Fuel filtration options for round the world trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 18:59
ThreadID: 104073 Views:1949 Replies:14 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We are setting up our 1hz troopy for a round the world trip leavin next year. No doubt there will be some poor quality and contaminated fuel along the way.

Seems the CAV filter is a good option just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what model is suitable for the troopy.
Also if there are any other options, I've heard of a water in fuel alarm system and of people setting up multiple filters. This is my first diesel vehicle so any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HarryH - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:40

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:40
Not sure about the extra filter but I reckon a Mr Funnel wouldn't be a bad idea.
What I really want to know is more about your trip??
I'm dreaming of doing the same thing- unfortunately reality is getting in the way :)
AnswerID: 517176

Follow Up By: rb30e - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 07:13

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 07:13
Cheers for that. The mr funnel idea looks interesting. Maybe not so practical though but a good idea none the less.

We've stared a blog for our trip, well the preparations so far. You can check it out here if your interested.

http://lostabound.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers
FollowupID: 796774

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:23

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:23
We've used Mr Funnel through the centre.

No problems with the funnel keeping up with the pump flow and it stops any contaminants.

We're planning to tour Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos into Thailand with our 80 series in 2016.
Have you made any plans to travel through that region?

Steve
FollowupID: 796999

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 20:43

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 20:43
Google .... Water watch fuel systems a VERY good product and Australian!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517183

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 22:59

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 22:59
Troopies usually come with 2 filters - is yours missing one?
AnswerID: 517189

Reply By: PhilD - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 23:01

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 23:01
Hi, I am building an Expedition Vehicle for the same reason, and will be installing a Racor 500FG2 with water detection kit on my Iveco. My research says this is the best solution, but only experience will tell. They are cheapest overseas, but are available in Australia.
Phil
AnswerID: 517190

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:26

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:26
I have done a fair bit of driving in the more out of the way places around the world in our 1Hz troopy. I made sure that my fuel system was in top condition before shipping the vehicle off and carried 2 spare fuel filters. I have a total capacity of 180L which gives the option to pick and choose where to buy fuel. I think this is a key as some places just look worrying and avoiding them was I think why we had no problems.

I used 1 fuel tank as a reserve, filled with known good fuel and only topped it up when I was confident that the source was good. I also made sure that I always had an empty 2L clear plastic container (cordial, fruit juice etc) and if I had doubts I filled it with the diesel before putting any in the tanks. If you let it settle you can easily see if there is a major problem with dirt or water.

I think the oem filters are good and mine does have a water warning alarm, though it may not be as good as the more sophisticated after market ones. I only alter engine systems when absolutely necessary in the interests of reliability.

cheers
AnswerID: 517210

Follow Up By: rb30e - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 13:15

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 13:15
Thanks for that. I was kind of thinking along those lines as our troopy is fitted with two 90L fuel tanks and the standard one which I'm unsure of the capacity. Like you said keeping one tank as a back up from a source that seems reliable is definetely a good idea. That way if we run into trouble we can just switch to the good tank until we find a way of sorting it out.

Regarding the fuel system, I've had the diesel pump rebuilt as well as the injectors reconditioned. I'm running the DTS aftermarket turbo on mine so when I get a chance I'm thinking of getting it dyno tuned to make sure the mixtures are just right. Apart from changing the filter and checking all the fuel lines are in good condition theres not a lot more to the system than that is there?

I'm thinking of getting the water watch system as I dont think ours is fitted with a water alarm. Definitely carry some spare filters with us also.

I like the idea of not only being selective and carefull where we pick up fuel but also checking in a clear bottle if we suspect it may be contaminated.

FollowupID: 796795

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 16:12

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 16:12
Our troopy does not have a turbo and so is very tolerant of fuel variations as well as being slow! The power aspect does not concern us much as the old girl just keeps pulling. Even at high altitude (Kyrgystan & Tajikistan) we had no problems.

When you get it tuned ask the person doing it about how much variation there will be with altitude. The modern turbo engines with ECU controls etc will compensate a bit. If you plan to go high up make sure the turbo is set appropriately. I would not have the boost set too high so everything is under less stress.

