Gaynor Schoeman CSR walker should finish today.

Submitted: Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 10:12
ThreadID: 103580 Views:2848 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Gaynor finishes her walk today all going well; last night she camped about 15-18 kms north of Wiluna.

I suspect she will be in Wiluna around midday. She left Billiluna on the 31 May.

She sure is one tough lady check out her toes

You can follow her last kms by going here;
http://www.canningwalker.com/index.php/spot-tracking-maps

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 11:04

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 11:04
hi phil b
you beat me to it
I just checked her spot tracker position and she has less than 10k's to go
I agree she has set an example for all
those people
walking anywhere even to the local shops its one foot after the other
driven by a gigantic amount of determination and stamina
there must have been times when she has asked her self
what the hell and I doing this for ?
and would have had to fight the pain barriers and stress levels
it is a remarkable feat for two feet
I have followed her progress on a daily basis and have been astonished to say the least at her consistency in km's covered
she has set a new bench mark
the spot-tracker is a great device it has proved itself on this journey and I wouldn't hesitate buying one if I need one in the future

cheers barry
AnswerID: 515940

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 13:15

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 13:15
congratulations gaynor
you are a remarkable woman and a legend
enjoy a well deserved rest a hot shower and a real meal
cheers and good luck in your future
cheers barry
FollowupID: 795228

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 20:43

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 20:43
Well said Barry. Terrific effort Gaynor. Looking at the logistics involved it does make you appreciate even more the exploits of the early explorers.
FollowupID: 795255

Reply By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:29

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:29
To borrow a phrase from Phil's new book and give it a twist of my own:

Walk Completed, Canning Walker.

The first solo walk of the Canning Stock Route was completed on the morning of 5 August 2013 in Wiluna. It started on 31 May 2013 from Billiluna and took 66 days. I walked Every Step of the Way, without ever climbing into or on a vehicle at any time.

Although some definitions would class this walk as solo AND unsupported, that would fail to acknowledge the assistance the people who helped make this walk a success. First and foremost, Andy Suttcliffe who drove with me two weeks before the walk and dug in the supplies along the route, marking them and ensuring I found each and every one of them.

My 92 year old Gran, Muriel Van Der Leeuw who funded the bulk of my food supplies.

Outdoor Foods South Africa who fully sponsored many of my ready to eat meals by Wayfayrer.

Springbok Foods Australia who sponsored the balance of my food, in particular wheat free cereals, porridges and biltong/beef jerky.

And then there were my fellow Canning Travellers... You buoyed my flagging spirits and made it all worthwhile. I was extended a great many kindnesses and some of you gave me the best hugs ever.

I met a great many ExplorOz Forum Members on the Canning and each and every one one of you were a highlight on my journey. It was my privilege to spend a few moments in your company, and on the rare occasion, to share a campfire.

Let you know when there is something to read on my website.
AnswerID: 515989

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:04

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 16:04
Walk Completed, Canning Walker, good one Gaynor.

Well done Gaynor, you're an inspiration and your mental and physical strength to completed such a tough trip in my eyes is mind blowing.

Enjoy your success and all the best

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 795290

Follow Up By: Member - Neil L1 - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 21:44

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 21:44
Congratulations Gaynor, it was a privilege to meet you at Kunawarritji and to hear some of your story. Thanks for allowing me to take some photos. I trust the item we left for you at well 12 was still there. Now is the time to take a good long rest. You are one amazing lady.

Regards

Neil
FollowupID: 795312

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 23:26

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 at 23:26
Congratulations Gaynor... what an achievement... I hope you have your feet up & a cool drink or hot in your hands relaxing.
Best wishes
Tony H ex Balgo
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795318

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:47

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:47
It starts with the first step, Phil :-)

Before this walk I was anal about seeing the big picture, planning and working out back up plans for the multitude of things that I imagined could go wrong. Just never thought the bull camel would cause me my greatest concern and I had nothing but nerve and a bad singing voice to handle that one.

Neil, thank you. Yes, it was still there when I arrived and I left some of the Hammer Nutrition endurance fuel in the container for the Canadian and English cyclists as I still had plenty in my backpack.

Tony, thank you. Yes I am loving being back in civilisation. On many of my outback trips I became insular and ill at ease with people in the city. Not in this case. I am loving being around people and I think it has a lot to do with the people I met on the Canning and the warmth of my reception. On the Canning I met a group of like minded people who love the outdoors. It is good energy out there and I brought some back with me.
FollowupID: 795609

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:51

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:51
P.S. Just finished updating Facebook with photos, snippets and media articles. Still more to come, but now to focus on the Canning Walker website. There will be information and photos for those interested posted there by next week.
FollowupID: 795610

Sponsored Links