Camping/travel with kids

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 14:54
ThreadID: 103911 Views:1975 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I was reading an archived post and thought Id ask for opinion. We have an oztent with side panels and also a tagalong. When we go away we take all it with us, a self inflating QS mattress and a bunk bed for the kids. Were looking at getting swags instead for all of us.
Is a double swag attequte for 2 adults, both slightly larger then small. And when we go away do you think it would work just putting the kids into swags in the tent and us outside? I want to minimise on load and as I can get the oztent up on my own to the roof with effort, If I don't have hubby I want to make it easier. Do you feel the kids may be unprotected out in the open?? I have the paranoid fear of other people at night :(
hope you can offer personal experience or the likes
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 15:02

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 15:02
We don't know all of your situation alarna , but if you could arrange it sleeping inside the car , even just the Kids is a wonderful idea - its quieter safter cosier and usually less trouble - you may have to make a bit of a platform or some special bits.

One other thing that works is cheap little UHF handhelds for kids , they can talk to you from bed , or when travelling with others , to a nearby car with other kids, keeps them in their loop.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 516628

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 17:55

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 17:55
I have always just had dome tents. One for me, kids in others.
AnswerID: 516643

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 22:04

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 22:04
Hi Alarana

If you were outside their tent, they are protected. Where are you going that you feel their may be a threat to their safety? Sorting this out alone may be enough.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 516660

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 22:05

Sunday, Aug 18, 2013 at 22:05
Apologies for the typo on Alarna
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 796048

Reply By: sweetnam - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 08:13

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 08:13
The Oztent is a great product, until you start using all the add on's, then they eat up the time in your set up / pack up

The double swag is more like a king single, even with me and my 9yr old it is cramp

We took bunks all the way through Cape a few years ago, by the time we got back i gave them away never wanting to see them again

We now have an Oztrail tourer 9 plus for the four of us touring, and 4 x self inflating mats from Blackwolf. We just used that for our most recent trip and worked the best for us.

The tent can go up with 4 pegs, 1 middle pole and a u shaped pole at the back

Good luck
AnswerID: 516665

Reply By: alarna - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 09:49

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 09:49
OK thanks people. The kids would still be in the tent, and I want to get up the nerve to try outside the tent. I'm not worried about me and other people but because of my past and emotional trauma its very hard to get over something that's been ingrained in you. There most likely wont be other people anywhere LOL.
I do like my oztent and even though we looked at black wolf I feel like I am cheating on my tent HAHAHA. I really do not like the bunks as good as they are they are a bugger to cart around if we don't have to.
I also want to look at over night trips when hubby can't/doesn't want to come so it will be just me and the kidws so I though swags are a lot easier to manage, if its good weather I wont need the tent just a tarp on the ground. (once I get over my hurdle)
We were looking at a swag tent also...they are bigger then a double swag and very open if required.
AnswerID: 516671

Follow Up By: slave - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:11

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:11
Hi Alarna
Are you able to borrow a swag, even a single to try at home ?
I was very hesitant to sleep in one but tried a friends at home to get used to it.
We did a number of trips with us in the double swag outside while the 2 kids were in the tent, the progressed to us in the tent and one kid under the awning if the weather was wet.
Now with just 2 of us we will take the tent and swag and if its wet we can throw the swag in the tent if it looks like rain and this gives us somewhere to sit.
Swags do vary in size, our old one is 130 wide but the new one is 150 wide. Our size, well lets say neither of us are petite.
FollowupID: 796078

Sponsored Links