GPS tablet size

Hi all
Just decided what to do regarding mapping/gps. I intend to grab a Samsung Tablet, download mapping software & maps & utilise the built in gps.
My question is, what is a good size? It will be mounted in the Troopy.
Obviously if it is too big it stays off the dash which is fine by me...but I was just wondering what others are using in regard to screen size,, where & how they are mounted & why did you go with the size you have? Advantages/disadvantages?
Thanks
Stef
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:19

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:19
Stef I am using an iPad in a 79 series on a bracket that has it covering the factory head unit and it sits there nicely,does not impair windscreen vision or have a glare problem
I know you are looking at a tablet but size wise I would also consider a iPad mini if room was tight but reluctant to o smaller
I used to previously use a double din head unit with Ozi installed and the screen is too small without resorting to paper maps constantly for planning
AnswerID: 516056

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:30

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:30
Hi Stef,

I have setup my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to run OziExplorer.
Mounted it with a ClicOn dash mount. It is good, but I think just a tad too big.
HoldMyPhone ClicOn holder

My wife has recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and this is a better size for a vehicle mount. Still a good size but a little more compact than the 10.1.

I actually prefer the convenience and functionality of the Hema Navigator, so unless you are looking at the additional functionality of a tablet for other purposes, the Hema Navigator 6 will provide all you require for both voice guided Street navigation using iGo and Off-Road moving map navigation employing OziExplorer.
Also the Hema comes with all the maps you need, already set up to go.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516058

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 23:05

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 23:05
also make sure you know what you want to do with your tablet you can (get good advice ) I.E ... program , maps etc , does this samsungs have usb & data slots ?
is it a andriods ? ...... it can be a trap !!

good luck
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 795362

Reply By: Sandman - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:38

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:38
Stef

Google Nexus 7 with ozi works very well in the Prado. Its not too big and its very bright even in natural light. Also when buying a unit make sure you get the right "charging cable". I found out the hard way that simply plugging the nexus into the cigarette lighter wasnt going to work, 4 hours into our trip the battery went flat !

All sorted now after a bit of googling and making up a cable....

Dick Smith had the 16gb runout at $149....does a GREAT job :-)

Pete
AnswerID: 516059

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:41

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2013 at 19:41
Hi Stef,

I use a SAmsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 - the Swiss Army Knife of tablets:-)

If needed I run Copilot Live in the background giving turn-by-turn instructions (it has excellent outback roads, tracks and firetrails coverage) and in the foreground Oziexplorer so I can see where Copilot is sending me.

It's an excellent combination.

Plus we take paper maps as well - can't beat them for planning.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 516061

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:00

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:00
Hi Frank

This is a bit off topic but I have a query about the way you use the Galaxy and Copilot & Ozi.

We have more than 16Gb of maps, camps and town names with Ozi: Does the Galaxy have enough storage to 32Gb?

Is there a demo version of Copilot?

And lastly is Copilot a street navigation program or does it also cover the Canning Stock Route and tracks in the Simpson?

Sorry to be abother.

Phil
FollowupID: 795372

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 13:09

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 13:09
Phil the tablet comes with 16Gb but has a micro SD slot which will take up to 64Gb for a total of 80G

Oziexplorer, Memory Map or similar is what you need for places like CSR
FollowupID: 795378

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 13:19

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 13:19
Hi BB

My new box is still Windows CE and Ozi will do s fine. Haven't used the street navigation as yet. Not for me mate.

The grand daughter has a tablet and was asking.

I gather that Copilot is just street type navigation? Is that correct? Frank said that Copilot has "excellent outback roads, tracks and fire trails coverage". That's why I asked. If so it would be the easiest for them as a start to go camping in the high country around here.

Phil
FollowupID: 795379

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:33

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:33
Hi Phil,

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement a bit ...

"Copilot has excellent outback roads, tracks and fire trails coverage ... for a street navigator".

It has many, but not all.

It also has some funny ideas occasionally about which way to go and that's why I have Ozi in the foreground with a 25K or 100K detailed map so I can see what the little lady is suggesting :-) (CoPilot has no topo info).

I find the combination most useful in areas like state forests, nat parks, Vic High Country, NSW Snowies, etc.

