Black Wolf Turbo Lite Plus 300

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 10, 2013 at 21:15
ThreadID: 103708 Views:2740 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Having just returned from a trip to The Kimberley with a hired camper trailer I've come to the conclusion that we need to get rid of our old tent and get a quick erect tent (can't afford a decent camper trailer just yet)

Am thinking of the above mentioned tent and am looking for people's experiences with them and if they stand up to the rigours of 4WD touring well, also is the "lite" fine or is the "heavier" tent worth the extra $500 approx?

I know the Oztents are highly regarded but with a family of 4 I think even an RV5 could be a bit small for us and they are a bit more expensive than the turbo tents.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 00:33

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 00:33
We own exactly that tent - bought it before we got the Tvan and now it sits in the garage as a spare. It survived some bad rain and strong winds really well.

Its a nice large tent but takes a little time to put up - I wouldn't want to do too many overnighters in it. Sorting out the fly takes as much time as putting up the tent. And of course its too big to go back in the bag it came in! We can get the tent and fly back in with a bit of persuasion, and leave the pole bag out. Packing it up takes a bit of effort - even after we'd owned it for a couple of years.

The "lite" material is adequate. Main hassle is that the floor is stiffer material that creases. My daughter has the canvas version. If you are planning on using it a heap, then get the canvas version. If its only a couple of trips a year, the lite would be fine.

AnswerID: 516199

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:37

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:37
How many times have you actually used it? as we couldn't get it in the first time we tried but have ever since and not a tight squeeze either has a bit of room to move.

And have it erected and fully set up in under 5mins.
FollowupID: 795607

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 18:38

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 18:38
Had it about 5 years and probably put it up 30 times.
My question to you is what model do you own?
FollowupID: 795628

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 18:59

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 18:59
Hehe - Just scrolled down and saw your reply!
Yours is the canvas version and mine is the lite. Our floor on our lite is pretty rigid and doesn't fold well - might be part of the reason for the difference. I think our bag must be smaller than yours too.

5 mins.... - It takes me 5 mins to lay out a groundsheet and get the thing out of the bag and try to find the front! The springy poles for the main tent takes no time at all. Peg it out with at least 7 pegs. Then line up the fly and clip it all in. Put the rear poles together and slip them in. Then the two poles for the awning. Must add that my wife doesn't like erecting tents :-) so I put it up solo. Takes me 15 minutes. Packing it up is at least 20mins.

Our daughter bought a 240 plus after seeing ours but she wisely opted for the canvas version. But their tent takes as long as ours to pack, but from memory she can get it all back in the bag with poles.
FollowupID: 795630

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:50

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:50
Hahaha My husband must be lucky I help out so that would definitely help with the time.

Must say I would take your 15mins any day over some other tents, we offered to take our friends tent away and set up as it was a busy period and space was taken quickly and they weren't coming down til the next day and lets just say wont be doing that ever again took us well over an hour to put this ridiculous thing up it had 4 sections for 3 people go figure.
FollowupID: 795662

Reply By: patsproule - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:47

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:47
We have a turbo 300 that is well over 10 years old and has endured many a trip. It is the heavier version but the design is still the same. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Erecting is dead simple - peg out the 4 corners, lock in the legs with a simple lift & click, then climb inside and push up. We leave our fly connected but simply unclipped at the lower end and this saves considerable time. 10 mins from unloading off the car to fully erect including a few guy ropes for wind security is usually all it takes us. Similar to pack up. They have a few nice little touches too like internal storage pouches, sealed inlets for power leads, hangers for lights and cables etc. A friend has one of the 300 lites with the extra back room and that takes a bit longer. Phoenix Leisure Group who supply them are reportedly very good on warranty too.

Pat
AnswerID: 516208

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 12:12

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 12:12
We had the same tent before we bought our CT, it is well worth the money and is dead simple to put up and take down. It also offers a lot of room.
FollowupID: 795531

Reply By: Litlbalt - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 13:56

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 13:56
We have the Canvas version of the 300 plus and LOVE it. We are also a family of 4 and fit perfectly with a bit of room inside for our bags etc.

We were in it for a month last year putting it up and down practically everyday and had no problems was very quick up and down and had no troubles getting it back in the bag with all the gear as well. I would and have highly recommend this tent to friends. We went the canvas version as when we bought ours the lite had a thinner floor and read many bad reports about it but they have since changed the floor to the same as the canvas type, however we would still go the canvas.

It is pretty heavy but I (female) have carried it on my shoulder a good 10-15m by myself I can also put it up by myself I just can't get it onto our roof racks.

Hope this helps with your decision making any questions just ask.

Mrs Litlbalt

AnswerID: 516293

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:40

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 14:40
Must also add to anyone looking at the canvas type the try and lift it up to where you would be carrying it like your roof racks to make sure you can actually lift it up over your head. As you may be able to carry it but lifting it up over your head is a whole different ball game.
FollowupID: 795608

Sponsored Links