I'm sort of siding with the croc on this one ....

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:56
ThreadID: 104169 Views:2771 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 14:16

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 14:16
Certainly an adventure, and perhaps an ill prepared one.

But it sure beats the hell out of hooking up the mobile home, packing the bread maker and the cappuccino machine and 'exploring' the Kimberleys.......

Ahh......to see the big and wild wide world from a caravan park.
AnswerID: 517575

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:16

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:16
Nearly another Darwin award to help the gene pool
FollowupID: 797285

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:25

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:25
Ha!

Spot on J & R. I think they are both probably laughing at us. Only thing I would miss up there would be the media coverage of the election.

:)
FollowupID: 797286

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:27

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:27
I reckon if I was Don McLeod, I'd be pretty cheesed off. However, I'm sure we've all experienced it - rescuing some clown who has decided to head out into the wilderness like Bear Grylls - but with inadequate preparation and inadequate knowledge of what to expect.

Typically - the blokes you find stranded in the Outback with only one spare, virtually no water, and no idea of the heat they can encounter, even on an average day.

Working around the W.A. Goldfields we'd come across them continually. Setting out on a "bit of exploration" - with no supplies, a 10 yr old road map, and an ancient vehicle.

I've found a bloke with a busted motorbike parked by the side of the Coolgardie-Norseman road on a late Winters afternoon. After checking to see if he was O.K., and finding out his mate had "gone on for help", I noticed he was freezing his nuts off, and shivering.
He was sucking on a cigarette, so I said, "why don't you light a fire?".
"I couldn't find any wood", he replies (insert "roll-eyes" symbol here).

Jesus wept - he was surrounded by enough fallen timber to supply a pumping station boiler for months - and he had petrol in the bike and a ciggy lighter as well (and if he didn't have a ciggy lighter, he's got a magneto and spark plug wire). I left him to freeze - some people don't deserve help.

Another time, the brother is driving back from Norseman in our old Inter 6 wheel tipper. He sees a bloke wheeling a wheel along the road - with no car in sight. He picks him up. The bloke hoists the wheel on board - the tyre's down to about the 4th layer of plies.
He says to the brother - "Is there any tyre shops up ahead? I need to get this tyre fixed".
The brother says, "Kambalda is the nearest tyre shop - but you need more than a tyre fix. mate - you need a new tyre!"

"Oh, I was hoping to get it fixed - for nothing", says the hiker. "You see, me and my 3 mates haven't got any money! - we left Sydney 4 weeks ago in an old Humber - with just a dollar between us!
Geez, people have been SO nice to us all along the way! They've given us meals, given us fuel, and fixed the car - all for nothing!"

The brother dropped him off at the mine entrance with another 40 cliks to go to Kambalda and wished him luck. We discussed how many dropkicks like this mob travel around the country, all utilising the good-heartedness of ordinary people to survive.

We discussed how, if you had a servo or a business, you'd give them a feed or a few litres of fuel to get rid of them, before they ended up stealing something.

It's like fire extinguishers and snatch straps - you usually end up emptying your extinguisher on some other clowns fire (and they never offer to refill it) - and you usually damage your snatch strap pulling some clown out of some stupid position, any sensible-thinking person would never have got into (the last time, I had to pull a 5 tonne Budget van-body truck out of a roadside drain, after he tried to turn around by backing off the shoulder into the drain - and the rear of the truck body bottomed out on the dirt on the far side. He was stuck at 90 deg to the Hwy with the front wheels in the middle of the bitumen).

This dumb Kiwi should at the very least, buy Don a 200 litre drum of fuel.
The fact that he wanted off the island without grabbing his gear - then wanted Don to go back and pick it all up, is typical of these clowns thought processes.

I'll wager Don will never see or hear from again, and the Kiwi will soon be off on his next "great adventure" - hoping someone else will put themselves out, to rescue him once again.
I'll wager this clown will now make a motza giving paid media interviews, and becoming a media hit worldwide - but he'd never send any money to Don to compensate him for his rescue efforts (insert bang-head-on-wall symbol here).
AnswerID: 517579

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 18:51

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 18:51
Ron,

You are a hero but, you should should stick to rescuing idiots in the outback rather than making an idiot of yourself on the Internet.

If you do have anything worthwhile to say, it's disguised in biggotary.
FollowupID: 797288

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 20:06

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 20:06
Is all that for real or are you just looking for a bite?
FollowupID: 797297

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 21:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 21:00
Hey Skull - Was it "dumb Kiwi" that got you fuming - because of your Kiwi ancestry??
Does this mean you're not voting for Bob Katter, either? [;-)
Geez, at least I didn't call him a dumb, dope-smoking, $hit-for-brains, Kiwi! [:-0

You'll have to do better baiting than that. I've got a hide like a croc, and better men than you, have called me worse things than a bigot.

If bigotry extends to giving short shrift to people who expect others to go to great expense and personal risk, to save them from their own stupidity - well, I guess that makes me a total and complete bigot!
I think I'll get a BIGOT badge made up, and wear it along with my other medals!

P.S. - Before Mfewster beats me - it's spelt bigotry! [;-)
FollowupID: 797305

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 21:51

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 21:51
Ron.
Sorry about the spelling.
FollowupID: 797310

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:37

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 17:37
I think this article is more reflective of general opinion;

You bloody idiot

Sage words from a long time EO member and one who knows the perils of the Kimberley area all too well.

I'm also very upset that they're describing him as Victorian. He's from across the ditch. God if he wanted social isolation and solitude, he could have moved to the Gold Coast lol

;-)

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517580

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 20:13

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2013 at 20:13
It all sounds a bit sus too???
The way I read it he was heading to the main land because he was low on supplies.......but the croc held him up for two weeks.
If he survived another two weeks without supplies it doesn't sound like he was too desperate for them in the first place, does it?
FollowupID: 797298

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 15:21

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2013 at 15:21
Would have been a travesty of justice if they'd shot the croc just because it ate him ....

Bit like blaming the Lion because you stuck your arm in the cage or the Parrot that bit your finger...
AnswerID: 517619

Sponsored Links