Advice Pls. Grease in Front Diff Housing-80 series Landcruiser

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 13:12
ThreadID: 103929 Views:3539 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello folks.

Doing some prep for a forthcoming trip I felt motivated to change the diff oil. When draining the oil into a tray, all I got was grease and a slight amount of oil.

My immediate thoughts turned to the inner seal having 'given up', and yet there is no indication of any oil leaking anywhere. I am pretty picky with oil leaks and generally have them attended to immediately.

But firstly - some background. Last week I managed to strip the splines on the hub and CV (birfield) joint. I was able to get a replacement CV and axle from a local reputable wrecker. He told me the unit he was supplying me came from the later model 80 series, when they (Toyota) changed from 15" to 16" wheels. My vehicle, being a 1991 model, has 15" rims. The guy at the wrecker told me that the newer assembly was marginally longer but would be a stronger unit than the one I had just 'creamed'. I am wondering is this may be part of the problem.

My son (a mechanic) told me there was no indication of oil leaking anywhere when he pulled it apart to replace the broken parts.

I thank you in advance for your help, advice and wisdom. At this stage the trip is on hold pending an outcome on this problem.

Thanks.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 15:59

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 15:59
Jack
You should get 1.7 to 2 litres of diff grade oil out of the diff.
There shouldn't be any grease. And unless someone has and a happy day pumping grease into the swivel hubs I can't see how it could get in there.

Have you owned the vehicle for very long? someone else may have "added grease to it" or the oil has been thickened by some sort of trendy additive.

Best to have oil in there for the hypoid gears ( crownwheel and pinion) to survive.
AnswerID: 516695

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:49

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 19:49
I pump grease into the swivel hubs on every Cruiser I have owned for the last 40 or so years. No grease in the front diffs. I suspect a seal may have been damaged or displaced.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 796130

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 20:07

Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 20:07
Hi Ross.

I've had it for over 10 years, and had a bit of work done in Darwin when I busted a CV joint. I thought your 'added grease' comment has some weight. Shall strip it all down on the return run.
Thanks.
jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 796134

Sponsored Links