I think the 1Hz engine is a great one for remote touring. I am sure if we had a new common rail engine we would have had troubles as some of the fuel was definitely 'truck grade'. The 1Hz just drank it down. We averaged 11.5L/100km over 40K through Central Asia with a well loaded vehicle but we did travel at moderate speed to enjoy the trip and not set records.

Toyota 4wds are everywhere and I was surprised that in most major cities the Toyota dealers are well equipped and have good service centres. Parts are not a problem unless you are out in the sticks. Because of this I carried spares that would keep us moving if something failed. The following is what I remember I took and would do again.

replacement alternator - practice fitting it at home so you know how to do it and it is the right one.
all belts and hoses
1 set of wheel bearings & seals (inner and outer) pack with grease and put in ziplock bag
clutch & brake cylinder kits, wheel kits
engine oil & gear oil - engine oil will keep a gearbox, transfer or dif working in an emergency
radiator stop leak, epoxy cement, gasket goo, miracle tape etc
engine thermostat
wire, connectors, tape, nuts & bolts, clips, cable ties, bulbs, multimeter
good set of tools but don't go overboard as it adds up weight. I went through each possible repair I might have to make and worked out what tools I would need
tyre plugs & tools

I took 1 full spare tyre, new casing, 2 tubes in case, range of internal patches

My troopy is the old HZJ75 so it has leaf springs front & rear - I carried spare main leaves, a few bushes, centre bolts and U bolts. I nearly did not but was glad I did even though we did not use them. Roads in countries like Mongolia are diabolical and a spring break would be a major problem. We saw a couple.

I did not take shockers as they do not stop you.

I would suggest undoing, greasing and torquing up all the bolts on the suspension, shocks and steering. When I did this I had a lot of trouble removing the shocks and so I replaced them. Much easier to sort out rusted bolts at home.

make sure the shocks, steering damper, suspension bushes are in perfect condition

I put on new BFG muddies and they were great. Do not travel with tyres less than 50%

Sorry if this is obvious to you - happy to answer question if you have any.

cheers
AnswerID: 517222

Follow Up By: rb30e - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 08:26

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 08:26
Cheers thanks for that. Any advice is appreciated.

I've done a fair bit of touring through oz and abroad but this will be out most ambitious trip yet.

Your advice regarding the turbo etc is very helpful as we plan on doing the pamir highway and hadn't really thought about the engine performance in higher altitudes so much. I think if anything the turbo should help in this case compensate for the lower atmospheric pressure at high altitude. But your right about running conservative levels of boost just to be safe. I'll definitely mention that one to the bloke tuning it.

We are planning on shipping the troopy to the UK,heading east through Europe into Russia then Central Asia. through the 'Stans' then ferry across the caspian to Azerbaijan and on to turkey Greece and the Balkans and back into europe. Then by ferry from Italy to Israel, Jordan, Egypt then the east coast of Africa to Cape Town where well probably finish our trip.

I use to have a patrol which we sold for the troopy. I sold my petrol GU to make way for the troopy for a number of reasons. Diesel availability and fuel efficiency, the patrol was shocking and apparently some of the countries we will be passing through have as low as 81 octane petrol. We also need the space in the back to convert to a camper with room for a bed. I'm paraplegic so accessible accomodation may be very limited if not non existent, we want to be completely self sufficent. although we will be bring our oztent camping may not be an option in cities etc. And lastly as you said compared to nissans they are everywhere so parts and knowledge are easy to come by.

