Water level indicator fitting

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 08, 2013 at 13:50
ThreadID: 104236 Views:1541 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am fitting an indicator and have just looked at the location on the water tank
the closest side has filling point, connection to second tank and breather.
Can anyone tell me if there are any protrusions inside the tank which may interfere with the indicator.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:50

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 16:50
Hi Grey Nomad 1947,

While it is difficult to say without knowing the exact tank you are talking about, even then it would be a guess, may I suggest that you check out Jaycar as some time back they had an endoscope which merely plugged into the USB port on a computer and enables a view of some very difficult to get at places. I have used one to see inside a radiator where we could not get our heads above it to see inside. Endoscope worked a treat and was not overly expensive as I recall. I finished up buying 2 in fact.

Generally I would say there is nothing which should interfere with your indicator but I cannot be sure, I guess you are referring to one of those arm types as opposed to the 3 or 4 probe types which insert into the side of the tank at three different points to register tank fluid level.

I would suggest that you could drill the hole and insert the arm and move it around to see if there was an obstruction. Once the hole is drilled it is a little late to change your mind though. I would suggest you pick an area away from the inlets and vents.

Fitting to the side of the tank or on the rear would protect the connections from stone abrasion somewhat if the tank is located on the underside of whatever (van/trailer) it is fitted to.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 517875

Follow Up By: greynomad1947 - Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:08

Monday, Sep 09, 2013 at 17:08
Bruce,
Thanks for that. I thought the alternative of the back of the tank, and that would be ok on the front tank, but I am not sure of the rear tank. the endoscope might be the answer providing its not too expensive.
Thanks
FollowupID: 797634

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 00:07

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013 at 00:07
If its a poly tank then there's not much chance of protrusions as it makes it much harder to mold.

I've fitted senders to two different styles of tank and neither had any ribbing inside.
Sorry no idea what brands but one was 12mm thick and the other about 6mm
FollowupID: 797706

Sponsored Links