House Sitting ???

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:11
ThreadID: 103926 Views:1534 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling Australia & the question of whether or not to housesit has been raised - has anyone used a website called Aussie Housesitters & if so, any feedback to share?

Thanks,
T &D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Legendts - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:14

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:14
I too will be interested in any responses on this topic.
AnswerID: 516675

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 15:10

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 15:10
Giday
I use Happy House Sitters & House Carers to look for house sitting jobs.
Happy House Sitters seem to have more homes to offer but are expensive as you have to pay for different areas, the more popular the area the higher the joining cost. Though they do have a special on at the moment that will help.
Our last 2 sitting jobs have been through House Carers.
I can recommend the lifestyle acouple of things to be aware of:
1. I dont pay electricity but have paid for heating gas over this past winter. Which was a lot more expensive than I allowed for. But I'm from NQ and we were in southern NSW near the Murray.
2. Dont hang by your toe nails waiting for home owners to reply to you when you express interest in their home/pet sitting. Probably 80% will NOT respond to you. So don't stop applying just because you havve sent off an expression of interest.
3. Work out your itinerary (where you want to go & when) and then apply for positions around those times and places. Or those positions in areas that sound interesting.
4. We dont use the homeowners phone or internet modem we supply our own.
It is a good way of stretching your budget and you meet some great people. The owners mostly introduce you to their neighbors and their clubs EG: book club, mens shed, golf or bowls club.
Just do it
PeterM
FollowupID: 796091

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 18:26

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 18:26
We have been finding house sitters on Aussie House sitters and Housecarers.com for a couple of years now.
Aussie House sitters have changed their website this year - which each of them needed to do. Its much nicer to use now.

My advice, don't be too hasty replying to a housesit, get a bit of an idea of the location of the housesit and how you'll manage to get there. We always live in remote locations and people simply reply to our ad before realizing how difficult its going to be to get here.
Also - we always interview applicants on Skype video chat.

Good luck

PS: What are you doing later next month? fancy a drive?

AnswerID: 516706

Sponsored Links