Alpine Country

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 16:53
ThreadID: 104294 Views:1655 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm considering doing a trip next March [2014]. 14 days.
Bairnsdale [Vic], Omeo, Tallangatta, Kiewa, Mt Beauty,Bright,Wangaratta, Albury [NSW], Bellbridge, Jingelli, Towong and finish at Khancoban.

Now are these roads tranversable with a 5th Wheeler?

PeterH
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hooks - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:41

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 17:41
Hi Peter,

I know this not an answer to your question, but what vehicle are you using to tow your 5th wheeler?
AnswerID: 518008

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:45

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 19:45
2012 Ford Ranger XLT
FollowupID: 797763

Reply By: Russ J - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:55

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 18:55
G'day Peter, just came over the road from , Bairnsdale to Tallangattta, there is 12km of unsealed road, but I'm told that the road wil lbe fully sealed in the new year, parts of the road are winding and narrow with some moderate steep pinches (you will climb to 4250 feet), Log trucks use these roads, if you can manouever ur rig similar to log truck you should be ok. You need to watch out for the loggers, but they are generally quite courteous. If ur rig is very high u might snag a few low branches, but the log trucks generally clean them up.
There are absolutely wonderfull camping sites on this road, "Jokers" "anglers Rest" "Lightning Creek" and many others.
Do not go past "The Blue Duck" pub, I would drive the 3hrs from Albury ( Home) just for one of their steaks, this trip is one of my favourite trips, after the Barry Way.

To answer your question, I'm a coach driver so what I see as easy you might not find so, but I would be happy to take a 5th wheeler thru there.

The rest of the trip you mentioned is quite good, some sections of the road are a little narrow, but very pleasant to travel and will not give you any trouble.

Hope this helps, regards Russ
AnswerID: 518013

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 20:50

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 20:50
That'd be the Omeo 'Highway'. The first such declared in Vic despite the fact that it's been dirt for most of its history!

That and the Bogong High Plains road are narrow as Russ said; doable but take it easy as you will meet oncoming traffic.

Also in March you may get the odd snowfall up that way. Get local advice before proceeding.

So you're ending the trip at Khancoban? I wish you joy of it.
FollowupID: 797893

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2013 at 21:00
You mentioned Mt Beauty; I don't know which way you wish to get there but years ago we drove from Omeo over the Bogong High Plains in a Kingswood towing a Chesney wind up. Dead easy drive but what surprised me was a sign at Falls Creek. Now we were told by a cop in Omeo which way to go and when I said we had a car and a van.Well the sign stated no trailers on the Bogong High Plains. Oops. Too late as we were coming down off the plains. Hmmm I just did a quick Google and couldn't find any warning. If going through Falls Creek give the locals at Falls Creek a call on: 03 5758 1202. Web site: http://www.fallscreek.com.au

We used to live up that way when I was 5. Best place to wag school if ever there was one. We even met some oldies who remembered Dads chemist shop in Beauty.

It would be the best way across the mountains. Absolutely perfect views.

Phil
AnswerID: 518026

Sponsored Links