Meeting the Neighbours

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:09
ThreadID: 103923 Views:2930 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
There are some 4wding lessons here but thank goodness for camera's as sometimes I have trouble believing this stuff.

Late last year a late model 200 series with the lot, and a driver as the only occupant got hopelessly bogged on the Canning.

"Fred" pressed the "EPIRB" button, put a few things in a bag and sat on the bonnet till the chopper came.

(Exploroz members may help here as I have not verified this part of story - but you'd think there would be some references elsewhere to this - maybe even on this site ?)

Fred never looked back, and doesn't know or care what happened to the car, he got a complete payout, went to the local Toyota shop and got a new one.

Roll on time until a couple of months ago and he buys a bush block to play on near a little Victorian place called Yarck.

Many on this site would know we have a large bush block with 4wd tracks near a little Victorian place called Yarck.

On Saturday some special parts for Super Patrols re-birth didn't arrive so the kids & friends decided on an impromptu camping trip to nearby Toolangi, they arrived late afternoon in drizzle & high winds, bad idea !

About the same time Fred arrived at his new block where he had a tent and anxious to get to an unseen part of his new block.
The previous week his friend had pushed a rough track across its creek with a dozer and filled it with a bunch of loose logs.

Fearless Fred drove down the slippery approach track, he had all the right bits and thought he could make it across the creek however the traction control splurted the unsecured logs all over the place as 3 wheels sank into the Oozing mud and the 4th was left 18" in the air as the bullbar crunched a log and lifted up onto it throughly beaching the Cruiser.

Meanwhile a friend had dropped round to see me with an issue - his bosses 18 month old 200 series and stuffed its engine, apparently due to oil in the turbo which caused some serious foulups .
The engine was coming out anyway and they had been advised to replace everything including the power steering pump ? - it had done > 100k as a work vehicle.

The weather got wilder and the kids abandoned the camping, with some heading for our holiday house/ Bush block in a 3lt Patrol figuring at least the bog holes would benefit from the rain.

Unfortunately the retreat to the block cost a dent near the tail light from a badly leaning tree, they were miserable then discovered their sub-group had no food.

Back to Fred - things aren't going well, its getting dark so he walks away from his 2nd new 200 series in a year and sleeps in his small tent about a km away, but rings the parents first, and yes, they would bring up there Range Rover to rescue him the next day.

The Kids wake up late and with no supplies head down to the Yarck Pub for a late breakfast.

Freds rescuers arrive about mid morning - take one look at the situation and conclude its way out of their league, so they adjourn to the Yarck Pub for a late breakfast and to come up with a plan.
As they enter the pub they notice a the Patrol with 37" boggers on it and Fred calls out across the Bistro asking for the owner.
The Kids pipe up and Fred asks if they want to earn a cashie and rescue him (after breakfast that is).

Fred describes the directions to his car and damm if the Kids didn't note that they were the directions to my front gate and demanded to know what he was
doing on our land.
The Kids were already on the lookout for some Ferals in the area and although Freds group didn't quite fit the picture, played along and expected to find an old HJ60 or similar.

The Kids, in the well equipped and recently defused Grenade soon realized that the bogging was on a new track next door running from our fence line.

After a careful controlled descent the got to Freds vehicle only to realize that it wasn't a old wreck but a beautiful new black $130,000 worth of 200 series complete with lots of good bits and even a lovely set of remote reservoir Kings racing shocks which they could never afford.

So the story was genuine and the rescue began - it wasn't easy , Fred thru a snatch strap over the towball and told the Kids to yank where apon they took charge re-attaching the strap to a more appropriate location giving Fred a short sharp lesson in 4wding.

A hour later the Cruiser was off the logs and turned around for an exit up the long slippy hill.

Fred charged up the slope with incredible power and tore it to pieces.

It took another hour and some winching for the 3lt Patrol to negotiate the wrecked track where apon the Kids asked him what he had under the bonnet.

Its turns out he was pushing 260kw off the wheels, not that much less than Super Patrol and in another coincidence his car had been done on 4by fabrications Carrum dyno, the same dyno and in the same week that Super Patrol had been commissioned.

Cutting this short, later that day Fred honoured his undertaking and took everybody out for a meal at the Yarck pub and promised the Kids a new bog hole for Xmas.

So we have a new neighbour - and I suspect some fun with a new Cruiser ahead.

Below is a phone snap shot only, but we have some good and embarrassing video.

