Towing Mirrors - Aussie Truck, Camec, Dometic or other suggestions

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 15:45
ThreadID: 104292 Views:9221 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Our CT is finally now ready and the time has come to get a pair of towing mirrors. I know clearview are highly recommended, however they are a tad over budget by a few hundred dollars and then a couple of cents.
We need them to fit on a Nissan Patrol GQ (which I’ve heard clearview don’t do just yet). The ones were looking at are:

Aussie Truck

Camec Clip-on towing mirrors - http://camec.com/Index.php/clip-on-towing-mirror.html

Dometic towing mirrors - http://www.dometicrvcentre.com.au/onlinestore1/milenco-mirrors/milenco-mirror-grand-aero-pair

The hubby doesn’t like the idea of the strap with the Aussie Truck mirrors, though I’ve seen good reviews. He prefers the clip on mirrors, and likes the Dometic mirrors, however I have just found the Camec mirrors, which actually look slightly more secure and are $100.00 cheaper.

Does anyone have any reviews on the above towing mirrors or can suggest another option (other than clearview).

Thanks Guys, all replies are appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 16:14

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 16:14
Hi Exilebean

I had my tow mirrors "borrowed" of my Cruiser while away on holiday. In desperation due to it being a long weekend in WA (double demerit points) I went to a caravan store in Albany and bought a pair of these Strap on mirrors.

Honestly they a so good I haven't bothered to replace them. Best news is they are $25 each and you can get spares. No hassles with them coming loose - no issues with vibration distorting the image - good clear image in mirror.

Worth a look for the price

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 518002

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 16:33

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 16:33
I found that with clip-on or strap on mirrors on my 120 Prado wind pressure above about 90kph would fold them back. And so would the gust from a passing truck. PITA for me.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518003

Reply By: steamfire01 - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:55

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:55
exilebean
you can't go past Milenco mirrors. I have them on my Patrol for this lap and I have rarely taken them off, been up and over the top, now in Adelaide (bloody freezing and wet by the way !)
They are streamlined / aerodynamic so no problems with them folding back. They attach to the mirror with clips that bear on the inside of the mirror body and just don't move.
This trip we did part of the Gibb and the corrugations didn't bother them either. The clearview are probably the best, but at about $700 out of my price range - they are also a bit too big in my opinion.
I don't know who stocks Milenco , you'll find them on the web. I bought mine from the Jayco dealer in Coffs Harbour
Stay safe out there.
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 518010

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:58

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:58
I've been using these Enzo Magnetics for nearly 5 years ..........
I haven't used other types but I would buy these again without hesitation - they don't move, easy to adjust, stable etc. I just wash the door and the magnetic pads with soapy water prior to slapping them on - they hold their adjustment reliably between uses if you stow them carefully.
AnswerID: 518014

Reply By: GrumpyOldFart - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:25

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:25
I second the Milenco mirrors, fantastic on my 105 Cruiser and GU Patrol ute.
But I don't think they will suit a GQ Patrol, they need a gap between the mirror glass and the mirror housing for the clamps to fit in.

You may be able to extend your current mirrors with a bit of fiddling and aluminium bar.

Dru
Remember
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518018

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 16:32

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 16:32
X 3 for Milenco Mirrors. As long as you have a ledge between the mirror glass and the edge of your mirror head, they fit ok. Keep the thumb screws tight. Beats extra arms, straps etc, etc. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 518539

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 14:15

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 14:15
These are easily the best I have ever used and you adjust them with your normal electric mirror controls.

I do not sell them.

http://www.caravanandrvworld.com.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=6902585&A=SearchResult&SearchID=13694267&ObjectID=6902585&ObjectType=27
AnswerID: 518639

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 15:16

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 15:16
Just wondering if you have tried towing your CT (Camper Trailer I presume) with the standard mirror setup on the GQ Patrol. Don't know what sort of CT you got but I doubt if it would be wider than wheel track of of the Patrol.

Our CT is set up with the same wheel track as our LC and we have no problems just using the standard mirrors.
AnswerID: 518642

Follow Up By: exilebean - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 13:29

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 13:29
Hi Lyn,
Thank you for your reply. We have towed the trailer and found it near on impossible to see with the current GQ mirrors, which may result in a hefty fine if pulled over in some states. It’s a full off roader and very slightly wider than the patrol. It’s also sits quite high, so rear view mirror has pretty much become obsolete when towing.
FollowupID: 799633

Reply By: exilebean - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 13:24

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 13:24
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I decided to go with the Milenco mirrors, as the majority of you all hailed them as the ones to go for, however wanted to wait until I checked if the Milenco mirrors fitted on our GQ Patrol before I replied, as others may be interested to know. Having now seen the mirrors in the flesh so to speak I can quite safety say our mirrors on the GQ do not have enough of a lip to fit the mirrors. So back to the drawing board, as I am unsure of the suction ones.

Thanks again folks, any other suggests please let me know.
AnswerID: 519497

Sponsored Links