Pre Trip Inspection And Post Trip Insection

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 21:50
ThreadID: 104031 Views:2121 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from outback trip and on doing a service and general check over I noticed the bullbar a bit loose. On further checking, two bolts loose and two missing which is now fixed. A few other things had signs of wear and stone blasting. The car has done two out back trips in six months on some bad corrigations, so some wear and tear was expected. Do others have their cars checked over after outback trips or wait for things to brake or fall off. I think that post inspection is just as important as pre trip inspection and wounder how many have both done.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 22:36

Saturday, Aug 24, 2013 at 22:36
When we are away I get under the car every 2 -3 days and inspect all fasteners.
AnswerID: 517044

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 09:52

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 09:52
Good point.

My Prado OME bullbar (aluminium one) fell off near Marble Bar after the bolts worked loose and/or fell off!

Dealer said that it is a common problem and part of each service is to check all the bolts. No one had ever done that before obviously.

The Toyota replacement pack of bolts and spring washers (useless with corrugations) was priced at $80 with a weeks wait for delivery.

The local bolt shop had high tensile bolts and nyloc nuts that cost $12. Nothing has moved after they were fitted!

It pays to try and learn about these things before they happen but thats not always easy. Apparently the OME towbar bolts do the same thing, but mine are still tight.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796579

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:55

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:55
Been Everywhere & Bill
Yes I also do a check every couple of days, but didn't lean or rattle bullbar while away, only noticed the problem when I used my driving lights and they were pointing to the ground after we got home. Bill nylon lock nuts are good and I also use a bit of lock tight. If the bullbar is my only problem after 2 toutback trips I'm happy.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 796607

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:39

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:39
Gday Murray
Good trip?? I'll ring you later about another trip...

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517066

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:58

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:58
Gdat Muz
Yes a good trip, four days of bad weather but the rest good. Will hear from you or will ring.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 796608

Sponsored Links