Rattling Guard on Hilux Engine

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 15:39
ThreadID: 103542 Views:2348 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if someone can shed some light on a rattle that I have with a guard that is on the left hand side of my Hilux 5L Diesel engine... I have added pictures of the guard to show where it is.

The rattle is high pitched and sounds like metal on metal and I can tell that it comes from the underneath of it, but can't quite locate anything loose. If I pull the guard towards the drivers side door the rattle goes away for a while, but it's not long before it is back again. It's not overly concerning mechanical wise, but if you have ever chewed on al-foil... that's how I feel when the noise is at it's worst.

Can someone tell me what the guard is for and if you know what I can do about it? It's sending me insane.

Thanks.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Odog - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 16:15

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 16:15
Hey j4rchie, looks like its got a bolt, maybe just needs another washer to take up a bit of slack, and tighten up on the guard. Good luck, cheers odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 515839

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 18:00

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 18:00
The guard is a heat shield, to keep the heat of the exhaust off something.

It is very common for them to get rattly.

the bolts often wear in the holes or fall out or whatever.

a fresh new bolt, maybe a washer or two and you should have it fixed.

cheers
AnswerID: 515847

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 19:56

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 19:56
Gday
Check the plate for cracks around the bolt holes .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795146

Reply By: trains - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 18:07

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 18:07
As already mentioned, its common for the area around the bolt holes to finally fail/ crack etc, and the bolts no longer hold any real tension on the plate.
If and once that is addressed, and it still sets up an annoying vibration.

Put a slight bend in one corner, say 20mm in to change the resonance of the plate.
Test and see if its now outside of your normal operating vibration range.

Should be good to go.

Yes you should leave that there, its cuts out alot of radiant heat from the snails body.

Trains

AnswerID: 515901

Follow Up By: Member - Murray M2 - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:57

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:57
I have a 2005 MK mitsubishi triton dual cab diesel ute and have been to dealers about 4 times for a rattle that occurs on rough roads etc, not once have they found it when in for service etc. This sounds as if something is loose yet not once have they found it, all I hope is that it is not something that lets go at 100 KM HR AND SENDS BUSH WAYS.

I have totally lost confidence in them
FollowupID: 795196

Sponsored Links