P.S. For the Green tinged the above occurred on private land.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Road Warrior - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:31

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:31
I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at this story.
AnswerID: 516673

Reply By: NTVRX - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:17

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:17
Hi Robin, They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit so here goes....if Fred's mummy & daddy's Rangie was the latest model vogue and had got stuck too, there could have been about $300,000 + bogged in the bush.....now that would have been a photo. Signed poor old Bob and his $45,000 Pajero!!!
AnswerID: 516676

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:39

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:39
I suspect I will have a shot at that photo in the not to distant future Bob.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796126

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:31

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:31
hi robin
I find the bit about fred getting hoplessly bogged on the CSR and getting air lifted out via epirb rescue --- that part is believable

but getting a complete pay-out on a hopelessly bogged vehicle basis
that bit is hard to swallow
we'd all like to know the name of that insurance company ????wink wink

why would an insurance company pay up on that basis
unless there was an element of severe mechanical breakdown failure

involving and requiring it to be recovered by toyota at their expense ( that would/could be believable ) because of its remoteness ??

no one has mentioned the so called bogged vehicle been left or found on the CSR and there is /are hundreds of people travelling that route taking photos and putting stuff on blogs/ facebook /twitter/you-tube
something would have surfaced by now you would think???

i'm not having a go at you robin

just trying to get my head around the story
this bloke fred seems to have a lot of money and a huge ego
but not much common 4wd ability

I dare say it could prove to be entertaining for a while
but could prove to be a pain in the rear end long term
unless his ability improves -eg-
how many times do you want to recover his 200 and how many so called free feeds can you tolerate lol
cheers barry
AnswerID: 516677

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:56

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:56
Perfectly valid points Barry and why I would like to find out if anyone knows anything about the CSR part.

I have to be a little circumspect as I now share 500m of fenceline with Fred and this part of story is second hand.

I have only done the CSR once and we struggled to not see another car in 24 hours.

From other info I have been told he was personally air-lifted out just with his little bag of bits.

Perhaps it may not have been quite exactly on the CSR ?

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796077

Follow Up By: Peter K20 - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:03

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:03
Hi
The CSR story is true - cant confirm names but I was on when we coordinated the rescue of a guy in a cruiser near Lake

Disappointment. It was around the 14 Feb 2012. The guy was taken out and the car was left behind. I understood people saw the wreck last year

Robin - I actually gave Howard the position and the estimated drop points for the gear that was dropped to him but not recovered (there was at least one sat phone in the stores drop). The drops were done at night but he didn't see them. He didn't locate them.

Pete
FollowupID: 796176

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 16:21

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 16:21
Thanks for coming back on that Pete , I had a feeling that the base story was true.

I suspect I will get a chance to hear the details from the extracted over time.

I am particularly interested in just what motivates some to press the Epirb Button and suspect its often not the obvious or stated reasons.

Maybe its not the smartest thing to do but I have spent hours in self recovery sometimes rather than admit defeat.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796249

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 16:55

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 16:55
Robin,
dont know if your neighbour is the same bloke or not but the coords Pete gave me were right on savory creek, so lake dissapointment area.
I can understand getting bogged there at that time of year.Bit early in the season.

As we were only going south on CSR to Geogia bore on way to Rudall NP I didnt go looking for the dropped bits as it was an extra 95 km each way and several months had passed .
I still think someone would have had a lucky find.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796254

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 18:51

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 18:51
Thanks Howard - its looking locked in now that thats the new neighbour , I have since had the Lake Dissapointment location independantly confirmed - wouldn't mind getting the co-ords though one day .
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796264

Reply By: Road Warrior - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:06

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:06
Does the Department of Environment in your state not have restrictions on what you're allowed to do to watercourses/wetlands even if they run through your property??
AnswerID: 516679

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:25

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:25
Depends Road Warrior - I know they are stricter on stuff that could end up in a catchment.
I can only build dams up to 1 mega liter - but I get scared when the water goes over the bonnet anyway.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796079

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 14:16

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 14:16
is that your 4wds or your wife's bonnet lol ??
FollowupID: 796086

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 18:34

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 18:34
G'day Robin,
I always enjoy reading your stories, they are always entertaining.
I think that your new neighbour has more money than sense and I'm not sure that he needs a lot of money to do that.
Regards
Des
AnswerID: 516709

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 20:33

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 20:33
Hi Des

Certainly has the stuff to get all the good bits - I'll reserve judgement on the rest for a little while though.

Its just about to snow here - hope its less freezing where you are.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796137

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 22:11

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 22:11
Not likely to get snow here Robin but has been a good day to spend in the office. That wind has icicles attached to it.
FollowupID: 796155

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:08

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:08
Thanks Robin, very entertaining and no doubt a little satisfying that the offspring have been well prepared for such disasters and were able to assist!

Kind regards
AnswerID: 516719

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 19:55

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 19:55
Interesting comment Beatit - A couple of kids and mates just showed up here after work later than expected.

They saw an old lady drive out of a nearby retirement village with one front tyre dead flat.

They stopped there big nasty 4wd in front of her and waved her down - then summing up the situation proceeded to change her wheel for her , not even names where exchanged.

I have to ask myself "Would I have done that" ?

This left just under 30 mins to replace the diff in Super Patrol and now there off !

Geez maybe there is hope for the next generation !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796284

Sponsored Links