ALDI UHF CB & Recovery tracks

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 15:47
ThreadID: 104038 Views:6452 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Currently these and several other items are on sale - guess for fathers day presents.

I got the CB & brother got the Maxtrax equivalents.

The recovery tracks are a little bit shorter at 1100, have very wide ramp at one end and are blunt at the other.

Seem as substantial as other products and can be easily clipped together to make a single 2.2m track. Probably ok if you have nothing and have room to store them.
(I always carry a set of snow chains or 800mm Tred recovery mats partly because of small size)

The UHF CB is certainly a well priced 1/2 din size item, and has all the features you would expect but its all a bit dicky.
Scanning & slow up/down buttons point towards slow internal processors and basic internal bits.
Got the impression it used a standard internal chip which usually means the real sensitivity is down on what top line units can deliver.
Still if your after a basic unit and don't care much its ok at $99.

Mine actually failed to receive after I selected a CTCSS code and manual is very skimpy.
Only had it 2 hrs before I returned it, and didn't have confidence in product to swap for another.
I guess this is one thing about these types of stores.
Its often hard to check an item out properly first - but usually they take them back without any fuss.

I note in the warranty it says "Warranty void unless installed by a professional Technican" this is a dumb statement and ultimately not enforceable - but could give you heartache if the checkout operator was having a bad day.

P.S. I didn't like the tyre repair kit because of the plastic handled plug insertion tools
(you need really good tools for inserting plugs) but the rest of the kit is worth it for the price.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 18:37

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 18:37
Thanks for the heads up Robin, I was contemplating buying one but decided I had enough toys for the moment but then was having second thoughts and was thinking of heading in to my nearest store tomorrow. Won't do it now. You have put my mind to rest. Many thanks for the report.

As I really want a couple of units I decided these 3 X UHF would be better value for my purposes.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517077

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 19:17

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 19:17
Hi Bruce

Those handhelds would out perform the ADLI unit (you won't see 0.16UV @ 12db sinad on them).
Also for me I could use it on amateur radio as well.

Would you get the 12v adapter and antenna adaptor to make them sucessful in a car - or just happy as handheld.

Although we just use a cheap handheld by itself in a phone holder
, like on last trip as 2nd & 3rd radios.
I gave my wife the task of calling out that we are coming on the approach to every dune.
The nice short range meant we should have informed everybody needing to know, without the signal annoying everyone with a 10km radius.

Mind you , we didn't get through to the guy in a day dream who said I don't bother with a radio - one of few times I wish I had a big bullbar.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796626

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 09:12

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 09:12
I already have a Wouxun 5 watt hand held and I am more than satisfied with it and that has honed my thinking with the units in the link. They are programmable also, not that I am into it all that much but it is a handy feature.

I want the extra units to fit into a farm vehicle and the tractor to improve communication around the farm should I need it. The hand held units are a fraction of the price of fixed units and, as you say, with external antennas they will fill the bill nicely. Yes I would get the adaptors if I decide to fix the units in vehicles.

I have a GME as a fixed unit in the cruiser and use it all the time when touring and on the trucky channel when out and about just to pick up current traffic information. The language is sometimes interesting also.LOL

You are dead right, 2 of the best things you can have is a good radio and a bloody big bullbar, luckily I have both.LOL I was listening to Macka on Sunday morning and some trucky driving a road train said he had bowled 30 kangaroos during the night due to the amount of roos on the road because of the drought. Right there is enough reason to have a good bullbar when country driving, especially at the moment.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796648

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:06

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:06
I'd get any acessories you can at the same time Bruce - 3 or 4 years ago I had to pay $14.95 for the antenna adaptor locally.

We also use radios everyday for local comms here in melbourne eastern suburbs and the only thing that makes this viable is the use of CTCSS as it keeps the language down to.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796650

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:58

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:58
Thanks for the suggestion Robin. Just placed them on order.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796750

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 18:52

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 18:52
Thanks Robin, comprehensive as usual.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 517079

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 20:22

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 20:22
Quote > "P.S. I didn't like the tyre repair kit because of the plastic handled plug insertion tools (you need really good tools for inserting plugs) "

Well, I have to say it's the heaviest, hardest plastic I've ever seen ;-)

I think ya better have another look, Robin............

IMO, @ $15 this has to be the best value in such kits you're likely to find anywhere....
(the insertion tools alone are worth at least that ;-))

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517087

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 08:29

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 08:29
Hi ED
Glad you are happy withthem - I have full metal ones now after having a couple of plastic ones fail.

Note - I haven't had an ALDI one fail.

Sometimes I have needed all my weight to force the hole and plug in and it can be quite a task.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796643

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 21:44

Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 21:44
We don't have Aldi in WA, but this sounds like a fair price. I have a specials brochure from Auto Pro (for our nearest store) with a Uniden 5w 80 channel set complete with antenna pack and aerial $195. I think with the Aldi one the antenna was extra??

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517091

Follow Up By: heldus - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 04:17

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 04:17
Motherhen,

it won´t be long before:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/two-year-wait-for-aldi-bargains/story-e6frg2qc-1226576479902

Regards
Helga
FollowupID: 796641

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:57

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:57
Hi Motherhen

There are many out there now sub $200 with antenna like Oricom's
however many do not have the best performance.

A typical unit like Oricom UHF058 (and Aldi item) has a sensitivity of -118dbm whereas your garden variety GME 3420 and kin claim -123dbm

I.E. 5db better which is significant.

ALDI is a mixed blessing in my opinion as its often hard to determine the quality of the product up front and products are often not available but if leave yourself in a position to return things then with care you can do ok.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 796652

Reply By: Nutta - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 14:09

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 14:09
I was keen on the recovery tracks and to my surprise there were 2 or 3 sets still in the shop, and maybe for a reason, they are so goddam BIG!

I'd prefer to spend the extra money and get the maxtrax or similar, the aldi ones were just so wide, and besides I never get bogged anyway because I'm stuck in one spot running a bl00dy business!!!

I like dreaming about getting out there though!

Cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 517111

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 18:29

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 18:29
As recovery tracks rely on surface area, I would have thought wide is good!
FollowupID: 796665

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 19:42

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 19:42
True, at least I would have something to fill my ute with I suppose.
FollowupID: 796678

Sponsored Links