Paraglider injured on the CSR

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 03:56
ThreadID: 103878 Views:2215 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I subscribe to Friday at Five put put by Westprint, in yesterday's edition there was a report from a group who recetly travelled the CSR; in part of the report they said;

'One party had a mishap when a young bloke flying a paraglider over Lake Disappointment, crashed. He was transported over very rough tracks to an Aboriginal community for help with a broken leg and crushed vertebrae. We were pleased to hear from his great uncle later on that he was in rehab and doing okay.'

Does anyone have any more info on this incident, I would be keen for more details?

thanks in advance.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 03:57

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 03:57
Sorry people I pressed submit before spell check.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 516556

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 07:36

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 07:36
It was a lovely article, the lady who wrote it was so pleased with their trip, there was not one winge, just all praise for what they had seen. We want to do the Canning one day and it would be nice if it was green and the bushes and trees were flowering then, but we have to get away from here first! Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 516557

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 09:14

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 09:14
I can add some information on this.

We were camped on the edge of Lake Disappointment when the para glider took off and buzzed over the dry lake in front of our camp. He even gave us a wave. He then turned to try and go back up wind but was not making much headway. Another loop and the wind caught the parachute half collapsing it and we watched as he spiraled down and crashed heavily just behind a dune from us. We could hear him and friends talking on the UHF.

Clearly the support crew were watching for the next moment 3 landrovers came rushing down the Canning Stock Route past our camp to rescue him. Last we heard on the radio they had picked him up and given him some (maybe lots) of pain killers and he was 'resting comfortably' in the back while they made the torturous journey north to probably Cotton Creek. A few more radio communications we heard were about using a SAT phone to call ahead for medical treatment.

Not much more to tell other than look at the photos.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 516565

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 09:28

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 09:28
Hi Serendipity

Thanks for the extra info and the pics.

He would have had to cart a fair bit of gear to do the para gliding.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795915

Reply By: Gaynor - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:08

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:08
I am a paraglider pilot. Technically he was flying a Powered Paraglider. This is with a motor and 'fan' on his back which allows him to take off from a flat area as apposed to running off a mountain and flying without the help of a motor, using only thermals (hot air) to rise.

About 5 kms north of Well 26 I heard about this accident from a couple who had assisted in communications. They had the SAT phone and drove with them to keep emergency communication open. According to the couple, two brothers were flying individual powered paragliders on this trip with their father as part of the support crew. They suspected at the time that he had broken the top of his thigh bone and suspected hip breaks as well due to pain. Details unconfirmed. A crushed vertebra as in the above report is typical damage for paragliding accidents. I damaged two in my own paragliding accident a year and a half ago.

Something to note. The couple mentioned that there was another large convoy in the area that was transmitting on the UHF continuously during this emergency and evacuation. Conversation that was unnecessary and mundane as often occurs between travelling vehicles. The convoy of emergency vehicles had difficulty getting a word in the radio traffic was so heavy and oblivious to the need for keeping the channel open. I was not there. Had I been on the radio I am sure I would have been able to communicate the importance of keeping the channel open or initiated a change in frequency. Just reporting what I heard.

AnswerID: 516571

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:24

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:24
According to the couple with the SAT nav he was taken to Parngurr (Cotton Creek) but from what I remember, due to night fall approaching, a flight could not be made to evacuate him and so they continued to Jigalong where he was stabilised until evacuation the next day. I am not sure of the validity of this information. Might be a good idea to contact the local communities.
FollowupID: 795924

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 19:54

Saturday, Aug 17, 2013 at 19:54
I do know there was a large group following us that the evacuation team would have came across, and unfortunately the southbound convoy would not have been aware of the emergency situation.

Also there was another convoy heading north just behind the landrover team - but we sort of thought they were part of the team.

I know we were at breakfast when he crashed and before we could mobilise our cars their support team had rushed past. We listened to all the reports and before we left the landrover team had retrieved the pilot and heading north. We lost contact with them 15 mins later.

Hi Gaynor - from the Barrel Club

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 795955

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 20:10

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 20:10
Hi Serendipity

Don't recognise the convoy name or ExplorOz tag and cannot access your profile or Blog as a non-member.

I am guessing we met north of LD. Do you have a group photo of your convoy people and perhaps a remember the meeting place we met? Would love to place faces to meetings on the Canning.

g
FollowupID: 796028

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 22:09

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 22:09
Hi Gaynor

We did meet you as we travelled the CSR and were very impressed with your drive and determination plus the great sense of adventure you take with you.

As chance you camped near us at around well 31 and walked over to our camp to say hello. The next morning you stopped in for a coffee before heading off. Later when we caught up to you one of our party had a flat tyre so the convoy stopped again and you briefly got ahead again.

I have only a poor quality photo taken in the half light of the morning.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 796049

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:03

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:03
COFFEE, TAKE 3!!!!!!!!!! :-)

I remember it well. Thank you. Great to put tag to meeting.

Most nights on the Canning were spent alone. Only on a handful of occasions did I get to camp with travellers. Sometimes we were only a kilometre apart and I did not know it until walking by the next morning. Was so glad to hear your car doors close in the night and came running over, thirsty for human contact.

Thank you. For conversation, and for the coffee in the morning.

g
FollowupID: 796067

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:02

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:02
Hi Gaynor, I hope things are settling down somewhat for you.

Thanks for the info on the crash and on the Powered Paraglider, by the way would you happen to know what this unit may have weighed?

I'm hoping to find out the name of the injured chap. I guess I need to do a bit more detective work unless someone else can give me a lead. Its no good ringing say the Newman Hosp. because of the Privacy Act.

regards

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 796073

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:55

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:55
Will see what I can find out from my paragliding buddies on Facebook
FollowupID: 796240

Sponsored Links