Ludwig Leichardt's bullock wagon.

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 21:54
ThreadID: 103967 Views:1836 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Leichardt's fate has not been determined as far as I know. He had 50 bullocks so must have had a sturdy wagon. I wonder if any history buffs out there can provide any details of the wagon. It is hard to imagine the wagon has not been found with the mustering and mining surveys in the area. It is more likely that some one found the wagon and "borrowed" it, so it is most likely at the back of one of the homesteads.
That is why it would be good to have some way of identifying it. Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 22:48

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 at 22:48
Eric, Leichardt didn't have a bullock wagon on his ill fated expedition. The belief that he did is actually incorrect. A full inventory of his expedition equipment is still available today.

Cheers Mick,
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 516819

Reply By: lizard - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 00:27

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 00:27
The articles and books I have read on Leichardt make no mention of this wagon , the only possible evidence of the lost party's equipment is the rifle found in the tree near Halls Creek - apparently with his name on the stock ...... researchers believe that Leichardt was experienced in the Australian outback , and travelled in the northern lattitudes to avoid the deserts , I think their latest thoughts are they perished south of Halls Creek / Lake McKay area ..... wouldn't it be excellent if something di turn up one day .
AnswerID: 516822

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 07:27

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 07:27
I've just travelled the length of the Sturt Creek from Halls Creek and spilled out into the Great Sandy Desert from there. We kept our minds on that isolated boab tree as conventional theory suggests LL may well have followed the Sturt and its regular water supply into the GSD where disaster struck. Hopefully one day some evidence will emerge to solve the mystery. The country south of the Sturt becomes unforgiving very quickly!

The Bullock dray has caused quite a few false leads over the years as bits and pieces of drays and tack were found as settlement pushed forward. LL had used drays on his earlier expedition and found them a hindrance so did not bother with one on his last expedition. Historians now have ready access to this information and a greater collection of LL information largely due to institutional networks (Museums) and of course, the internet.

For those interested, Darrell Lewis's new book "Where is Dr Leichardt" is a great read that debunks a lot of the myths around the man and expedition and impartially examines and evaluates the theories around his possible routes, the artefacts found since his disappearance and the many theories around the demise of his party.

As an aside, our EO member Equinox has viewed the LL plate. He posted on the topic some months back.

Ludwig....where are you?

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 796316

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 16:07

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 16:07
Hi Mick

Here here on Darrell Lewis's new book "Where is Dr Leichhardt" - it sure is an interesting read.

If you're a 'Leichhardite' do yourself a favour and get a copy folks.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 796371

Reply By: Eric Experience - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 21:44

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 21:44
Thanks to those who put me straight, The old book I am reading has misled me. Eric
AnswerID: 516870

Sponsored Links