The troopy we bought had 330 000km on the clock and had also been converted to auto with an 80 series box which bolts to the 1hz and the DTS turbo setup. It was a rare find and what we were after, as mentioned being paraplegic I can only drive auto. Plus I liked the idea of the DTS turbo kit because they are so dam slow! In the interests of reliability I went to town on this thing. We had the engine fully rebuilt with AE pistons which are stronger and suit turbo applications. Turned out the cylinder head was cracked because the diesel pump was badly calibrated and injecting to much fuel causing excessive heat. We had the Diesel pump and injectors rebuilt, replaced all the leaf springs, shocks and steering dampener with tough dog gear. All wheel bearings, steering knuckles rebuilt with new bearings and seals, all new steering linkage ends, rebuilt power steering pump, reco starter, I'm going to get the alternator done too. Fit Detroit locker to the rear and reinforced the rear axle studs with 4x100 series dowels, Detroit trutrack to the front, new uni joints. We just took the trannie in for a service because it was holding gears badly, to find aluminium particles all through the oil pan. These were jaming the valves so we bit the bullet and are having that rebuilt to. In the interests of keeping everything cool we have fit extra transmission coolers for the auto. I've also got a top mount intercooler to go with the turbo and tossing up replacing the turbo cartridge as its been on there for near 200,000km. I've got a digital exhaust pyrometer to monitor the exhaust temp. And the previous owner had recently fit a big alloy radiator also.
Lastly but not least 6 new 265 BFG MT KM2's with two spares.
Gone a bit over the top and its cost me a bomb but its an old car with some serious k's so better shelling out now and getting it all right than having something go wrong on the road halfway through Africa. Next step is to get the camper setup in the back. So much work!!!

We are pretty much carrying all the spares that you mentioned bar the alternator, as we are rebuilding that before leaving.
We have that b&b? bead breaker for removing tires so will carry various patches and tubes.
You mentioned carrying spare main leafs, this is my first leaf sprung 4x4, but I am aware they are more likely to break than a coil spring. So when you say the main leaf you talking about the more central one that has the eyes for the bushes fitted yeah? I was thinking of bring one each of the complete old ones along but they are too dam heavy. I'm guessing the main leaf is most likely to break and the only one that will put you out of action.

So that's the vehicle which I'm pretty much focusing on. I've left the misses in charge of all the visas and other paperwork. Trying to get through some of these countries with all the meds I have to take because of my disability is an absolute nightmare. I've gotta take near 25 pills a day most of which are prescription including opiate based pain killers. Works out to be 7000 for the minimum of 9 months that we will be travelling so we gonna have to work something out because there's no chance getting through some of these borders carrying all those drugs!

Anyway I'm getting a bit off topic now, as mentioned we appreciate your advise and if there's anything else you wanna add I'm all ears!!!
FollowupID: 796854

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 16:40

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 16:40
Sounds like you have most things under control but I will add a few more comments that might help.

We used a company called Stantours who are based in Almaty to arrange a few things for us like letters of Invitation (LOI) which are necessary to get visas in some of the countries you are going through. The guy who runs it has lived in the region for a long time and has a lot of knowledge and contacts. He is also happy to give advice once you have done business with him.
Stantours

We spent a lot of time planning the route and notional itinerary because some of the visas are very specific about entry and exit dates. Almaty is a good spot to get visas. We got our Tajik, Uzbek and Kyrgyzstan ones there. Make sure you get all the info about visas before leaving and take it with you. Although most of the former soviet block countries are very similar they each have important differences. The silly business about registering visas on entry is still necessary in some countries and you will find the police and some hotel operators are very pedantic about it. We found that paying to stay in a major hotel and getting the staff to do the registration saved a lot of hassle though at a cost. The registration places are often crowded and few people speak english.

I rebuilt our troopy before leaving too and then took it on a couple of trips in Oz to shake out any bugs and give time to modify things. Well worth while.

You are correct about the turbo compensating at altitude. Make sure you get it tuned and do plenty of km before leaving to let it settle and make sure it is right.

My spare main leaves were from the old suspension and I suggest you do the same. It is only the main, the ones with the eyes, that will bring you to a halt. I bolted them to the roof rack out of the way. Not very heavy on their own. Don't carry a spare on the rear door as it is sure to give you trouble due to the pounding on the roads you will travel. It also makes getting in and out of the rear easier.

Your route sounds great. We shipped to Sth Korea then took the ferry to Vladivostok and drove west from there but spent a lot of time in Siberia and went nth to Yakutsk. We went Russia, Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Europe, UK and shipped home from there. 9 months & 40,000km. Great trip. Do not underestimate the time you will need. Don't rush there is much to see and travelling slower is more enjoyable and easier on the vehicle.

