Comment: Dalhousie to Finke via Bloods Ck

request details for the Gunbarrel highway condition from Wiluna to Warakurna. Any one done this trip lately. We have an 80 series diesel and a camper trailer. Thanks Terry H8

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 17:44

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 17:44
G'day Terry

The topic reads Dalhousie to Finke via Bloods Ck and you ask for details on the Gunbarrel Highway from Wiluna to Warakurna - mate I don't want to be a party pooper but you might want to check your vehicle ! It might not be an 80 series and a camper trailer - you might actually have a Pajero and a caravan ( lol )

Happy Travelling - wherever you are going in whatever you are driving !

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 515846

Reply By: Terry H8 - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 18:21

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 18:21
Sorry Guys, I have trainer wheels on for using this site consequently we have posted our next query under Dalhousie to Finke via Bloods Creek. We're travelling the Gunbarrel from Wiluna to Warakurna is the first part of our trip and once at Erldunda we will go to Dalhousie Springs via Finke. Terry H8
AnswerID: 515850

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 23:41

Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 23:41
Road's pretty good from Wiluna to Carnegie but gets a bit rough after that. You'll need to check your nuts and bolts fairly regularly! The section of the Gunbarrel after the Heather Highway turn off to Warakurna I think requires a permit.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 795157

Reply By: Terry H8 - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 12:38

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 12:38
Hi DingoBlue (WA), thanks for the reply. When did you last travel along the Gunbarrel - was it just a few weeks ago or many months ago. Terry H8
AnswerID: 515887

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:07

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:07
Gidday

It is a two years since I was there but I dont think it changes much.
The Gunbarrel from Wiluna to theshire boundary beyond Carnegie it is a maintained ourback dirt road. From there on it is an outback track with corrugations, washouts, stony bits and dusty bits and even the odd very short good bit. Parts of it are quite overgrown but that can change with a fire.
There are places where people have tried to dodge the corros by making new tracks, sometimes three or four of them. But they quickly get corrugated too. Whether one is better than the other, who knows? I wasnt going back for a second go!
The thing that might make it different is rain, when i suspect the track effectively becomes a creek and would probably be impassable in places if the washouts are any guide.
The usual advice applies, lower the tyre pressures, take your time and enjoy it. It is magic country and a great experience.

Cheers
AnswerID: 515909

Follow Up By: Terry H8 - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:55

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 19:55
Thanks rocco2010 - sounds very familiar to all other info I have received. Much appreciated, we have the time and I tend to agree with you, it is magic country but most of the Australian Outback is.
TerryH8
FollowupID: 795195

Sponsored Links