New 4WD Track in the Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 21:48
ThreadID: 104040 Views:3857 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Many of you would have driven the track up to Mt Caernarvon before, well the track is about to open up again but with some major upgrades and just on 30kms of new track that has been created over the last couple of months.
The new track has never been open to the public before.
There is a website under construction for the new track athttp://www.caernarvontrack.com/ and updates and details on the track will soon be on the new website.
I drove the track over the weekend and in my option it is awesome with fantastic views from new lookouts and incredible never seen before valleys and gully's.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 07:37

Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 07:37
Doesn't sound to me as if it is connected in any way with Willow Springs Station and the original iconic Skytrek.

If not Boo! Won't be going there.
Stuff the Gun Club and the Rock Wallaby Association.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517101

Follow Up By: Chaz - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:24

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:24
Why would it be connected in any way with Willow Springs Station?
They sold it over 12 years ago. Usually when you sell something, you don't own it any more.

Anyway, the link is wrong. It's http://caernarvontrack.com
FollowupID: 796738

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:33

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:33
Willow Springs and the Rock Wallaby mob had a bit of a falling out as Skytrek used part of the RW land. The RW Foundation jacked the lease arrangement up to an unreasonable figure so Skytrek was changed. A lot of people thought the RW Foundation did the wrong thing by Willow Springs. I don't know both sides of the story, I'm just saying what happened and why some are annoyed.
FollowupID: 796742

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:56

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:56
In a nutshell Mike is correct.
In March 2013, Skytrek was rerouted to remain withing the boundaries of Willow Springs Station after prolonged "negotiations" broke down between Willow Springs and the Gun Club/Rock Wallaby Association.

Information I obtained from Carmel was to the effect that Willow Springs could not justify the outrageous rise in annual fees being forced on them, for access across the adjacent land, even though Willow Springs wore all the costs of maintaining the track throughout its length.

Unfortunately, the rerouting "cut off" access to Mount Carnarvon and I suspect by the topic of the original post heading, someone is now trying to "cash in" on parts of the track, with possibly new access to and from the Mount from public access roads.
If my assumptions are correct they can go and get knotted with their new promotion.

I still go to Willow Springs on occasions as I love the bush camping there. Skytrek is still a challenging and enjoyable driving experience for 4WD enthusiasts and this is what I would choose to drive, rather than some opposition's track attempting to cash in on the Skytrek reputation.

I have no connection with Willow Springs Station, etc. etc. etc.
Bill

FollowupID: 796748

Follow Up By: Chaz - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:57

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:57
Seriously, do you thing $10/vehicle was too much?
I don't think it much to do with money at all, just a fair price for the number of vehicles that were counted traveling over the track.
FollowupID: 796749

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:36

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:36
Chaz,

You've got the wrong slant mate.

The cost of the Skytrek trip is not and never has been the issue.
The thousands of dollars the adjacent landholders wanted to charge Willow Springsfor nothing more than financial greed for the access rights, just could not be justified.
Willow Springs Station did the only thing it could in an effort to maintain the iconic Skytrek experience.

I suggest you read the media release at the bottom of This Link
for further information.

Bill

FollowupID: 796753

Follow Up By: prado 01 - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:48

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:48
I dont know what the big deal is....google the history of the Bunkers and it is clear....not that hard to work out.
Cheers
FollowupID: 796755

Follow Up By: Replay - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 17:48

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 17:48
Well Boo you Bill!

I will be going and supporting the conservation of this great land and I will support Willow Springs through promoting other to drive the track and then stay at Willow Springs.

This track sounds awesome and everyone should have the opportunity to drive it. There are always too side to every story ...one thing Bill always fails to do.... So on wards and up wards to the top of Mount Caernarvon track!! And may the income ensure the track is maintained, that insurance costs are covered and that the conservation projects continue to ensure that this great land is here for future generations to come.

I also hope that they two properties can support each other to create a more adventurous region to visit. You could stay at Willow Springs and drive Skytrek one day, then drive Mt Caernarvon track the next day....what an adventure.

I find it interesting as they are two very different style of properties...one working station with accommodation and the other is conservation. Very keen to see all on offer.

Go Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Preservation Association and Go Willow Springs.... bring back the adventure!!!

Bill get off your soap box and build a bridge.... you will ended up being the only one to miss out on this adventure.

FollowupID: 797946

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:52

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:52
Just for the information of readers, archived posts on the Skytrek issue will alert everybody to the fact that both 4x4Treker and Chaz are interested parties from the Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Preservation Association and/or the Gun Club that owns the adjacent land.

Therefore it is most probable that they are using the post in this forum to promote the new venture. The Club/s they represent are attempting to "ride on the Camel's back" with what Skytrek and Willow Springs Station have previously achieved.

Their previous attempt was to charge for nothing more than access across their land.
That failed and Skytrek still exists in a modified form.

This then is obviously nothing more than a blatant attempt to raise interest via ExplorOz due to the wide acceptance we have in the 4WD community.

Damn them!!!

Bill

AnswerID: 517178

Follow Up By: Chaz - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 05:40

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 05:40
“The fact that both 4x4Treker and Chaz are interested parties from the Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Preservation Association”

That’s the first statement you’ve made that is accurate, but I think most people already knew that.
FollowupID: 796772

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 06:59

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 06:59
I didn't know that. Thanks Sand Man for pointing it out. I also didn't know that rock wallaby conservationists were sporting shooters in disguise.
FollowupID: 796773

Reply By: 4X4Treker - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 21:40

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 21:40
As usual people think that they are experts on topics and in reality they actually know nothing but hearsay and rumour, the fact of the matter is that only the Reynolds Family and the Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby Preservation Association are the only ones that know what really took place.
One little fact is that the Reynolds Family have assisted the Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby Preservation Association in the creation of this new track and we are grateful for their assistance.
This post was simply to tell people of the track not an invitation for others to put hard working volunteers down..
The Reynolds family and the Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby Preservation Association have moved on and its about time that other people did the same.
AnswerID: 517185

Sponsored Links