towing a camper trailer across the simpson

Submitted: Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 15:10
ThreadID: 10391 Views:2118 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had first hand experience in towing a camper trailer across the Simpson ?
If yes in which direction and along which route did you take ?
What was your fuel comsumption and kms travelled ?
Also what was your towing vehicle ?
Would you do it again ?

Regards
Paul
CROOZAAdventure Camping and Off Road Trailers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:11

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 16:11
do a forum search, subject has been covered heapsRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46009

Reply By: Tom78 - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:25

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:25
Paul
We towed a motorbike trailer as we had three guys on bikes with us so we had to to put them on if they broke down. This was just a standard bike trailer with wide tyres and a treg coupling. Didn't really have any trouble across the actuall desert went west to east along the french line. The trailer however didn't think much of the corregations on the way up there though (once the mudgard fell off it was OK!). I would brobably do it again but put shockers on the trailer and reinforce it. The only thing is the trailer was light I dont know how you would go with more weight. I dont think that I used any more fuel than I did the last time if I did it was minimal.
Hope this is of assistance
Tom
AnswerID: 46023

Follow Up By: Tom78 - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 17:26
by the way my 4x4 is a 80 petrol
FollowupID: 307957

Reply By: Patsy - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:09

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:09
We travelled West to East via the French Line in October 2002. Our neighbours were doing it with us in their Suzuki Vitara 4cyl V6 & towing a light weight camp trailer. The Vitara got bogged in the soft sand on the very first dune on the French Line and there were 4-5 other dunes where we had to pull it over the top of a dune. Whilst we could just idle up the dunes with our 4.2TD Patrol with light weight slide on camper, the Vitara had to take a roaring run up to get over the bigger dunes with the trailer pulling it back. It honestly sounded like a jet plane and I am sure the taco was in the red a few times. All in all, it used 114 litres of unleaded fuel to get from Mt. Dare to Birdsville. Our Patrol did it using 94 litres of deisel and this was going backwards a bit to hook up to the Vitrara. The Birdsvillians do not like anyone taking a trailer in the Simpson and will tell you it is banned but I do not think they can legally stop you, yet.
AnswerID: 46028

Follow Up By: Patsy - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:15

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 18:15
Forgot to tell you that there were no problems with either vehicle and only problem with the trailer was that a spring broke on the bad corrugations just east of Mt Dare. This was fixed by welding it back together using two/three batteries, jumper leads and a welding electode.
FollowupID: 307964

Follow Up By: Moneypit - Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 21:56

Monday, Feb 09, 2004 at 21:56
I needed a laugh Patsy. Thank you - All us supposedly underpowered Nissan 3.0 TD could do with our 4 cylinders being V6's. As it is the Vitara is a mighty fine V4 [if its a V at all].

But you knew that and just wanted to see that we were taking notice of what you were saying - wink wink

"Our neighbours were doing it with us in their Suzuki Vitara 4cyl V6 & towing a light weight camp trailer. "

Dave

{I hope I'm right or I'm a dill}
FollowupID: 308002

Follow Up By: Patsy - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:20

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:20
No Dave, I am the dill. My fingers get carried away ahead of my brain sometimes. What I meant to say was the Vitara is a 2L V6 and don't get me wrong, the Vitara proved that it was a gutsy and capable little 4WD. Getting bogged on the first dune was just sheer bad luck and learning what gear to be in etc. As to the other dunes that we pulled it over the top, I am sure that if it had another go then it would have done it but we were all worried about the fuel consumption at the time (they only just carried enough to make it to Birdsville as it was) and none of us wanted to chop the dunes up.
Does this make more sense. I am glad you got a laugh anyway.

Patsy

FollowupID: 308568

Sponsored Links