Aviation Camps

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:07
ThreadID: 103971 Views:3060 Replies:18 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This might sound like a strange request but...
We are continuing our 6 month trip and will shortly head south from Cairns with no real commitments other than being in Adelaide by early December.
Dad and the kids love aircraft and I'd particularly like to find a coastal camping spot where fast jets regularly conduct low flying training...
Any help with this or any other genuine suggestions for places to visit and enjoy aviation (ie qantas museum) would be appreciated.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:31

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:31
There is a military aircraft aircraft museum in Mareeba, a small one in Townsville, one on the sunshine coast. The aviation heritage museum at RAAF Amberley is not open at all times. Temora is another one and Williamtown fighter world, the Navy has one at Nowra, the RAAF at Pt Cook and Oakey Army aviation museum. There are a number of other museums around, maybe Google them?

As for fast jet low flying unless there is a military exercise on they will probably not be too common. They sometimes operate out of Townsville. I think you best bet to see some is around Amberley or Williamtown (Newcastle).
AnswerID: 516828

Reply By: Tim - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:50

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:50
If you want fast jets, you need Williamtown, Amberley or Tindal. That is where they are based. Amberley also has the C17s and Airbus tankers. We have seen plenty of awsome flying over Stockton beach over the years but it is few and far between. Taking off with afterburners going straight over your head is an amazing thing to see.
Darwin can have a bit of a mixed bag with lot's of things coming and going but they are usually bigger aircraft and at the moment one could assume related to SIEVs out near Christmas Island...
Tim
AnswerID: 516829

Reply By: Member - neville G (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:55

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 06:55
Warbirds Down Under air show is on at Temora November 2nd. There are caravan sites on the airfield but may all be booked by now, do a Google, you may be lucky.
Cheers, Bundy
AnswerID: 516830

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 07:02

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 07:02
Hi Mum? No Jets flying unless a commuter one comes in but really worth a look. Also much more to see and do in OUR area. HARS
Windang Caravan Park is a great place to stay if you don't have animals. Shellharbour park good if you do but a bit dearer. WindangShellharbour
Garrantee it will be worth a visit. Cheers,Bob
AnswerID: 516831

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 08:17

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 08:17
Last Sunday we went up to Mareeba from Cairns for their airshow.

It was pretty good. No jets, but some good WW2 warbirds.

There seems to be these provincial airshows throughout QLD. I'm sure there's one scheduled for Hervey Bay.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 516834

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 09:00

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 09:00
Mate,
Amberley has an excellent historic museum that is open every 3rd sunday of the month. It is free and you catch a bus from the Amberley RAAF bowls club, they run every 20 minutes all day.

Planes on display are a sabre that still has the cut in the air intake from a powerline. F111s plus a cockpit at ground level. Boston and canberra bombers and a mirage. Helicopters as well. The display is a credit to the volunteers that put the whole thing together.

Also you can also go down to Queensland raceway if you are interested in race cars. You can just go down and watch them practice most days of the week. We sat and watches some of the Carrera cup porsches and V8 utes a few days ago.

Not free, but a good park close by is the Willowbank caravan village at $25 a night.

Also have a look at the wreck of Beautiful Betsy at Kroombit tops west of Gladstone. She was not discovered until 1995. Just google Beautiful Betsy

You can stay at the Calliope free 48 hour camp.

Townsville airport is also a RAAF base but it all depends what exercises are going on for jets to be there.
AnswerID: 516837

Reply By: Geoff H18 - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 15:19

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 15:19
Newcastle is not a bad spot.You can stay at Stockton which is about 10 k from Williamtown.There is also Fighter world there which I am told is a good look through
AnswerID: 516848

Reply By: Gramps - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 16:58

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 16:58
Here's a link to the Roulettes schedule for 2013
AnswerID: 516855

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 18:46

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 18:46
If you want a detour inland (a big one mind you) there is the Qantas musueem at Longreach.
AnswerID: 516861

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 21:51

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 21:51
You should have been in the Toowoomba area tonight. Although you couldn't see them the Super Hornets were roaring around complete with a couple of house shaking sonic booms.
AnswerID: 516872

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 21:55

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 21:55
I wish we had a viewing location like they have in Wales ,

Check this outCAD WEST

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 516874

Reply By: Mike SK - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:23

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:23
On your way to Newcastle, 2 hours North is Old Bar near Taree. It has a heritage listed airstrip someone famous used it can't remember who. Anyway the October long weekend there is the festival which sees all manner of aircraft flying around. The RAAF fly in a couple of old aircraft for people to go through. Actually last year there was the ultralight that flew into a ferris wheel that you may have seen on the news. It made it into the latest edition of Guinness world records. Completely forgotten why now, but I digress. It's a great weekend.
AnswerID: 516881

Reply By: Mike SK - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:34

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:34
On your way to Newcastle, 2 hours North is Old Bar near Taree. It has a heritage listed airstrip someone famous used it can't remember who. Anyway the October long weekend there is the festival which sees all manner of aircraft flying around. The RAAF fly in a couple of old aircraft for people to go through. Actually last year there was the ultralight that flew into a ferris wheel that you may have seen on the news. It made it into the latest edition of Guinness world records. Completely forgotten why now, but I digress. It's a great weekend.
AnswerID: 516882

Reply By: Mike SK - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:34

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 at 23:34
On your way to Newcastle, 2 hours North is Old Bar near Taree. It has a heritage listed airstrip someone famous used it can't remember who. Anyway the October long weekend there is the festival which sees all manner of aircraft flying around.

The RAAF fly in a couple of old aircraft for people to go through. Actually last year there was the ultralight that flew into a ferris wheel that you may have seen on the news. It made it into the latest edition of Guinness world records. Completely forgotten why now, but I digress. It's a great weekend.
AnswerID: 516883

Reply By: "Not So Grey Nomads" - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:46

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:46
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. We are quickly gathering a list of great spots to visit... appreciate it...
AnswerID: 516887

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:50

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:50
Another vote in favour of the Temora Aviation Museum. No static displays, only aircraft that can fly.

The annual big airshow scheduled for November should be at the top of your list. They have a caravan park on the airfield too. Tickets are on sale and it is very popular.

This was our visit in 2009.

Temora Airshow
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 516892

Reply By: LIFE MEMBER-snailbait - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 19:58

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 19:58
hi
Richmond NSW has a lot of take off and landings not so much fiters but THE HEAVER PLANS
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517086

Reply By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 16:59

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 16:59
Hi Not So Grey Nomads

It may be too late for you but just read your thread. I don't know where you are at the moment but for the next week the RAAF is running exercises out or Williamtown, about 20 kms north of Newcastle. There are always a lot of sightseers at the end of the runway on Medowie Rd at Williamtown and also being a regional airport, you get to see many civilian aircraft as well all at close quarters. Here is a link to RAAF Williamtown where they publish information about when and where they fly but they fly most days.

http://www.airforce.gov.au/RAAFBases/New_South_Wales/RAAF_Base_Williamtown/Royal_Australian_Air_Force_Flying_Area_Williamtown/?RAAF-yWRLAjyw9/VPKgil5mIe9WmJQltc8feu

Finally, on the days they are using the Salt Ash Air Weapons Range, it is interesting to park in Michael Drive, Salt Ash and watch as the Hornets do their bombing runs as well as firing their cannons. The cannons can be heard easily over the aircraft noise. I know as I used to live in Michael Drive until I hit the road in the van.

I hope this is useful and you get to see the Hornets. They are quite spectacular to watch.

AnswerID: 517417

Sponsored Links