Express Media Group & Overlander

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:20
ThreadID: 103719 Views:2966 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a couple of magazines and actively did not buy 4wd Action due to the conflict of interest that they have in owning / having shares in 4wd accessory companies and providing unbiased opinions as a result, so I bought 4x4 Australia and Overlander 4WD.

Well, read 4x4 Australia - good read with a disclaimer in the Black Widow drop down fridge slide as Ron Moon had done a video for Black Widow previously and was doing the report - don't have an issue with this as it was disclosed and 4x4 Australia don't have, to my knowledge, any financial investment in Black Widow.

I then started to read Overlander and then Glen Hadden had an article in there - curious, then found adverts for Roo Systems, and an article in Aftermarket Accessories P38 for TigerZ11 Roof Rack.

Just went onto the EMG Website and no disclosure that they own Overlander but in the magazine you can subscribe to guess who - Express Media Group.

Well that's the last time I buy this magazine as I don't like the way they operate by pushing their products in our faces as was blatant in 4wd Action.

I have no particular axe against EMG but I think that they should be upfront in their dealings.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopy 47 - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:29

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 15:29
Couldn't agree more i won't buy it for the same reason.
AnswerID: 516224

Reply By: Barry 2 - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 17:02

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 17:02
My thoughts exactly
I was a subscriber for several years but I don't like the way they gone.
Each to there own !!

Barry - Southern Cross Dreaming...
AnswerID: 516228

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:10

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:10
Overland was a good mag up til 18mths ago when they took it over, it's interesting every mag they own seem to follow the same format including Trucking Life, my view is anything from this mob eventually turns into a Hoon mag with no real substance BUT a heap load of advertising for their own benefits.

Every other catalogue you get is usually FREE!

Hopefully the mag world wont go down the same path as Coles and Woolworths......
AnswerID: 516231

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:19

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:19
cookie1
You sound like your over thirty five years, as most under that seem to believe anything that is written in magazines and buy on the advice given in them. As you said, unbiased of course.

I have just been reading through some older caravan magazines and the bearded ruffian who is their "Old Dog" of caravan advice is there too. I get a good laugh out of some of the advice as it is similar to write ups in 4wdAction.

Being "transparent", isn't a concept deemed to be important.

Ross M
AnswerID: 516234

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:55

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 18:55
roo systems and tigerz all tied up w/ 4wd action which does compromise their "tests" a bit but you can read between the lines to a large degree

having said that, I don't mind reading them now and then and their dvds have actually improved since the Pat Callinan/Roothy days

not had a subscription for a good few (7/8 ??) years now. Anyone subscribe to Overlander? Any good?
AnswerID: 516235

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 20:38

Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 at 20:38
The other issue with Overlander now is that like all their other titles is, they recycle & repackage articles like there was some sort of word shortage or something.

Y very likely to see the same article just differently edited in overlander as you would in 4wdaction.

cheers
AnswerID: 516248

Sponsored Links