Flat spots on tyres gu

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:47
ThreadID: 10379 Views:2352 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
A question on the tyres they have put on the gu patrol as standard.They are Bridgestone dueller A/T.
I have the 3.0 2002 guiii patrol and my mate also has one and pulled in behind me the other day and we were having a chat (as you do), when he said are your tyres wearing out in the middle, wasn`t to sure so we had a look and yep it was like a big hollow in the middle, and his were the same.
After getting home put the tyre guage on the tyres to check pressure and they were all at 38psi which i thought to be ok. 2 rear tyres had a hollow and 1 front had a smaller hollow and the other front didn`t which was starting to confuse me.I have let the 3 tyres down to about 33 to try and get more life out of them, since i have only done 17,000ks.
Is the correct pressure for the tyres 38 or is this only when carrying a load.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patsy - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:20

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:20
We have a 2002 4.2 ST Turbo Diesel Flat Tray with a compact slide on camper (360kg) which also came with Bridgestone dueller A/Ts. Our vehicle has now done 65,000 kms of which 25,000kms have mostly been done on gravel/sand roads (like Tanami, Oodnadatta, Simpson Desert, Great Tablelands, Kimberley region). We have always ran our tyres down a little in pressure on bitumen roads anyway (26 in the front and 28 in the back without the camper, 26 in the front and 38 in the back with the camper) and down a little more when on the gravel roads and carrying the camper (26 in the front and 28 in the back and down to 14 in the front and 18 in the back crossing the French Line in the Simpson). We have had no trouble with the tyres wearing out in the middle. Our tyres are due for a change only now and they have worn pretty evenly. If anything, they are worn slightly more on the outside edge of the tyres (probably due to driving on bitumen with them slightly deflated but this improves the comfort of the ride even more). We are planning another 3 month holiday shortly and have decided to go for the Cooper ST's next time as we have heard so much about how good they are, not that we have been disappointed with the Bridgestones.
AnswerID: 45944

Follow Up By: tim - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:47

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:47
Most at this stage has been on the black top.
Tim
FollowupID: 307909

Follow Up By: Wayne - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:21

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:21
Hi Patsy, Sorry if i'm a little off the line of this thread. but I'm curious about your Slide-on. What breed is it etc? Thanks, Wayne
FollowupID: 307916

Follow Up By: Patsy - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:45

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:45
Hi Wayne
Our camper is a Trayon Seeker with which we are very happy indeed with. You can view it at www.trayon.com It is fully fitted out and it takes us 2 minutes to set up and pack up. Whilst it has the ability of being removed and left on legs, we have never bothered as we find it is quicker and easier to pack it up and take it with us and it goes over all terrain no matter how bad. (The bed stays made up too).
At this stage in our travelling life, we can only get away on annual leave (sometimes managing 6 week stretches) and cannot afford the time to spend too long in any one place. Starting in May though, I have 4 months leave of absence & hubby has long service leave plus accumulated annual leave. We plan on leaving Tassie, heading for Cameron Corner (again), down Strezlecki & up the Bridsville Track to cross the Simpson again (via WAA Line this time) and back to Alice (this will be our 5th visit here). From there it will be meeting up with friends to travel out past Ayers Rock to do the Old Abondoned Gunbarrel to Wiluna and down to Kalgoorlie, leaving our 1st lot of friends and to meet other friends who are doing the Canning Stock Route with us. Will continue through the Kimberley to finish off seeing what we haven't seen before (we beleive in always leaving something for the next time to see) before continuing right across the top end and up to Cape York before meandering our way back home via the east coast. It is the trip I have been waiting for all my life. All other trips have been just to see what areas we liked (we have found we love the desert and the outback)and for the experience for doing it all. Of course it took us many years planning and saving to get ourselves set up for it in the first place and with our 2002 4.2 TD ST Patrol and Seeker camper, we think we have the perfect set up to suit this type of travelling for now (and there is no towing of anything). Of course there are always different horses for different courses, but this is what suits us. One day, when we can perhaps retire and can spend more time away then our needs may change. Our previous vehcile was a 1988 DX Patrol flat tray (petrol & gas) plus an extremely heavy, old Freeway pop top camper. Our old Patrol never let us down (and we swore we would never have anything else) and even with the old camper, we found we just couldn't break it. Having a deisel is just heaven though.
FollowupID: 307959

Reply By: Member - Ross - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:49

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:49
Tim

I've not had any recent experience with Bridgestones but heard somewhere recently that the current tyres aren't a patch on the original Desert Duellers.

As I said, no experience and it may be a crock but you wouldn't expect that type of wear with correct inflation.Fidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 45946

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:57

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:57
Seems to be a trend, same with BFGs...
FollowupID: 307911

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:57

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:57
38 isn't unreasonable ??????