Make sure you have an up to date letter from your doctor on a proper letterhead listing all the drugs you need to have. My wife and I both had to take a significant number of medications with us and we were surprised that the border officials were not really worried. Make sure you keep them in the original packaging. We kept ours in 2 places, about a months supply in easy access and the rest down in the bowels of the under bed storage. Have a separate list of all your prescriptions with your passport and papers just in case you have any trouble. Most drugs are readily available in the big cities at the chemists and all you need is a piece of paper with the name of the drug and dosage written clearly in english and you can buy them over the counter but not cheap. All legal and easy.

The DHL courier system is pretty good to the capital cities and you may be able to get supplies sent that way but check it out first. Given that you need opiates it will be trickier as they are more restricted. I would contact the Aus govt DEFAT and get advice. They are quite helpful if you get the right person. People travelling with medication and needing resupply is quite common and I am sure that they can suggest the easiest way.

We tended to camp away from the towns and had few problems. When in the big cities we parked the troopy in a secure hotel car park and enjoyed a break from camping and the confines of the troopy.

One addition I would recommend is to put an awning on the roofrack at the rear and have a clip on weather skirt. You will get a mix of weather and having the shade and protection when the weather is grotty makes a big difference. It also gives needed privacy when you are in some spots.

We put dark tiinting on the rear windows which gave privacy and made it hard for snoopers. Do not put any tinting on the front side windows as it is banned in some countries and in Kazakhstan it is a favourite for the police to dream up a fine.

I am jealous of your trip and would be off again like a shot but there are too many other places to see before we get too old. I am currently building an expedition camper on an Isuzu 4wd truck.

Happy to give any other info or advice.
cheers
AnswerID: 517261

Follow Up By: JessB - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 15:34

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 15:34
Hi Alastair,

I'm rb30e's wife. Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent information and the time that you took to reply to us. That Stantours website is one of the more comprehensive Central Asian visa websites that I have visited and an excellent resource for the LOI's. Big time saver.
Sounds like you also have some experience with carting meds around - invaluable info once again. I've drafted a letter listing all meds and the reason why we are carrying them with the view to distribute around the embassies in advance and at the borders. We are looking to arrange some 'med drops' at strategic points on the trip - most likely in Australian Embassies so I will look further into what can or can not be DHL'd.
RE: the Troopy; we have two spare wheels and one is on the tailgate bracket. We were looking to put a 20L water jerry can and bracket between the tailgate and wheel but I'm just not convinced that with all the weight the set up will fair well on the bumpy long journey. Two spares on the roof takes up so much room though so perhaps one spare wheel with tyre and an additional tyre on its' own.
What was your set up water wise? We are looking at a staino tank behind one of the front seats underneath the bed area.
Where do you plan to take your Isuzu?
Cheers,
Jess
FollowupID: 796982

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:10

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:10
I have a Diesel Water Separator from Gold Coast Diesel

It is fitted with an alarm which sounds on start up just to remind you that its on and also when fuel is contaminated.

Had it fitted at Gold Coast and Alan the owner is an excellent Diesel mechanic.
Worth giving him a call to see exactly what his product does.
I am sure he would freight it to wherever you live

Never had to stop vehicle however, its good to know that it is there.

Pedro
AnswerID: 517278

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:13

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:13
That link above looked a bit dodgy so try this
http://www.goldcoastdieselspecialist.com.au/
FollowupID: 796921

Follow Up By: rb30e - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 04:53

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 04:53
Cheers mate, looks good. Similar to the water watch alarm just a lil cheaper. Definetly something to consider.
FollowupID: 797440

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:00

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:00
Jess,
>I'm rb30e's wife. Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent information and the >time that you took to reply to us. That Stantours website is one of the more >comprehensive Central Asian visa websites that I have visited and an excellent >resource for the LOI's. Big time saver.

I am loath to recommend people most of the time but David at Stantours was great.

