gps dvd double din

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 13:59
ThreadID: 103744 Views:3003 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Decided to purchase a new head unit to fit 1999 100 series. I can spend $500 to $2000 on these but which one ? Do I go the cheap Chinese or Kenwood Pioneer brands ? anyone had any experience good or bad.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 15:57

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 15:57
I am a teeny weeny bit biased and want you to know that up front.

Three years ago we purchased a VMS 3000 for our 2005 100 series. Recently we had a meeting with a rock wall that destroyed the side of the car and the shocks that went through the body of the car also broke some electronic kit installed in the car. We now have a VMS 7500 in the dash. We have a preference for the rougher high country and have driven many of the heavily corrugated roads in the deserts without a problem with the unit.

It runs a WindowsCE platform. It has both VMS street (new version is impressive) and an inbuilt off road navigation programs. We use OziexplorerCE on it. I haven't tried the VMS one as I like Ozi and am not going to change to another one if it "ain't broke".

It's entertainment utilities like the AM/FM radio, single DVD/CD slot, MP3 player are fully integrated with the cars stereo system. It has blue tooth, rear view camera and rear seat video feeds for the kids. It also has a USB and an iPOD input ports. There may be more but that's all that I use. The new screen is HD and about 20mm larger than the old one. Excellent screen display and much better menus than the earlier model.

And as a bonus the inbuilt turn and warning voices are in a pleasant english voice.

Current map storage of 32Gb is on a micro SD card. I think that it can go higher. The microphone is now externally located wherever you want it instead of in the dash unit.

Because insurance paid for the replacement I cannot tell you the price. I think that it is on the VMS site.

Totally reliable over the last three plus years.

And I have had some excellent post sales help since purchasing it.

VMS home page

Phil

AnswerID: 516343

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:15

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:15
I am at the other end of the scale to Phil, buying a cheap unit from Brash Imports. The unit does everything that the VMS unit does (although the only offroad mapping is OziExplorer which I have loaded heaps of maps onto, and the street mapping is IGo - which is fantastic). I have 2x reversing cameras hooked up - one pointing at the tow ball and the other on the roof rack so I can see in the boat when I am towing it. I have a 32Gig USB for music which is fantastic. I have had it now for about 3 years
What I dont like:
The touch screen is sometimes a pain to use
The Green lights (matching the dash lights) have now reverted to Red - don't know why or how??)
When using the mapping the music stops playing (I think I can fix this, but haven't tried yet)

What I like:
The price is great
Everything works well
It has a 2-zone function to hook up DVD screens for the kids in the back, and to be able to listen to music in the front
It has lasted 3 years without any problems...
AnswerID: 516349

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:18

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:18
Drew, hi, had a problem with my GPS touchscreen and found that the sun shining on it negated the touchscreen function, maybe try shading it and it may work. May not also, lol. Good luck.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 795686

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:21

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:21
The music on one of our son's units does the same. Turns music and entertainment off when on Ozi.

That doesn't worry him though and you may be the same.

Phil
FollowupID: 795687

Follow Up By: greygonads - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:26

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 18:26
Thanks for your inputs Drew and Phil. The one I was looking at was at Dig Options, similar to the brash model. Both are backed by aust support in Melb.
FollowupID: 795688

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 20:28

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 20:28
I have no affiliation with any of the GPS companies, however after a couple of phonecalls to David Brash from Brash imports to work out which adaptor cable I needed he mentioned his mate ran Dig Options, but didn't install the Ozi maps on it. It may be worth confirming this with Dig Options and Brash Imports.
On a side note - my cousin installed a Brash Imports unit in his 2001 FZJ100, and loves it... (Although it is mainly used in the radio function).
FollowupID: 795694

Follow Up By: greygonads - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 20:53

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2013 at 20:53
Thanks Drew, that's just the sort of info to help make a decision, and why forums like this are such a great resource.
FollowupID: 795700

Follow Up By: Penchy - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 08:02

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 08:02
agreed. this has helped me also as I am in the same position as gonads. No way am I forking out the big coin for VMS/Polaris when these options are available.
FollowupID: 795715

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 08:26

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 08:26
Good on you Greygonads.

Just make sure that everything that you want including radio and music runs when your off road navigation is running. My son assumed it would be and now he is quite cheesed off. He even left the navigation off so that the kids could watch a DVD/video while mobile (sensible) and just followed me when we were up on the Cape without navigation. He has one of those ChInese "compatables".

Guys I know exactly what you mean about mega bucks. Okay!!! You make a choice. We chose not to have an external antenna for the wife's mobile because we needed an extra fuel tank. The son chose to get two screens for the back for the kids to be entertained.

Have a good one

Phil

PS I am not affiliated with anyone or anything either.
FollowupID: 795716

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 21:12

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2013 at 21:12
Yes - please research your options before buying, and ensure every claimed feature works as soon as you receive the product. I still think I took a risk in buying a cheap option over brand name one such as VMS, Polaris, or HEMA, and so far it has worked out for me, however next week it might decide not to work any more, and it is money wasted....
If I was to do it again, I wouldn't worry about the offroad Nav, and would get one that suction cups onto the windscreen....
FollowupID: 795765

Sponsored Links