Broken Hill / Menindee lakes in November

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2013 at 20:32
ThreadID: 103946 Views:2859 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of heading up to Broken Hill and Mendinee lakes in November as we've never been there before and looking to some remote camping. We are 2WD, towing a trailer and camping in tents. The good lady has never done any free camping before and we are looking for information on the area, activities and facilities. We are not scared of roughing it and intend on getting a Jimmy Thunderbox and 12V shower. Actually looking forward to it as a family and we will also have our 11 YO son.
We will be fully self sufficient and wondering also about weather/temperature, bugs etc in early November (Melbourne Cup week).
Any thoughts or good camps sites, places of nterest will be much appreciated.

Cheers & beers
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 06:43

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 06:43
Hi Rob. There is so much to see and do out that way so I hope you have plenty of time. It will be getting hot too so you will need shaded areas to camp. I would go out to Silverton, about 20k from Broken Hill and use it as a base. Stay at Penrose Park. Make sure you go to the Mundi Mundi plains lookout at sunset. For Menindee there are plenty of free camp spots on the road out to the main dam or for a bit of luxury, stay at Copi Hollow. You will need at least a week out there to fit it all in as well. We will get back there one day and have a longer look. Cheers,Bob.Broken Hill
AnswerID: 516749

Follow Up By: phantom - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:31

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:31
Thanks Toyocrusa, Did a quick google search of both Silverton (Penrose Park) and Copi Hollow and will most likely spend 3 or 4 days at both places and a couple of days free camping. We will have 10 days in total so should have a good chance to see a few of the highlights.
Thanks for the reply and advice on places of interest.
Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 796180

Reply By: Pathycop - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:39

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:39
Hi Rob

We stopped off at Menindee during our trip to Cameron Corner in April.

We had our 3 kids and we free camped right on the edge of the lake. And I mean 1 meter off the edge! Kids lived it. Spent the whole of one day just in the water.

Loads of free camping and shady spots. Head for Lake Pamamaroo and towards the Burke and wills campsite. Their are toilets There We camped off the road on about a kilometre from that campsite as it was full of a 4WD club but the spot we found was much nicer and on grass. Copi Hollow is nice too, but so much free camping in the area we couldn't justify paying.

Great pub in town, massive steaks! Great little info office too. Kinchega NP on the other side of town has the Old Wool shed and they have hot showers for a small donation.

If you like rising then you will be in heaven here. Only problem with camping on the waters edge was the fish jumping ans splashing all night!!

I will post a pic when I get to a computer.

Enjoy

Graeme

Graeme
AnswerID: 516791

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:45

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:45
Hi

Turns out cant post pics!!

Sorry

checkout caravanersforum.com with the same question and I will post some pics for you there.

Graeme
FollowupID: 796237

Follow Up By: phantom - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:55

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 14:55
Thanks Graeme,
Great information. Have to love this forum with all the great people and information.
After many years of not wanting to go camping (with our 5 kids) the good lady now has the bug so it will be great to do some free camping at these places and enjoy another aspect to campng.

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 796239

Reply By: allein m - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 18:55

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 18:55
hi when you get into menindee follow the railway line through town past the railway station and you will come to a dead end and a bridge get out and walk around you will see the bridge actually is lifting sort of bridge

it does not work any more but it is part of the towns history and going back to a time of the paddle steamers

burke and willls camp site at the lakes is worth a picture or two

my first trip there was when the mail lake was dry as a bone my wife grew up here in Broken hill and often went camping and rabbiting out menindee she was shock to see a dry lake but now it is back to normal

just have to take care we have a huge population of emus out here and they have no road sense but the trip is well worth it

let me know if you need any other help being a local i can get other information if you need

AnswerID: 516800

Follow Up By: phantom - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 19:48

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 19:48
Thanks Allien m,
Looking for good camp sites and to see what the area has to offer. would like to get the feel of the place and visit places of interest / historic site as well as keep Master Will amused. Always in for a good counter meal or two, not to mention a cold beer.

Cheers
Rob
FollowupID: 796279

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:58

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:58
Burke and wills camp site is right on the edge of the lake lots of bird life and lots to photograph

when you get to Broken Hill a visit to Jack Absolum s art gallery he also has some amazing quartz samples

not far from there is the school of the air in lane street

you should be there on one of there sports days when all the kids from stations come into town for a big day of sport and fun parents cars mostly 4x4 get decked out in the kids colors

I used to chat to Jack Absolum when he was out walking but do not see him so much he is getting on a bit now

both are with in walking distance of where I live so I know they are a popualr places for tourists jacks gallery is free to enter not sure about the school of the air .
FollowupID: 796356

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 13:04

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 13:04
My wife was born here and she moved away till we bought a home here 10 years ago and it is a amazing place the pace of life is much slower and less stressful.
FollowupID: 796357

Sponsored Links