>Sounds like you also have some experience with carting meds around - invaluable info >once again. I've drafted a letter listing all meds and the reason why we are carrying >them with the view to distribute around the embassies in advance and at the borders. >We are looking to arrange some 'med drops' at strategic points on the trip - most likely >in Australian Embassies so I will look further into what can or can not be DHL'd.

I would not worry too much about distributing the letter too much. The border officials are quite independent and are prone to making up their own rules. A letter from a senior embassy official on letterhead giving permission to bring your meds into their country would carry some clout. Officials in former soviet block countries all tend to defer to a higher authority and if they can see that a senior person has approved/recommended something they are loath to go against it. As I said the need for medication resupply is not unusual and doing it through the Aus embassies with advice from DFAT is the way to go. Also if you can have the doctors letter (keep it simple) translated into Russian it may save some time. When you cross the borders generally the best thing is to not volunteer things until asked. Sometimes they will search thoroughly other times they just have a look in obvious places. The fact that your husbands issues are clearly obvious will make things easier. The standard form they ask you to fill out asks about drugs but they make the distinction between drugs & medications. If you have your doctor’s letter in support I doubt you will have problems.

>RE: the Troopy; we have two spare wheels and one is on the tailgate bracket. We >were looking to put a 20L water jerry can and bracket between the tailgate and wheel >but I'm just not convinced that with all the weight the set up will fair well on the bumpy >long journey. Two spares on the roof takes up so much room though so perhaps one >spare wheel with tyre and an additional tyre on its' own.

Personally I would not carry a spare on the tailgate. Putting the jerry can on as well will make it worse. Provided you have a well constructed roof rack and keep the load to a minimum putting the spares up on top would be better. Make sure you practice getting the wheel up and down. A spare wheel dropped can do a lot of damage and will bounce a surprising distance doing serious injury if it hits someone. I use a simple rope and pulley to lower it down and keep things under control. A poly tarp which is always useful to have around as a ground cover when crawling underneath or a cover across the radiator when going through water, is a good protector if you have to slide it down the side of the vehicle. The tyre wheel combo is quite heavy. I used to always travel with 2 full spares but now I have one and a tyre only if I am going remote. Tyre technology has improved greatly and if you drive to the conditions it lessens tyre damage greatly. My experience is that people who have lots of trouble drive too fast, have the wrong pressure or have the wrong tyres. I have the same tyres as you and they performed very well. Slow down if it is rough and drop the pressures a bit if the ground is rocky. This allows the tyre to mould around obstacles. No different to what one should do in Aus. Get in the habit of checking your tyres whenever you stop. Just walk around look at each one and feel the temperature of the casing. If one feels hotter than normal then look for the cause. If they all seem hot perhaps your pressures are not right either high or low.

We came across a group of French travelers in Mongolia who had major suspension problems in brand new Toyota Prados. They had low profile street tyres and when they talked about where they had been it was obvious that they had been travelling very fast.

>What was your set up water wise? We are looking at a staino tank behind one of the >front seats underneath the bed area.

I had 60L of water in 4 15L plastic containers under the bed behind the seats. It was plumbed so I had a tap inside the passenger door. We also carried two 5L containers buried amongst all the other stuff as an emergency reserve. We never needed it but I would still do the same again. We also developed the habit of having a 5L container in the back which we used to top up drinking bottles, cooking etc and just refilling it from the tanks when needed.

Having several separate containers is better than having one. It means you can have water for cooking and washing and keep known good water separate for drinking. Be very careful with drinking water. There is a lot of Guardia and Cryptosporidium in the areas you are going, as well as other bugs from waste – nice crystal clear streams can easily be polluted by the house or animals over the next hill. Bad water can spoil a trip very easily. We always filter all water through a 1 micron filter unless it is from a known good source and I am very picky. We have had no problems from our water in all our travels. The bugs we have picked up have come from eating places etc. Don’t be paranoid just careful. My worst dose of food poisoning was picked up in Delaraine in Tasmania. I had just returned from a trip in India where I had no problems!

>Where do you plan to take your Isuzu?

As we get older we are finding the ground is lower down and harder and so the main aim is to have a little more convenience and comfort. Our main travels will be in the more remote parts of Aus and perhaps SE Asia.

