Places along the Birdsville Track

Still doing research for next year's trip and following the map down the Birdsville Track a couple of places look like worth a look at but I can't find anything recent about them.

1. Koonchera Waterhole and Dune - which Station controls access and is it worth the hassle of seeking access? Also if you have some photos can you add them into your reply?

2. The Inside Track - is it worth the drive scenery wise in comparison to the normal Outside Track?

3.Killalpaninna Mission ruins - are they worth the 36km return trip to look at? Again can't find any recent photos of the ruins. I've got the contact details for Etadunna Stn that controls access into the Mission.

4. Scenery wise is it better to go down to Farina and then head west via the station track to Andamooka & then Roxby Downs or go via the Oodnadatta Track from Marree to Bopeechee and then down the Borefield Road?

As we're travelling from Perth and only have 3 weeks up our sleeves we would like to see as much as we can in th elimited time available to us. Yes we all know that you could spend a lifetime in that area and still only scratch the surface but we're stuck withthe time we've got and there is always another time (we hope).

Thanks & cheers

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 16:45

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 16:45
Hi Dunc,

There have been conflicting reports about whether the Mulgaria Track that goes west from Farina to Andamooka is still open. We drove it a couple of years ago (2 days) and found one section badly washed out. The country along that track has a very remote feel to it, though its not so different to what you would see going west from Marree. Farina is a great spot to camp though.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 517686

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 18:06

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 18:06
Thanks Val, stumbled across your blog about that trip and looked interesting.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797401

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 18:28

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 18:28
The inside track has been closed for the last 3 years that I have been out there but I am heading back out in a couple of weeks and plan on doing it.
I have been told the inside track is more scenic and you are closer to the dunes
AnswerID: 517690

Follow Up By: Dough Boy - Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 21:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2013 at 21:00
We were up there in mid July and the inside track had recently opened along with the Warburton Track and Walkers Crossing rd to Innamincka . The Inside track looks exactly the same as the outside track, if your pushed for time take the inside as its a few ks shorter

Cheers
DB
FollowupID: 797418

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 00:43

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 00:43
Thanks for the replies guys and the info. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797436

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 22:04

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 22:04
I came down the Inside Track [with 50 Motor Homes] about 4 weeks ago Open for 4WD only but the Ranger said it was in better condition than the outside track [plus 40k shorter] we all survived one 2WD Hi Ace got bogged [Bull Dust] but was pulled out OK. One vehicle was a 1976 Volvo tourist Bus [with the room downstairs at the back], which after reaching Port Augusta was heading across the GCR to Leonora WA [had done it before].

PeterH
FollowupID: 797484

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 06:44

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 06:44
3. Killalpaninna Mission ruins - are they worth the 36km return trip to look at?

In our view, yes. Interesting country and still a lot of relics to see.
The station has a mud map and some information.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 517711

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 12:01

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 12:01
Thanks Peter. Looks like we will have to add it to the list of things to look at then.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797458

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 20:24

Friday, Sep 06, 2013 at 20:24
Hi Dunc

The Birdsville Track is a great drive and we have driven it a good number of times.

Allow at least 2 days to do the drive, but we have also taken longer, and when pushed for time, have driven it in 1 day

My Blog details below will give you an idea on what there is to see along the way....

What is there to see along the Birdsville Track?

Cheers

Stephen

ps

can you please send me your phone number again...I have lost it and would like to speak to you about your email to me.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 517754

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Sep 07, 2013 at 11:34

Saturday, Sep 07, 2013 at 11:34
Hi Stephen, thanks for the info. I've MM'd you my numbers.

Cheers

D
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797500

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:21

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:21
We found Stephen's blog very useful when we planned our B/ville - Maree leg last year. We gave it a day and a half and would happily do it again.

There's a wetland and bore-fed pool (and pub!) at Mungerannie with lots of birdlife that's worth an overnighter.

At the south end the bore-fed spa at Clayton Station is really well done and worth a look if not a camp.
FollowupID: 797636

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:22

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:22
We found Stephen's blog very useful when we planned our B/ville - Maree leg last year. We gave it a day and a half and would happily do it again.

There's a wetland and bore-fed pool (and pub!) at Mungerannie with lots of birdlife that's worth an overnighter.

At the south end the bore-fed spa at Clayton Station is really well done and worth a look if not a camp.
FollowupID: 797637

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 19:24

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 19:24
Thanks for the info Sigmund and agree with you Stephen's Blog is very infomative.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 797648

Sponsored Links