34 to 36 "may" be a better starting point , but that can vary depending on tyres, loads etc etc.
AnswerID: 45947

Reply By: jackablue - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:57

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:57
My cousin has found the same with his gu patrol. Worn out in the middle. Is very dissapointed with the durability of them.

cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 45963

Reply By: colin - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:33

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:33
check out the tyre plackard on your vehicle, my opion is your running way to much pressure, and the way your tyres are wearing also say that, i run desert duellers and have done close to 100,000ks and still going and run them at 32 psi even when loaded and camper on back, never had a puncture or any side wall cuts and vehicle handles and rides beautifully. Col
AnswerID: 45968

Follow Up By: tim - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:49

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:49
I just had a look at the plackard it said 36 back and 29 front
I have had services done at nissan but they must not check these out.
I have not put air in them since i have had the car so i assume they send them out with 38-40psi in them, then you have to decide what pressure you want in them.
I assume the front pressure is without bullbar,winch,driving lights,dual battery snorkel added like i have.
FollowupID: 307927

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:38

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:38
My GU came with Dueler AT's. I generally ran them with 30 in front and 34 in rear - around town with a fair load on board. I had no trouble with uneven tyre wear, but after 40000km they were stuffed. Replaced them with BFG AT's.
AnswerID: 45987

Reply By: GOB member vic - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:23

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:23
goodday tim i have the same problem gone after 15000ks went back to dealer was told i was running overinflated i have changed dealers new bloke seems a bit better (wont replace tyes thou ) he took patrol around to tyre dealer his story "mums taxi tyres not meant for carrying weight or towing with any weight" bleep we went to darwin and back with our van on the back so next time will specify no bridgestone rubbish will go back to tried and true hankook ats 80000 out of last set

steve
ps i am doing a 5 hweel rotation to try and make them last a bit longerimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 46011

Reply By: Member - Gordon- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:58

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:58
Hi ,
Have the same trouble (for some time now) GQ 93 running Dunlop Grandtrex and they are wearing in the middle,I am running 6 now to try to get more out of them.I run 29 all round now,loaded, unloaded,gravel,bituman all the same. I think the trouble started when loaded and towing a van,36 in the rear. I mentioned it to the tyre bloke,too much air,Ha ,Ha, Ha. Another feller told me it could be because of the way the tyre is manufactured, 3 steel bands and at speed the centre one bulges out. Could be total rubbish but thats what i was told.33k and very unhappy with them.
AnswerID: 46020

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:04

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:04
Iv'e got Duellers 70000 k's wear is fine, run at 40psi as this is what my tyre guy said, truck is heavy as you will see if you click on photo. Off road i run 24 or lower depending on conditions never a flat ( nock on wood ) but i too might try Hankook next time as we use them on the trucks & they wear great also cheaper than Bridgstone I thinkRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46022

Reply By: colin - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:26
there are 2 makes of bridgestone one made in japan which is standard tyre on new vehicle and are total rubbish, and the other is made in australia, far superior tyre. Have done a lot of trips out west and found most vehicles fitted with jap made tyres have heaps of problems they just cant hack the out back. I run aussy b/s and coopers and have had no problems at all, 92 GQ diesal patrol with camper trailer. Col
AnswerID: 46024

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:55

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:55
Hi
When you say flat spot in the middle, do u mean all round the tyre or just in places? If the later, you have tread seraration, and it is warrantable. If all way round, you have either carried too much weight on them for the pressure, or there was too much in them to begin with.
Try the 4 psi test. Check them cold, then after a drive...if less than 4 psi change, too much pressure was in them to begin with....if more, then not enough was in there to begin with (for the load you are carrying)
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 46025

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:40

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:40
I had the same prob....stuffed at 30,000k's

It was explained to me like this........The standard tyres are 'passenger' rated. Not 'Light truck' or LT's as the're known. The standard Bridgestones have a fairly week belt across the face and at high speed (normal highway speeds) these tyres throw out in the centers. there's little you can do about it. Stronger tyres like LT's have a stronger belt across the face and keep the tyre flat on the road surface resulting in more even wear.

If you do more highway stuff than city, this is probably your answer.

On the down side, the stronger tyres have stiffer side walls (more plys) and give a harsher ride on the road. Good for off road though with stronger side wall protection.

I replaced my Bridgestones with Cooper AT's in a LT construction and looking at them today, I will get about 3 times more out of them.

You may get different stories from other GU owners in the petrol or 4.2 Diesel variant because those patrols come standard with different tyres than the 3.0TDi. Same brand, but different size and build.

cheers Fraser Island
AnswerID: 46077

Reply By: big john - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:55

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 22:55
Likewise with me and my gu fitted with bridgestones
the original tyres were stuffed at 26,000 klms

i put kellys on and seem much better.

i have expereinced the same with work cars over time the original tyres last no time at all, i reckon they are made for optimum ride and noise but must be very soft.

and yet you will put another set on same brand look exactly the same and they seem to last twice as long . in the bridestones the replacements are the ausie made tyre and they are supposed to be heaps better

regards

sherriff
AnswerID: 46079

Sponsored Links