Suspension travel, where's it gone?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 14:56
ThreadID: 10387 Views:2133 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy guys,

I took the fj55 to the suspension guys where i live the other day for a check up, expecting the worst and expecting them to tell me i need a full rebuild, i was quite supprised to hear them say that the suspension was all good!

He said it was at full lifted height without getting to serious and spending heaps, he also said that the rear leafs were after market heavy duty!

So this is the question, if all that is good how come it has no travel, if i go over a raised section of ground with one tyre the whole car leans in that direction, same if one tyre goes in a rut. Same story the whole car goes with it rather then the tyre droping or raising( in other words the body is paralle to the axels ).

Does anyone have any tips to make it walk a little?

Cheers for any help!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:14

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:14
"...he also said that the rear leafs were after market heavy duty!...."

Therein lies your problem. Heavy duty = higher spring rate, takes more weight to bend the leaves OR with the same weight will bend less. Have the suspension guys look at taking a leaf out to soften the ride and maybe get some Polyair inserts to take the load when needed.
AnswerID: 45998

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:45

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:45
I don't know a great deal about leaf sprung trucks, but have seen ads for parabolic shackles to suit. These are designed to replace the shackle at the front of your leaf sring set-up with a hinged version. Another one actually has a sort of ball joint (I think it's called a hiems joint or something like that) that allows the shackle to twist as well as allowing the spring to droop etc.
There are a number of other options available too. Check out the ads in 4WD Monthly Magazine.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46017

Follow Up By: Synergist - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:36

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:36
Cheers mate,

I've also heard of these, i'll have a look into it!
FollowupID: 307958

Reply By: desray - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:13

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:13
You need soft flexible springs for wheel travel. Heavy duty for carrying weight but wont give unless you carry 3 ton in the back
AnswerID: 46029

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:26

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:26
Easiest way to get it to walk is to load it up with heavy accessories. The weight will overcome the springs and away you go.
Next best is polairs or air shox and less leaves all round (comfort springs)
Best 55 ive seen with crossed diffs had coils all round. Leafs dont allow thesame freedom of travel.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 46032

Reply By: David O - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:18

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 20:18
Yep go the coils.
Leaf springs for weight, coils for articulation
AnswerID: 46046

Sponsored Links