(SEQ) Moore-Linville-Kilkivan (Chimney) Day-trip (500kms in Total)

Submitted: Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 19:58
ThreadID: 104117 Views:2543 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thought it was time to take my D22 Ute for it's 1st exploring trip + it was definitely time for another Midweek Explore Trip as it had been a while, so I decided to retrace some previous tracks to see if they were still open + find some new tracks..... So along with Dave who just happened to have some time off as well, it was off to head towards Kilcoy and onwards to Moore, turning north towards Linville. From here it was a nice drive criss-crossing the Brisbane River over and over again. It was surprising to still see them still repairing some of the crossings from the big floods 3yrs ago.... Some great spots as well to stop and wet the feet or the fishing line too. We cont'd along West Branch Ck Rd heading in a northly direction, then onto Manabar Rd, then turning eastwards crossing the Kilcoy-Murgon intersection (T/R here to go to LCMP). We went straight ahead following a previous tracklog of this area that I had done some years earlier, but it was unfamiliar to me at this point as the 1st time I had travelled this route from from the opposite direction....

Came to the end of the designated road and then had to rely on the tracklog, driving through cow paddocks following 2 wheel tracks in the ground.... As time went on my memory was slowly returning as I started remembering some of the scenery starting with what looked like and abandon House & Gate. after a bit of a chat with my copilot, it was decided that we would go through the gate and pass the herd of cows following what was suppose to be the track.... As time went on the track become more defined and we past through a couple of abandoned mining sites. We pushed on eventually coming out onto Black Snake Road. Turning left we cont'd along the track, passing the T/O to "Bridle 4WD Track", then push onwards hoping to find a little side track that we believed would be a shortcut to the Mt Mia lookout where we were hoping to have lunch.... Found the turnoff, but after driving down it a little bit it became obvious that it was more a Suzuki Track, so the decision was made to turn around and go the long way round.Reached the lookout to have lunch and a good look around at the fantastic scenery.... from here it was onto our next destination.... The old Mt Clara Smelter Chimney.

I had been told that access to this was blocked from the direction we were coming but so far so good.... The Road slowly descended and we managed to reach Rossmore Rd, turning left and following the road for a few 100mtrs to the Chimney. Had the usual look around and photos then we pushed onwards up the road to a valley that I remember was full of the Black Boy Trees..... was a bit disappointed when we got there as it wasn't quite what I remembered so, we turned around and headed out along Rossmore Rd, stopping into Rossmore (Kilkivan) caravan park for a look (not that impressed) and then out onto the Highway and back home via Gympie....

Distance covered for the Day: 496kms
Driving Time: 8hrs
Avg Driving Time:62kms/hr

Photos located here: Moore-Linville-Kilkivan (Chimney) Day-trip Photos
Tracklog located here:Moore-Linville-Kilkivan (Chimney) Day-trip Triplog

Here's some pics of the days adventure:
Brisbane River Xings

The 4WD Track we had done on a previous Explore Run....
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 19:59

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 19:59
Our shortcut Track to the Mt Mia lookout came to a halt.... if only I had my Zook instead....

The lookout

Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 517360

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 19:59

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 19:59
More of the lookout:

Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 517361

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:00

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:00
The Chimney

Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 517362

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:00

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 20:00

Then there's these funny looking animals that u rarely come across here in the SEQ:

Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 517363

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 16:52

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 16:52
That looks like a good run with some beautiful scenery!
I might pop up that way with the missus for a look in a couple of weeks, any good caravan camp grounds nearby you know of?

Cheers
Wayne
AnswerID: 517416

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 21:40

Saturday, Aug 31, 2013 at 21:40
There's the Kilkivan Caravan/Campgrounds just down the road on Rossmore Rd. There was a few Vans there when we drove past

cheers....

Rob
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 797064

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 07:17

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 07:17
Thanks Rob.
FollowupID: 797173