Soon to leave on 4 month family trip

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 21:42
ThreadID: 103577 Views:1618 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

So we are soon to leave on our first big trip - 4 months off with the 3 kids. Pick up our new (and first) caravan this week. Have organised house sitters, done a first aid course and have a practise trip planned in a few weeks. I've booked the first few weeks accommodation as we run into school holidays and I didn't want to be stressed about finding a place to stay. The school exemption has been approved and I think we are ready to go!

We are heading west and then north from Adelaide, I know it's not the best time of year but it is our one chance to go so we are taking it! We plan to get to Ningaloo and then decide if we push on north and over to Darwin to watch some spectacular build up thunderstorms or turn around and head back more inland.

Just wondering if there is any advice you can offer me as first time caravanners and as it is our longest trip, previously we have only done 6 weeks at a time. Planning on travelling only 3-4 hours on most travel days with an occasional big drive to get through the kms!

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 22:30

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 22:30
Biggest advise I can give.

Take your time, Relax. Don't stress out at anything (easier said than done at times) and above all, enjoy yourself. Take time to smell the roses.
AnswerID: 515927

Reply By: Member - Burra - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 22:37

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 22:37
Hi
Age of kids is a big thing - we had 3 or 4 back packs with different toys and mixed it around as the kids were young. Now we probably need to make sure your apps are up to date and there is that contact available. But don't worry too much about the school work as they do more on the road reading the info, taking the costs per day is a good one - again age dependent, etc.

Head North, to Darwin and watch the build up we did it and loved it. Make sure at sun set you are in water or have good insect bug off . At Ningaloo, head down from Exmouth and snorkel off the National Park - the best.
AnswerID: 515928

Reply By: bluefella - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:04

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 08:04
Hi Tracey
Maybe spare fan belt(s), rad. hoses, for sure a fuel filter.
Best wishes.
AnswerID: 515933

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 12:49

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 12:49
TracyM,

You might want to check out David & Michelle's blog on their trip to Ningaloo recently.

Moral is.............be prepared
AnswerID: 515944

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:42

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:42
buy or hire a sat phone and learn how to use it, if you NEVER use it then it has been a good investment, like a good spare tyre :-)
That aside, pack as little as possible, I mean the absolute least and work on a "needs" basis, and buy it at next stop, when you have proved you do need it, we have travelled a bit and each trip we carry less and less and look back at all the stuff we did not need, it is extra weight and space ...
And have fun..
Cheers
AnswerID: 515979

Reply By: 410 - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 09:28

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 09:28
Hi Tracey
We have just completed a 6 month trip around with 3 primary aged children. We had no problems and had a great time. The one thing I can tell you that it is expensive an holiday. The diesel you use is a big cost on it's own and accommodation at caravan parks with children can be from $35 - $65 per night. We had portable DVD players for the children to fill in the long hours of travel and did school work as well. I have plenty of info if you would like more. Post your email and I will be in touch if you would like.
Regards
Richard
AnswerID: 515988

Sponsored Links