Comment: Maralinga Range Tour

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 03, 2013 at 22:49
ThreadID: 103553 Views:1641 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi Fellow trekers.
I was one of a party of 4WD's who went through this area some 25 or so years ago and the biggest problem was punctures.
The tracks were somewhat overgrown and when you drive over the small bushes the branches break with a long sharp spear like point. On the worst day our party had well over a dozen punctures. The vehicle I was in had I think 6 or 7 punctures so we had all our three spares plus a couple of others to repair before dinner that night. The country around Emu was all covered in regrowth and feeding the camels well. Fuel was a problem as we had extra tanks on the vehicle plus more on the bull bar and on the roof which got us from coober Pedy to Warburton mission with little to spare. A great trip with great country to see
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 15:51

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 15:51
Hi Graeme. Agree that the country around this region is fantastic. Was there twice last year including a trip out to Dingo Claypan and the 300 mile marker. Also went into Daisy Bates old camp and a few other side trips with the benefit of assistance from the locals. We also did the range tour which was a real highlight for my group. Fortunately and despite a few quite overgrown areas we suffered no punctures but having said that I had better check the Troopy out in the shed cos it might be flat now LOL. I think things are probably better now given increased traffic. Cheers, Leigh
AnswerID: 515891

Sponsored Links