Noise from electric brakes WHEN STOPPED!!!

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:30
ThreadID: 103670 Views:2378 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have looked through a few treads on electric brakes but could not find any reference to my problem. Maybe someone has a suggestion.
Journeyed with our Prado and Goldstream Explorer ST for a day and then stopped for the night. Left everything connected for a quick start the next morning. Was woken up several times during the night with a slight ticking sound from under the caravan. This would have occurred every 4 - 5 seconds. Next morning I got underneath and heard the sound coming from both wheels. It was not cooling down noises as it was 8 hours after stopping and the gear was stone cold especially after a 4 degree night.
The next night after stopping again I heard the same sound. After unplugging the electrical connections from the Prado the sound stopped. It was obviously the electric brakes causing the noise. I have a Tekonsha P2 brake controller that appears to be working well when required. Any suggestions anyone?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:57

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:57
Hi Kenrconn,
we had a similar problem when we first brought our van and I found if I pulled the brake on that stopped the ticking sound, what it actually is I don't know what is causing it similar answer, but that is how I stopped it, I also found if I didn't pull the brake on hard enough it would continue until I did. Your problem maybe the same or completely different, that is my best guess and I hope it helps you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516080

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 13:24

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 13:24
Kenrconn
The only thing which could cause that is a pulse of energy from the controller.
Since the barking controller uses timed pulses according to the braking effort required, it is not unreasonable to assume that the controllers timing circuit is having an attack of Parkinsons or is in fact affected. So when all is not going, the circuitry continues to make little checking pulses all the time.

It does do some checking to see if the trailer is connected or not.
I think it is an integrated circuit fault in the internal "chip".

If yo disconnect the trailer plug or the power to the controller over night it won't do it.

OR

Replace the controller.

Ross M
AnswerID: 516086

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 19:42

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 19:42
Ross,
I am glad I don't have a woofer as a controller. That would keep me up all night for sure.

FollowupID: 795395

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 20:17

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 20:17
Rockape
Well spotted.
The Barking controller is a lysdexic braking controller. Since etidign isn't awolled me can do nuffin about it.
I could of course proof read sometimes though.
I just love pressin da button real quick like, yeah man.
FollowupID: 795398

Reply By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 18:09

Thursday, Aug 08, 2013 at 18:09
You aren't alone, our Tekonsha Prodigy does the same thing, and has done since new. Not a big noise just a little tick that you can only hear when all other noise stops - like when you are going to sleep!!!. We simply unplug it for overnight stops and hopefully remember to replace the plug next morning.
AnswerID: 516100

Reply By: Jarse - Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 05:50

Friday, Aug 09, 2013 at 05:50
The Prodigy normally goes into sleep mode after a period of time. It could be that if there's movement in the vehicle or the camper then it wakes the controller up.

It also has self-diagnostics for things such as single brake outage, etc. it could possibly be the controller sending some current down the lines to check that the all the magnets are working.

My P2 does it all the time.
AnswerID: 516114

Follow Up By: Kenrconn - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:36

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:36
Thanks a lot for the feedback.. Good to know that i wasnt imagining it as my wife could not hear it. Also good to know that other people have the same problem and doesnt seem to be a major issue.
Thanks for your replies guys.
FollowupID: 795721

Follow Up By: Kenrconn - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:37

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:37
Thanks a lot for the feedback.. Good to know that i wasnt imagining it as my wife could not hear it. Also good to know that other people have the same problem and doesnt seem to be a major issue.
Thanks for your replies guys.
FollowupID: 795722

Sponsored Links