Heading to Dubbo.

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 19:54
ThreadID: 104076 Views:1722 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
we are heading to Dubbo Zoo and are taking our vans for the trip,we have been told security is an issue and would like to stay at a caravan park that has good security,we were talking to a few fellow travellers and they mentioned that there was a few parks and there is one particular one that has high fences with the only way to enter being via a secured gate at night,we will be at the zoo all day and would really like to enjoy ourselves
without worrying about our possessions so if anyone could help us with any advice/experience it would really be appreciated.

Kind Regards John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 05:25

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 05:25
John,

We have stayed at the BIG 4 Dubbo Parklands which is quite close to the Zoo on several occasions.

I was advised, by a Police friend, not to stay in town as there is a problem with security there. Last year, friends from the Gold Coast stayed in town as they could not get into the Big 4. They lost a considerable amount of property even though they had secured it. Even their Patrol was broken into.

It would pay to book a site before you leave.

DW
AnswerID: 517196

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:08

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:08
Hi John

Like in any larger town, lock and leave. Make sure cash and cameras are not accessible, eg under the bed at night. There have been reports of losses from time to time at any parks in Dubbo. Friends recently had cash taken while they were asleep and the person who broke in even got past their three dogs :O. Only cash was taken, and handbag and cards where thrown under their caravan.

Day time shouldn't be a problem, particularly if you get to know neighbouring caravanners who can be alert.

Enjoy the zoo and other features in Dubbo. An entry pass covers two days as this is really needed to see all. Get there at first opportunity as many animals go to sleep during the day.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517206

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:37

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:37
Thank you for your replies,it really helps when people have done what we want to do before hand,we really appreciate it.

regards John.
FollowupID: 796793

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:42

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:42
John,
Another vote for the Big4, it is quite secure (although they cannot stop people just walking in from outside).

As for the Zoo, book yourself in for a "breakfast" walk - costs extra but takes you early around the back of the enclosures with a guide, and you get to see the animals before they are allowed out into the "day" areas. Well worth the extra, and you can still have a day in "front of house" as well!
FollowupID: 796926

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:49

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:49
Hi John

I have just this afternoon done a brief review of the Western Plains Zoo at Dubbo if you are interested in a preview.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 796927

Sponsored Links