Dalhousie Springs

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1041 Views:2027 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip in June and would like to see Dalhousie Springs on the way to Alice Springs. We will be towing an off road camper-trailer and wondered about road conditions from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie, Dalhousie back to Kulgara. Also we would like to have some idea of travelling time to & from. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00
Why not give the folks a phone at the Pink Roadhouse Oodnadatta, they will give you the best info !! I have always found them most helpful ...
steve
AnswerID: 3180

Follow Up By: Darian - Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00
While on the Oodnadatta to Marla track, everything should be fine, but the Hamilton to Dalhousie run has some really stony sections - I suggest really good tyres and very sensible speeds. Seems the problem is caused by too many tourists (like me), and this is the Year of the Outback ! Cheerz - dp
FollowupID: 1274

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Glenn & Bev, From Hamiltom Stn to Dalhousie on the Pedirka Track is QUITE rocky, but really ggod fun if your camper is in good nick and you let your tyres down on the rocky bits to about 25 PSI. I believe the road via Mt Dare is a doddle.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3230

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00
We travelled Dalhousie to Oodnadatta 4 weeks ago. I can vouch for the rocks. There were also some shallow water crossings. Fogarty's claypan was wet and we had to take the track around it.

I wouldn't deflate the tyres for the rocks myself. I reckon that would expose the side walls more.

An easy 3 hour drive at a leisurely pace. Make sure you have a system to prevent stones rebounding from the trailer through your back window.

Enjoy the swim.
AnswerID: 3259

Follow Up By: Mike - Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
Bob, the advice we were given by Adam, Who has run the Pink R/House for a veeeery long time is, side wall damage is extremely rarely seen, that the tyres will flex better at 25-30 PSI therefore reducing the possibility of puncture by sharp rocks. That's what he runs and so do most others up there.We have been given the same advice by service people at Birdsville and in the Flinders. So that's what we do and it gives the added benefit of a little smoother ride on the stoney terrain.
Happy trails, Mike.
FollowupID: 1329

Follow Up By: Gorian - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00
I agree on reducing tyre pressure. On a recent trip in that area I ran 25psi. Two others in the group had a flat and were running 35-40psi. As an illustration to simplify the explanation - try puncturing a tight balloon and a half deflated balloon and the principle will be clear!!
FollowupID: 1342

Reply By: Leanne - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Hi, we were up that way during the April school holidays, agree totally with the advice given on the rocks. We also reduced tyre pressure with advice from the chap at the Pink Roadhouse - we had three vehicles in our group, and luckily none of us had punctures. Also, don't drive too fast over this terrain. The March flies were thick at the campground at Dalhousie, as well as just about every other bug and bushfly you could imagine - we took fly nets with us and never regretted it !! To give you some idea of time from Dalhousie through Mt Dare, and on to Kulgera, about 6 hours with stops for lunch & smokos. Fuel was $1.39 unleaded at Mt Dare, $1.49 for diesel. Lovely part of Australia, make sure you take your bathers, as a swim in the hot springs is a must (early morning with the steam rising off the water is a divine sight. ) Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 3572

Sponsored Links