For your grandies, it is a useful tool in the areas I mentioned but has thrown up a few quirky directions so I couldn't recommend it as a stand-alone tool. At least have a paper back-up so you can monitor it.

My Tab 7.7 is expanded to 48GB total. All my Ozi maps are on the 32GB micro SD. Not sure what the max expansion is - I thought it was 332GB but Boobook has got me thinking again.

CoPilot does not have a trial version, but it's not expensive. Aus and NZ in one package for about $35 I think.Mine's Android. Don't know if they have an iOS version. There is a Windows Mobile version.

Cheers mate
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795417

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:40

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:40
332GB??? Make that 32 :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795419

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:09

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:09
Thanks Frank. They are getting good with Ozi and with all the town maps from UBD in it I think they can stick with it. Let them figure out where turn etc. Teach them a bit of map reading, all-be-it digital. I tried to get the street navigation copied from our box but it is linked to the SD card identity and although I used that method back in the 80's to protect software I developed, I haven't got the will or the tools now to try and circumvent it. It's an old but very successful licencing tool.

They wont need 332GB

Tnx Phil

FollowupID: 795423

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:30

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:30
Frank, Samsung, and most android manufacturers originally said 32G max for micro SD. However in the Tab 2 case they revised the spec up.

In almost every case, a Sandisk 64G card will work in an android 32G Micro SD slot.

The issue is the formatting, and Sandisk format their cards with ExFat, the system required by Android, out of the box. Other 64G cards can be formatted with Exfat but you need to do a bit of work.

I got a 64G Sandisk Micro SD from MSY computers for $62. I even put one in my old Motorola Defy+ and it works great.
FollowupID: 795427

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 10:15

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 10:15
Thanks Boobook, I'll follow that up. My 32gig card is filling up - Hema GDT, all the insets, FNQ the same, Aus 250K, all of Vic in 25K, most of NSW in 100K, High Country Hema and Rooftop ... etc, etc

Can't have too many maps :-) Not me, anyway.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795432

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 13:09

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 13:09
LOL you sound like me.

If you get GSMR, you can add off line google sat photos to your collection, that will really need a 64G card.
FollowupID: 795440

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 13:12

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 13:12
Oops link didn't work.

GSMR
FollowupID: 795441

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:02

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:02
And don't get one with not enough memory.

We have an in dash VMS 7500 box with all the bells and whistles, blue tooth, rear camera and DVD feed to back seat for the kids plus a complete entertainment etc etc.

The 32Gb micro SD card is more than half full with 12.3Gb of OziCE and all its maps and camps and town names data. Then there is all the standard VMS off road and street navigation folders with 14Gb in them.

I know that you have made your mind up but be aware that loose items like windscreen mounted phones and gps's etc can fly around the car in a prang and come loose on rough and/or corrugated roads. You can't call "stuck" a solid mount.

Make sure you get a solid, bolted mount that is good and strong and out of the way of the console and more importantly yourself and any passenger. Personaly we would not even trust or want one of those RAM mounts. Some do and good luck to them.

We recently had a misshap and it's amazing what comes loose. Luckily no one was hurt.

Phil
AnswerID: 516079

Reply By: WBS - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 07:09

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 07:09
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 on which I run OziExplorer. For maps I use NATMAP Digital Maps 2008 as well as Hema. I think this tablet is too big to mount at the front of the vehicle. If and when my old Windows CE based 7" inch GPS dies I'll be getting a 7" Tablet running Android. It is as big as I need.

I won't load a street navigator like Co-Pilot, Tom Tom etc on it. My preference is to run a separate Street Navigator unit such as a Tom Tom , Garmin etc simply because I then don't have to switch between the OziExplorer and the other software while driving (I mean stopping, changing apps, then driving on). I just look at the other gadget when I enter a town.
WBS
AnswerID: 516116

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:05

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:05
Very good point , I found the same issue running offroad and street maps on the same unit.
Two separate units is much better and a street navigator is only $100
FollowupID: 795415

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:52

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:52
Yeah, agreed. I can run CoPilot on my phone if I don't want to change screens on the tab.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795421

Sponsored Links