Bruce Highway to the Burdekin Falls Dam

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 12:46
ThreadID: 103715 Views:3816 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for the best way to get from Proserpine to the Burdekin Falls Dam in a Mitsubishi PA Challenger towing a 17 ft Coromal off road pop top. I see a turn at Giru through to the Flinders Highway but I was wondering about the suitability of the minor road from Ayr to Ravenswood.
I would appreciate comment from those familiar with the area.
Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 13:35

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 13:35
That road is fine if it is the one across to Woodstock you are talking about. Nice drive.

You can also go further along the Bruce toward Ayr and tun off to Clare then on up the range to Ravenswood. Just a little steep but your rig will handle it easily.
AnswerID: 516219

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 16:06

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 16:06
Kev,
just re read your post and see you are in Prossy.

Just after you have crossed the Burdekin Bridge south to north, turn left onto Ayr Dalberg road and then right on the Ayr Ravenswood Rd.

The reason I have said about crossing the Burdekin is Home Hill also has another united servo as you enter it from the south.

Nice drive and as said you vehicle will do it easy.
FollowupID: 795541

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 17:56

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 17:56
Thanks Rockape. I figured that you were mentally travelling south. I've checked the road out on Google Earth and it looks quite good. We'll give it a try.
Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795543

Reply By: Ted G - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:13

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:13
Hi Kevin
I am presently at Cannon Valley heading up that way tomorrow,
Check your fuel as there is only some fuel at Ravenshoe if you are lucky and willing to pay, better to go on the way to Charters Towers Hwy but don't rely on the maps for the mileage to Burdeken Dam 3 maps all different and none right.
Regards
Ted
AnswerID: 516223

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:00

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:00
Thanks Ted. Google maps shows 161 km from Home Hill to the Burdekin Falls air strip and 158 km on to Charters Towers. That's 319 km and I have about 100 km more than that in fuel. But I appreciate your comment. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be no fuel at Ravenswood. Enjoy your trip.
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795545

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:16

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:16
Hi Kevin,
We were there a couple of weeks ago as stated the road in was a little steep but you should handle it with ease. Fantastic little caravan park in there and you may need a little extra fuel to sight see around the dam (probably about 20 odd k's extra). There is a bit of history of the dam posted in one of the Gov buildings near the caravan park.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 516233

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 20:21

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 20:21
remember there is no food or fuel available at the dam its self.

And there is not a hell of a lot in Ravenswood either...its a two pub town.

On the way there it is well worth a stop at the railway hotel in Ravenswood....the lunches are excelent and value.
Worth having a look around Ravenswood while you are there

If you decide to take the road from Giru to Woodstock..its well surfaced, easy and pretty well flat, just be aware of the drop away cement creek crossings.
Avoid traveling west on this road late in the afternoon in winter......you will be driving directly into the setting sun.

My brother travels that road to fish pretty regular.

Be aware that the road into the dam travels thru several cattle properties and there is stock(and $h!t) on the road most of the way.
The stock are generally reasonably well educated, but you do get the odd...er..um.."less well adjusted cow", so take it easy and don't trust em.

Also be aware that it is a fair way into the dam from the highway and its a fairly slow trip with the stock, so allow for time and fuel, to get in and out.

There is a camp..I think its free, on the main highway, on the eastern bank of the Burdican heading into charters if ya running out of daylight.......don't expect to find a stick of firewood for miles though.

If you've made Ravenswood and ya running out of light, I believe the railway hotel has "caravan out the back" arrangements.

cheers
AnswerID: 516244

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 20:24

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 20:24
OH...BTW there is fuel and basic groceries at Woodstock.

cheers
FollowupID: 795563

Reply By: mkey l - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 17:48

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 17:48
thank you for your informative post. I'm not familiar with that place. But I want to keep an Idea for that place because soon I've plan to travel .
AnswerID: 516305

Sponsored Links