Suspension Comparo for a Bravo

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 01, 2013 at 19:09
ThreadID: 104146 Views:1958 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hey everyone,

i am upgrading my suspension on my 2005 mazda bravo. i am wanting to get about a 2inch lift kit put on it. just to give my wheels some more room for movement so they dont rub.

the rear is sagging on me and its time for an upgrade. atm i have a toolbox permantly mounted on the back which holds bout 50kg of stuff, the spare wheel and nothing else, its a steel tray. it only carries loads when i go away. at the front i have a steel bullbar and dual battery system and will be getting a winch.

currently i have ome shocks on and it looks like standard leaf springs. i am going to replace everything and start fresh.

i have looked around and have had different quotes but cant decide who to go for. all these prices include grease able shackles. they dont include fitment.

ideally i want something that will be comfortable on the road and also comfortable and capable off road. is it worth paying more for OME or are dobinsons just as good.

dobinsons - $1350
tjm - $1700
ome - $1650
tough dog - $1540 with foam cell
ironman - $1430 with foam cell

would be good to hear what you guys recommend.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 06:35

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 06:35
Any of these brands will be good.

QUOTE "ideally i want something that will be comfortable on the road and also comfortable and capable off road. is it worth paying more for OME or are dobinsons just as good"

Hard to have everything...... it all depends what you call comfortable and capable.

Every 4x4 I have owned with a lift kit I have noticed a difference but I would not say they were uncomfortable.
AnswerID: 517499

Follow Up By: Member - Max H - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 07:03

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 07:03
i just dont want to get something that looks good, is good offroad but feels crap around town.

i think i might go for the dobinsons because they are so much cheaper then everyone else. i just havnt heard too much about them. ive heard of people you say their springs are great but they use different brands for their shocks.

FollowupID: 797171

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:38

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:38
What you have to understand is most 4x4ers are an odd bunch, most will tell you what they use is the best (they haven't tried the rest), they know everything (even if the have no idea) and are experts on anything ever made, sold, or thought of and even stuff not invented yet (all with little experience).

Most suffer from "illusion of knowledge".

Any of the suspension brands you have mentioned will give you many years of happy 4wdriving.

There are some better than others BUT you pay for it and may not offer you any real benefit.

All suspension places will tell you there gear is the best available and so much better the brand X.

We have Lovell suspension fitted to out 200 series, have used OME and have friends who use Iron Man and King..... all with good results.

With shockers there are premium brands like Bilstein, Koni and a few other race oriented brands..... yes you will notice a big difference over cheaper shockers but is it going to be a benefit to you.

If you want some really good ones have a look at Pro Flex..... expect $10,000+ per corner.
FollowupID: 797190

Reply By: Wolfy03 - Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 23:28

Monday, Sep 02, 2013 at 23:28
Hey there have you considered saxsuspension? I have recently put the whole kit in a d40 Nissan Navara that is used as a dual purpose vehicle I.e. work, rest and play. I'm very happy with the set up and it enables me to adjust the rear leaf springs according to the weight on the back. I have a gitsham service body that I can remove at chosen time. This body carries roughly 500-600k on any given day. The range I have on the springs can range from 0-800k which can be varied by adjusting the pins on the leaf springs.

Their service was also fantastic and also they have helped my local mechanic when fitting was carried out.

If you have any more questions let me know.
AnswerID: 517555

Reply By: Member - Max H - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 19:12

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 19:12
i have talked to the guys at fouplay 4x4, and they have given me a good deal on the ironman performance setup with foam cell shocks. also going to get a new bullbar off them as well. great service so far. just gotta wait a couple of weeks to get my winch and then ill be going to them to get it fitted!!
AnswerID: 517586

Sponsored Links