Camper Trailer Suspension

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1043 Views:3563 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience on things to look for regards off road trailer suspension. Have had close looks at a number of the models at the shows and was interested in opinions. Why do they use a solid axle rather than a hollow square or round? Mainly interested in leaf spring type for cost and ease of repair if needed. Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00
Having had leaf, alco and independant coil with shocks on various trailers, I have to say without a doubt that independant coil/shock setups are best offroad. But having said that the biggest difference is made by the shocks. So if you choose to use leafs then I'd strongly suggest you consider adding shocks. A solid square axle would be stronger than other axle options. Where independant systems have an advantage is that they are more stable on bumpy roads and they don't have as much of the boat anchor effect when crossing sandy creeks.
AnswerID: 3192

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Echoing Nigels comments, Vic Widman from Great Divide Tours told me (in a group) that it is crucial that the trailer has shock absorbers, as of the lot, they seem to be the ones that make it. Regards Slunnie.
AnswerID: 3245

Reply By: Robert - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00
Rob,

I think you will find that they use solid round or square due to it being quicker and easier to make a axle this way, all it requires is placing the solid piece of rod in a lathe and turning down the stubs at either end.If the axle is to be made using hollow tube then the stubs have to be welded to a plate and then this plate plus stub welded to the hollow axle tube.
I myself had a trailer with a drop axle made this way, in regard to strength the hollow tube axle will have to be of a larger diameter than solid to have the same strength. I too was considering making a hollow axle but the weight of the hollow square tube needed would have been more than that of a solid axle so I didn't bother.
As to leaf versus independent suspension I suggest you have a look at the camper trailer forum - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/, both have negatives and postives but in the end it's just personal choice of what suits you best. For myself I went for leaf suspension.
AnswerID: 3308

Sponsored Links