campsites across great central road

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 17:10
ThreadID: 104097 Views:3928 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
travelling across great central road next year have heard of a few camp sites outside of the main stop offs looking for general advise location, pros and cons on these sites
any input much appreciated
cheers Gizza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:02

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 21:02
Hi, this query rung a bell with me.I'm sure it's been asked and answered recently. Try the search function at the top of the page using GCR and also Great central road as your search strings.
AnswerID: 517277

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 22:23

Thursday, Aug 29, 2013 at 22:23
Gizza
Did the great central road 4 weeks ago, camped at Warrakurna as wanted to visit Giles weather station. Also camped at Tjukayirlia which you could not fault, great sites,camp kitchen and ablution block and great staff. As to non main stop off's I called into Yarla Kutjarra and Desert Surf Central. Yarla Kutjarra is clean, sheltered and good drop toilet. Desert Surf Central near the Hunt Oil road is a sheltered area, but no toilet. I would not hesitate to camp at either spot.There's also the Pines and Camp Paradise which I didn't call into. Only used the road houses as they fell into where I wanted to be to see things in the mornings. Docker River camp had trashed toilets which was a shame as nice spot to camp.

Murray

PS I posted Yarla Kutjarra & Desert Surf Central in places
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517284

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:05

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:05
Crossed the GCR, east to west in late May. We departed Curtin Springs (A good camp..
free if you don't need power) & camped at Yarla Kutjurra the first night. Nice spot with
a long drop. Made Tjukayirla the next night..very good camp & made to feel welcome
by Al & Serena..members on this site. We towed an "offroad" poptop. Road varied from really good to bloody awful..just need to adjust speed to suit, & tyre pressure if
you ascribe to that theory. Be very careful if lowering pressure & not reducing speed
considerably, especially if carrying high load. The heat build up will destroy tyres very
quickly. The only tyre disasters we saw were those running 25 psi at 80 kmh+ under
heavy load. I don't change pressure for gravel & ran 38 psi cold all round with no
problems & we ran the dirt from Bourke to Meekatharra. But plenty will tell you to
"drop em". The choice is yours. It is a great drive & not difficult if you drive to the
conditions. Enjoy..cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 517320

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:16

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 17:16
along with those mentioned above there is plenty of scope to access camping areas by getting onto the "old" GCR...........heaps of places to camp and away from the continuous traffic - the 1 every hour or so. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517347

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 23:33

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 23:33
Hi Gizza

There are a few good gravel pits to get away from the road, but by the conditions of your permit, you can only camp at authorised areas, and they have been listed here.

The lovely sited camp Docker River camp is usually trashed. A nice location if you don't need the amenities which don't work.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 517380

Sponsored Links