What Places & things to avoid when visiting Cape York...

Submitted: Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 19:49
ThreadID: 103738 Views:2491 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Guys....
I know there's plenty of info on Cape York, but I haven't too much info on "What to Avoid" when you're up at the Cape so I thought I would ask the question here..... These would be places where u would be better off using that time else where up at The Cape.... if u know what I mean....

Places that I've read to avoid was Ussher Point (reason unknown) and Portland Roads (sth of Chilli Beach). I never found out the reasons why.... maybe due to it always being windy...

So, for those that have been up there, I'm looking at places where people believe that our time would be better spent esle where....

Is Thursday Island worth a visit ??

Let the list begin.....

cheers....
RobM
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike SK - Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 23:21

Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 23:21
Was up at TI a few weeks ago. Would not have bothered if i knew. Cost @$500 for family to get there from sesia including 'tour'. Cultural centre was closed. Fort was ok but not worth the $s. just my experience.
AnswerID: 516323

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 07:12

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 07:12
G'day, was in TI a few weeks ago also, sounds like the same day as the gentlemen above, new cultural centre was closed for a visit by the Governor General. Loved the place, will definitely visit again. Needed to spend more time at the fort and one day is not long enough to appreciate TI fully. Yes, it was expensive to visit, but in my mind worth it. Long way to travel, so may as well see as much as you can.

As to places not to visit, each have there own thoughts on what is good and what isn't. Some will say Chilli Beach is too windy so don't go, but to us, it was one of the highlights of the trip, one of the others being TI. We went out to Mapoon from Weipa, probably a wasted trip, but that is my opinion only.

Enjoy your trip.

PS. Portland Roads is North of Chilli Beach

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516327

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:47

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:47
Not sure if the issue has been resolved but there was a bit of a problem concerning the area around Palmerville. There was some suspicion regarding the behaviour of some mob of local land owners. Apparently the police were involved and as far as I know charges may have been laid.
Others may have more up to date information.
I have also head that some overgrown lizards up that way can get a little unfriendly at times...lol.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 516333

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 21:06

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 21:06
In 2010 the main Palmerville protagonist was still running wild, a delusional troppo landowner on the Palmerville to Maytown track. Our travelling group decided not to take the risk, though it was a gazetted public road.

I think he has since been locked up (murder or manslaughter charges laid and upheld in the last year or so), but it would pay to do some further research.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795703

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 15:10

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 15:10
Thanks Guys.... keep it coming...

Thursday Island will be interesting as there is 5 of us, so, I don't know what the cost will be for us. I'll have to look into what there is to see on TI....

What about Ussher Point.... what is there to see?

Chilli Beach is on our list to see, not sure about Portland Roads though, but I guess its just down the road....

Virlya Point..... I've heard that this a yes to see.... ??
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 516340

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 16:40

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 16:40
G'day Rob

No point in missing Portland Roads if you go to Chili (the correct spelling) Beach - there's a hint of the remains of a jetty which was used during WW2, and there's a plaque to the ill-fated Kennedty expedition which passed through in 1848. If the Out of the Blue cafe is still open, then you are in for some of the best tucker on the penninsula. Lockhardt River, south of Chili Beach, is also worth a visit, particularly the airport, with the signage that gives an insight into the extent of WW2 activity in the immediate area.

It's pretty much all good, and the only thing to avoid is trying to do it all too quickly.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 795676

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 17:28

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 17:28
G'day again Rob

If you want to see what some folks find interesting about Chili Beach/Portland Roads, check out Thread 84849.

I finished up writing an article that was published in On The Road magazine in August 2011.

Cheers
John

FollowupID: 795682

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 19:37

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 19:37
Hi Rob ,our trip was in May 2008. Iron Range National Park is what you must drive thru to get to Chili etc. Plenty of fun creek crossings, one of which is my thumbnail. It will be a lot drier if you are going soon at the end of the Dry.
Some tragic WW2 history at Iron Range airport, Portland Roads had a rough track into it but you may as well see it.
Capt Billy IS windy but Vrilya being on the western side is sheltered. A fun drive up the beach to the rusty wreck. Probably won't be much left by now.
Visit the Croc tent and get info about the Tip then do the 5 beaches 4WD - that's a good day. Spend at least 4 days up at Seisia so you can visit a new spot each day. The radar at Muttee Head is another trip as is Punsand bay and the trashed Pajinka.
See all the pix in Places which should be underlined..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795691

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 15:45

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 15:45
Best thing to avoid on The Cape are the bogans driving the PDR at about 130kph!

As for other places, what some people like others don't. We love Portland Roads and stay there every trip but give Weipa a miss now.

Charlie's is a must see just to say you've been there.

Captain Billy's is too windy and is often over run with bogans.

AnswerID: 516342

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:44

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:44
I agree about Captain Billy's Landing, To wind and not much to see or do.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795725

Reply By: craigandej - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 21:01

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 21:01
On our way home now after 5 weeks up on the Cape. We loved Chili Beach, a bit windy but we live on the east coast so wind wasn't an issue.
Also had a great time at Capt. Billy Landing (on our own for 2 nights).
Vrilya Point was interesting, but the road in was the worst encountered on our entire trip. Really badly corrugated. Sandflies were thick there too.

We have 2 kids under 4 so some areas were better suited to us than others. If you fish a lot you would have a different view again on the best spots.

Chillagoe (caves) was worth a visit also for a different way home via Palmerville Rd.

Cheers

AnswerID: 516412

Sponsored Links