ARB Winch Bar hassle

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:24
ThreadID: 10382 Views:2726 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
As part of my response to POST # 10,376, I mentioned about having used the neat "W" cut-out in the front of my ARB winch bar, to now locate a 240volt power inlet (like you see on the side of caravans).
You may ask "why did he move the winch control box out of the nifty little hole that was specially designed for it?"

Well, I'm glad you asked.

I confess to buying 4WD Monthly and 4X4 Australia Mag's and one of them had an article in it some time back about maintainence of your winch's solenoid pack (ie: the black control box). It recommended the box should be opened up and cleaned with WD-40 or similar every 3 months. Yeh, Right!! Fat chance. To get to the solenoid pack when it's mounted in the "W" cutout, you have to take the steel bash plate off (5 bolts, 2 of which are a pain in the ring to get at) and then remove the whole damn winch.
Not this little black duck!!! (Sorry Jemima)...
I contacted ARB and asked them why they have now stopped making the bullbar with the "W" cut-out in the front. They couldn't give me a direct answer, but when I asked them where their current b/bars locate the solenoid box, they said it is in the right side main "wing"; with the control plug located out of the top through a hole. They offerred to sell me a bracket if I wanted to re-mount my solenoid pack in the same position, but I elected to simply move it to the top of the main bar structure, just above the winch. It's now easy to get at the 3 small bolts which hold the cover on and I can do it in about 5 minutes; instead of 2 hours.
I still don't do it every 3 months like they reckon.....
Cheers,
Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:29

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:29
Roachie,
I've got a Superwinch X9, the solenoid box on mine is mounted on a bracket in front of the grille between the two spotties I haven't fitted yet, sounds similar to like yours is now, and yes it's also mounted on an ARB bullbar. Yes it only take five minutes to WD 40 all the connections and it's very easy to have a look. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 45983

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:36

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:36
Martyn,
Just goes to show how I can be sucked in.......I bought the truck new in 2000 and booked it straight in to ARB for several mods, and remember thinking how bloody smart those ARB chappies are for making a groovy little cut-out for the winch control box. Never even entered my grey matter to consider the access issue.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 307934

Sponsored Links