One piece of advice whilst I am my platform. Only take what you really need, keep the load and clutter down and your travelling will be much more enjoyable. If you find you really need something on the trip you will find it and searching the markets or stores is fun. The larger towns are now quite well supplied.

Cheers

AnswerID: 517346

Follow Up By: rb30e - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 05:27

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 05:27
Hi mate, just a couple of things to rack your brain with if you don't mind.

First of all i was Just wondering how you went with shipping? Did you send from Australia in a container or RO/RO? We are going for the container option because you can leave stuff in your car and its more secure. I have heard of people doing the RO/RO option with stuff in their car, although most companies will refuse to do this because the vehicle is left unlocked during transit and at the different ports. they don't want to be held responsible for any of your gear going missing.
What was of more concern to me was the return trip and passing customs and quarantine. I have read the details of this on some government site. It seems pretty straight forward, just the obvious stuff like all dirt and mud removed, no organic matter in the vehicle, windscreen washer bottle emptied. I spoke with a bloke the other day about it he brought a rally car back from NZ. He mentioned that you have to drain ALL fluids from your vehicle from your fuel tanks right down to your diffs. I thought this sounded a little excessive, I can't see how these would become contaminated with any risky biological organisms. Maybe this was the case some time ago but the department of biosecurity doesn't mention anything about it.
Anyway just wondering how you went preparing your vehicle and getting it through customs.

Second question relates to tires.
I did a fair bit of research into this to try and figure out what was best. It's a bit of a compromise choosing a size and brand that would be available across different parts of the world. That and performing suitably for the different types of terrain we are going to encounter.
I ended up going with BF Goodrich mud terrain KM2 tires. And 265/65/16, which seems to be a fairly common size, standard for some land cruisers and patrols. Plus the KM2 is meant to have superior side wall protection which was a good selling point for me as we blew out two tires through the side wall on our last trip through oz. They are going to be pretty noisy especially with the troopys lack of insulation and may not perform as well on the road as other setups, however off road they should perform very well. Especially considering we will probably experience some of the wet season in Africa. We went through our back up plans before regarding tire repairs and carrying spares. Anyway any advice on this, particularly if you had to buy tires on your trip somewhere would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jerome.
FollowupID: 797441

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:31

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:31
The troopy should have 2filters one of which incorpoates a water in fuel alarm
You shouldnt need any thing else
AnswerID: 517348

Follow Up By: rb30e - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:36

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:36
Do you know what era troopy is fitted with these? Ours is a 94 75series.
FollowupID: 797317

Reply By: Julebern - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 18:25

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 18:25
This relates to the Africa section only. We drove in a convoy from Cape Town to Nairobi in 2011. We used Land Rover Disco 4's. they were as basic as you can get. But we had all the spares and with help changed the head gasket by the side of the road.
We asked about Toyota vehicles and they are certainly not as popular as Land Rovers ( I guess due to the English influence) Apparently Toyota make a model specifically for Africa which cuts out much of the electronic bells and whistles available here. We really didn't see many Toyotas apart from the mine sites and UN, so spares and the ability to repair items may be very scarce.
It does sound like a fantastic trip, envious would be one word that springs to mind. Good luck and have a great time

Bernie Renwick
AnswerID: 517583

Follow Up By: rb30e - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 04:51

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 04:51
Ah that's interesting to know, I thought they may be more popular than that in Africa. Probably judging by the tv footage, particularly the news reports, where you see a number of toyotas used by the military and peace keeping forces over there.
It just means we'll have to be as prepared as possible with any spares, maintenance and ware and tare items.
Your right about the land rovers though, you seem to see a lot over there virtually all the docos I've watched about Africa they have been driving land rovers. Also all the safaris we've looked into they seem to be using land rovers also.
Personally I prefer Japanese vehicles after working for subaru for 10+ years that is why we went with the Toyota, my two previous 4x4's were Japanese also and were both good tough and reliable vehicles (Nissan and Isuzu).
FollowupID: 797439

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:12

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:12
WOW..... I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this post on where u guys are going and where others have been..... At this point of time in my Life, I can only dream about doing such a trip..... good on u for making it a reality..... Even though I've done my fair share of traveling around Oz, I'm not sure I'd have the confidence in doing this overseas, but who knows what he future holds.....

