camping and fishing

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 07:32
ThreadID: 104024 Views:5611 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
i am looking for somewhere to camp and fish for trout in victoria. i have done a bit around mansfield at sheepyard flat and pineapple flat without much success in these little streams

i guess what i really want is somewhere pretty,not to many people, were i can do some offroad tracks and put a line in near my tent
probably what everyone wants

i would be grateful for any suggestions

dennis
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dieseltojo - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 20:42

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 20:42
Hi bigden,
I went on on occasion from Omeo to Benambra, on the way to Wombat State forest and there was a nice river there. I didn't fish it but a couple of officious wild life officers gave us a hard time re licences etc if we dared to fish.
I can't remember the rivers name but it must have been a goody as later I red those to officers got the sack and prosecuted for netting across the river and selling the fish.
You would have to look at the area closely but it was easy to get to.

The Dargo area is nice as well and you can camp easily on the river at Italian Flat and many other spots as well.

The fishing , well it's up to all of us I am afraid. -:)
AnswerID: 517038

Follow Up By: 99problems - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 19:52

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 19:52
Google map Wonnangatta River, plenty of campsites along Wonnangatta Rd. Just out of Dargo.
FollowupID: 796680

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 20:47

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 20:47
Just follow the Goulburn river Dennis.

On inlet side above Eildon
--------------------------------
More tracks and stacks of camping south of Jamieson to Knockwood - like 100 camp areas.

On outflow side from Eildon
-------------------------------------
The rivers huge with more people but still a few large lovely basic camp grounds
and this keeps on going for a hundred km. (also some serious tracks).

P.S. I know nothing about fishing , but the shire that covers a lot of this area Murrindindi (where I am) , is supposed to be the best trout fishing in Australia.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517129

Follow Up By: bigden - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:38

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 08:38
thanks everyone
robin , you mention below Eildon . can you recommend any areas with river access, and where are those tracks?
I didn't think there was a lot of access to the river for camping
I havnt been to the lower Goulbourn for a long time, maybe that's where I should look

the Wonnangatta is another of those little streams I havnt been successful in!

dennis
FollowupID: 796694

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:00

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:00

Lot of ground to cover in your question Dennis.

First the politically correct spots are covered by the following site.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/fishing-locations/northern-victoria-inland-fishing-maps/Goulburn-River
Many have been damaged by DSE though for example Horseshoe camp area - you have to now leave your car about 100m from water edge.

There are at least a dozen other spots where to can drive to embankment though and camp.
I'll describe a couple.

Rooftop maps are good even though they are out of date and can be got at Glenburn United roadhouse on way up from Melb.

e.g. Big River - Rubicon map shows serval places going west from Eildon from the seriously fun Lake trk , then to Kendalls camp area on the Rubican river from which there is an serious un named trk immediatly west of the bridge near old power station and the milder Herbs rd on the east side of river which goes up to a great lookout.

Moving over to Toolangi Black Range map you have everything from free van type spot called brooks river reserve to Ridds rd just east of Molesworth where you can camp on river bank next to a large concrete bridge that has been collapased at the ends to stop drive over it (used to be main road there) , 100m east of Molesworth you can get near river in a little spot but bank is high.

Its also worth driving thru Molesworth CV park where you can get to a little known boat ramp.
(think it meant to be day visitor only - photo of sign there showing other access points).

Below Molesworth you can head up scrubby crk rd and tackle Wherret and surrounding trks.

Moving on past Killing worth boat ramp over to Ghin Ghin bridge where you can camp if you interpret the signage as I do.

South of here goes to Strath crk falls / tracks etc.

All of above and more are legal but some have gates to put you off.

If you explore the area bit by bit you will find a wealth of other stuff as well.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796791

Follow Up By: bigden - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 20:54

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 20:54
thanks robin
i really appreciate your help. i will get up there in a couple of weeks and drive down from seymour and check it all out
i hope you havnt got to many people excited though

dennis
FollowupID: 796835

Sponsored Links