91 Pajero, GLS 2.5 TD

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 12:43
ThreadID: 10383 Views:2053 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,
Would you or wouldn't you buy one, drives well, seems gutless in 1st but goes alright in every other gear, no rust round the sunroof, interior good, asking $14'000

it's got alloy's, bull bar and griving lights, done a bit over 200'000 kms.

the redbook site says price is top end bracket for this model,

only thing I can fault on it is the fuel gage reads 1/2 a tank and the fuel light is on...

this hard to fix?

CYA
Mik

PS if this is a good rate I'll be taking to the bank.... :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:36

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:36
I have a '91 Triton which is much the same mech.
The Paj performs better than some other earlier 4wd's & does about 10kms/l on hwy & not a great deal less at lower speeds off road unless very arduous.
If its done 200,000 & you cannot verify both timing belt & balance shaft belt changes recently it would be VERY wise to do both & they are not cheap.
Look for oil leaks at same time.
It may not have had a proper 200,000 service. Price seems a bit high for kms.
Gear box is main weak spot in these. Try it under load in 5th at 50-70 kmh & if there is much noise trouble is looming & best fixed before it craks up.
Gear box bearing & seal kit fitted together with a new clutch kit cost me around $900.. Brand new gear boxes (not reco) can be bought for $1500, cheaper than repairing them if they are really shot.
Mine has over 215,000 & is fine with orig w/pump & inj.pump.
Running gear has been trouble free apart from shocks & a couple of ball joints.
Orig unis & rear axle & dif look up to the job & given no trouble.
IFS prevents you from removing sump in situ as it does with most others.
Old tech used to permit this & hence we pay more along the way as well as up front.
Maybe this is why used vehicles with a few kms up dont fetch a lot.
AnswerID: 45985

Follow Up By: Crazy-Mik - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:38

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:38
Ian
Thanks very much for all of that info, I'll use it all to my advantage.
I think I'll tank it for a second drive, took off ok in 3rd ok didnt like it much but did it all the same.
FollowupID: 308046

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:39

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:39
Crazy-Mik,
This is getting near injector pump and injector service time, personally I'm not a Paj fan, depends what you are looking for the articulation is not the best due to the suspension design. Seems a tad on the highside for a 91 fourby unless it is immaculate, plus this has got a bit of mileage not greater than average, mind you and it is a diesel. You need to have a drive, check the tyres etc there's another grand, rego, service history if any, anything to convince yourself that it's the one for you. Look around you never know, I don't know how long you've been looking.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 45988

Follow Up By: Crazy-Mik - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:36

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:36
Only 12 months of looking, I reakon the asking price is a little high, so theres room for haggling, but the tyres are new and it's registered. so theres 2 pluses...
FollowupID: 308045

Sponsored Links