Mazda Bravo upgrades

Submitted: Monday, Aug 12, 2013 at 20:19
ThreadID: 103740 Views:12796 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys, i have a 2005 mazda bravo freestyle cab chassis 2.5l turbo diesel 5 speed manual.

im very happy my car but i always want more upgrades. the new problems that i am finding are lift and power.

i have looked into increasing the power and my only option is for an exhaust. i dont mind getting one, but no one can guarantee noticeable performance. low down the power is fine. but when im sitting on 110 and want to overtake i am lacking in the extra boost haha.

will an exhaust help me with this? is so what size? i dont want to swap turbos because i like the low down power. and i cant chip it.

i have an old man emu heavy duty suspension setup already but im thinking of an upgrade to a 50mm lift all round. is this the maximum lift available for the Bravos? i know you can get body lifts but im not a fan of them. i have swapped the 15inch wheels too 16inch for a few extra mm.

would love to know some more info on these two things.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 08:31

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 08:31
You will get a bit more power but no where near as much as the current crop of 4x4 utes have.

You will get people telling you to keep it because ???????.... and others saying sell it because??????.

You're the only one who can make the call, is you think it's worth upgrading do it, if you think you would be better off with a new 4x4 do it.

The exhaust and a chip (if available) will make a difference but it won't turn it into a rocket ship.

With the lift why don't you phone some suspension places and ask!
AnswerID: 516329

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:13

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:13
I agree with olcoolone, the bigger wheels would have taken some of the sting out of your vehicle, but would have given better fuel economy depending on the foot on the pedal method of economy hard or soft. have fun with my two bobs worth
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 795666

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 13:22

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 13:22
hi max
I have a 1997 mazda bravo diesel
with safari after market turbo which boosted the standard 64kw motor to 97 kw that made a big difference I drove and towed a 16 ft full height viscount caravan all over the place with it until 2005 when I sold the van

2yrs ago I upgraded the exhaust from its standard 1.75inch to a mandrel bent 2.5 inch pipe with a truck muffler (the safari already had a dump pipe to suit the 2.5inch exhaust)

the new one is straight through the original muffler was very restrictive in design and pipe size more like a choker than a muffler
the difference after this upgrade was quiet noticeable and cost $600 and imho was money well spent
its only got 146000 genuine k's on the clock
I also extended the sides and top of the snorkel scoop/head by 40mm so it gathers much more air
this has shown up on the boost gauge
before I did this the boost would take forever to rise but now the boost comes on immediately the revs rise or between 2nd and 3rd gear change when starting off

olcoolone says chip it
but as far as i know yours is pre- electronic age like mine so cant be chipped

as far as the suspension goes
i had 1 extra leaf put in the original rear spring packs which gave a slight lift together with tough-dog foam cell shocks all round this firmed up the original suspension which was very wishy washy especially when towing and to me has proved very satisfactory and enough as i have been all over the place with convoy groups and alone without problems including CSR etc without needing and more clearance underneath

as far as i know 2inch is the max legal lift before the boys in blue start to look at it

personally its your money spend it if you want
to but to me its a waste but that depends what type off tracks you have in mind?????
mine has 16inch wheel stock standard but yours came out with 15inch rims a different diff ratio and gearbox to my older model
its your call mate
cheers
AnswerID: 516337

Reply By: Member - Max H - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 19:44

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 19:44
i wont be selling my vehicle thats for sure. i knew that getting bigger wheels and tires was going to affect the performance of my bravo. it has helped at top speed tho, before i put on the tires the speedo was out by at least 5ks and now its dead on. also while sitting at 110 it doesn't rev as high then what it was doing before on the smaller wheels and tires. as for the fuel economy, i had an aftermarket cruise control installed and have never regreted it haha.

my engine is mechanical so i cant chip it. i have found a place in adelaide that seems to know their stuff and they say the best thing for me is to dyno tune it and adjusted the boost (a little only) and the check the wastegate is working right. they say if they give it little tweaks it will improve my top end speed. and thats what im looking for. he said i could go for the exhaust but a dyno will give noticeable differences straight away.

as for the suspension. i take this thing every where. i just want to get my diff off the ground a bit more. i take it everywhere the cruisers do but sometime i just need that extra few mm to get over things.

thanks for the help guys. keep them coming :D
AnswerID: 516357

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 20:43

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 20:43
Suspension will not help increase the distance from the ground to the diff, tyre size can only do that.

But a suspension lift will help off road.

FollowupID: 795697

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:24

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:24
( I just want to get my diff off the ground a bit more )??????????

you will have to go to 33 or 35 inch tyres

or use

wheel ramps or a trolley jack

because it wont matter if you raise the suspension 6 inches

the diff will still have the same clearance ????????
FollowupID: 795737

Sponsored Links