One question - What do u guys do about protection for yourselves ?? Do u just keep away from those places that are high risk and if so, how do u find out where "NOT" to go?

Rob
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517723

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 16:19

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 16:19
Jerome,
We shipped from Sydney to Busan in Sth Korea in a container. I insisted that we were able to actually be present when it went inside and had a lock and seal placed on the container. Actually I drove it in myself and then had to crawl out. I did this so that I could be sure it was secure and nothing pilfered at the start. We had all our gear in the vehicle including our spare parts and emergency food in tins and packs.

Make sure that you have the container measurements (on the web) as the door height is reduced by the ridge bar. I had to take my spares off the roof rack and they were then lashed securely so they would not bounce around and do damage.

We were present on the dock when the container was found on the huge wharf in Busan and able to check that the seal was intact. I made sure that the shipping agent checked. I found out later that we should not have been there as it is actually a secure customs area. The agent we used was great and their representative there was very efficient - I think she chatted up the official to lets us in.

Shipping to the UK should be less of a hassle because of the language but we found on the return trip, shipping from Southampton that the agents were far more casual and not as security conscious. I would be quite pushy about having the seal on the container.

I would never ship RORO as I have seen the results. It is cheaper but you would have to pack all your possessions into a crate and ship it separately as I don't think there would be much left once you picked the vehicle up.

Re quarantine. Only water based fluids have to be drained. Oils are not an issue. Make sure that you do a really good job of cleaning the vehicle before it leaves to come back to Aus. The officials here are very strict - fair enough but they do not supervise the cleaning crews well and they are pretty slack. When our troopy went into a container in Southampton it had been wet and rainy for days. We had cleaned the vehicle pretty well. Unfortunately our container got delayed in Singapore and obviously got very warm sitting there By the time it was unpacked in Sydney the whole inside was covered in a layer of mildew and we had to pay to have it cleaned again. They did a poor job but it was passed. The officials also ripped out the insulation from under the bonnet saying it was contaminated with dirt and insects.

One option is to consider selling the vehicle once the trip is done. I didn't want too but it actually would have been financial better for us to do so given the costs of freight and cleaning. I had an offer in the UK from someone who wanted to set off and basically do our trip in reverse.

re parts etc. I think if your troopy is in top condition when you leave it is unlikely that you will have problems if you drive sensibly. Make sure that you leave the vehicle details especially the VIN with someone here in Aus so you can contact them if you get stuck. International couriers are now quite quick and not so expensive. I did this for someone who did a trip like ours the year before us and had the electrics in the steering column pack it in. I was able to buy it and ship it to them in Kazakhstan with little trouble.

I had the same tyres as you, brand new on leaving and they were excellent. Handled all conditions well and were not noisy. The old troopy is not very quiet and we have found with the bed in the back most of the road noise is blocked. I still have the same tyres at ~55,000km and I think they still have ~40% tread left. I still use them for normal trips but would put on a new set if is was doing a serious remote trip. I think I had 5 punctures in the whole trip, 2 stakes, 2 nails from the road and one knife slit in the side wall by someone who tried to rob us. He stabbed the tyre when we were parked and then followed until we had to stop with the flat. He chatted to us whilst his accomplice tried to rob. He did not get anything of ours but pinched a handbag from a vehicle that was stopped with us.

Tyres of this size are quite readily available. Just make sure you replace any tyre that is damaged as soon as you can. Punctures are ok to fix, sidewall slits can only be fixed if they are small and clean cuts not doing too much damage to the belt structure.

Hope this helps.
alastair

AnswerID: 517736

Reply By: rb30e - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:25

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:25
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows which model 75 series troopies came fitted with the twin diesel filters and water alarm?

Mines a 94. I would just look but its up at Drifta in Gloucester at the moment getting the back fitted out.
AnswerID: 519050

Sponsored Links