De Grey River

Just hoped that the well informed people on here could clear this up. We spent a couple of nights camped over at the De Grey River on the GNH. Lovely spot we have to say. Had a swim in the river and the two dogs loved it as well. However in conversation with a couple of unconnected people, they are saying that there are salties in the river there. There were no warnings that we saw but one couple said that they'd been shown a photo of one sitting on the bank.
Anyone got any info? We are anxious to find out as we liked it so much there we were planning to stop in on the way back to.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:52

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:52
G'day Phill

I'm not too sure if I fit the "well informed people" category, but I will say you are a brave bloke ~ taking a swim in the DeGrey at the rest area, but to your credit you were possibly wise in swimming with your two dogs.

Just a few years back, an elderly gentleman, who was camped up at the DeGrey rest area, went missing, the Port Hedland Police, SES and national parks/wildlife people were mustered and searched for the old bloke for the better part of a week with no trace found, he's still missing to this day.

Yes the DeGrey river at the rest area has over the years been the domain of estuarine crocodiles amongst the occasional sharks that make their way up stream from the Indian Ocean, any watercourse and mangrove area should be viewed with great caution in respect of salties ~ all the way south to Carnarvon.

The warning signs, like most other bridge and roadside signage were possibly souvenired, this seems to be fairly common place these days.

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 518062

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 14:26

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 14:26
Thanks Joe. I guess we won't be going in again!!! I just would have thought it was too far south for the Crocs. Oh to be properly informed!!! LOL
FollowupID: 797798

Follow Up By: new boy - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 15:49

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 15:49
The sharks Joe mentioned would most likely be the Bull sharks as they like salt's can live in both fresh and salt water and have a reputation as bad as Great Whites.
We were there early July after the unseasonal rain and the you could see from the debris that the water had covered all the bottom area.
FollowupID: 797801

Follow Up By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 17:48

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 17:48
The real danger at De Grey (in the news this week)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-09/beer-swilling-swine/4946072

FollowupID: 797818

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 23:08

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 23:08
G'day Phill

I can only advise that you treat any coastal mangrove area and tidal creek with a great deal of care ~ even well south of Yardi Creek.

The Finucane boat ramp is in very close proximity to the major iron ore export terminals on Finucane Island, so there is 24/7 X 365 days of noise and activity, yet there are sightings of salties, lurking around the boat ramp, the Fortescue River and the Ashburton River tidal areas are also known habitats for crocs ~ both places are magnificent remote camping areas too.

You may be well beyond the DeGrey and Oakover River systems by now, but even Carawine Gorge on the Oakover river has been the domain of salt water species like the Swordfish, these and others come upstream if there has been a good amount of rain during the "wet season".

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 797842

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 01:49

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 01:49
"Oakover river has been the domain of salt water species like the Swordfish"
Joe, I think that may be a typo. Maybe you mean "sawfish"?
Swordfish are a deep ocean pelagic fish, rarely seen inside the continental shelf, let alone "upstream into freshwater runoff"!
FollowupID: 797902

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 15:50

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 15:50
Swum there myself.
Definitly potential if not overl likely to be an issue. Crocs while known as far as hedland are much scarcer than up nth
So no definitive answer.
AnswerID: 518076

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 17:50

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 17:50
Be very wary there and any watercourse above Exmouth and in the gulf to. After rains crocs will travel a long way and if they have to, will lay up until the next rains.
And don't leave your beer out at night at the De Grey as the wild boar will drink it all....or was that the 2 legged pigs reported as doing that?
AlanH.
FollowupID: 797820

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 21:06

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 21:06
Hi Alan. Yes we stayed two nights and saw evidence of the wild boar and the havoc he had reigned on the waste bins. It is good to know that all the info we were given by other travellers then, appears to have some foundation and now will be less sceptical when advised. Sometimes it is very hard to tell when someone is being serious, or just having a lend of you. When talking about life threatening animals such as crocs, I just wish they wouldn't sound like they were joking!!!
Thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 797833

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 08:45

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 08:45
haha, don't worry mate, it would've had just one taste and "Arsenal.....yuck" and spat you out. Might've found the dogs tasty though.

How did you go with that 2nd spare for the car?
FollowupID: 797851

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:01

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:01
I saw it last week and it was a large Sow.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797909

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 21:07

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 21:07
Hey Steve. How you going mate.Well we are currently doing the trip we both touched on over a year ago and possibly meeting up if you remember???? All I can say is look at the table, (league and not dinner) and if your Croc wants to taste a bit of the Arsenal, he'd be eating better than if he had to eat Man U butt..... LOL
Hope all is well mate and that you and the family are getting about.
FollowupID: 798312

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:09

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:09
"look at the table"?........... don't do that to me, I thought there was food in the offing :(

keep an eye out for a mm I'll be looking for a report, not least how the sightseeing went with doggies in tow.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and watch dem big lizards

cheers
stevo

FollowupID: 798335

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:16

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:16
I was going to do something as I went along Steve, but having too much fun so thought I'd do a more concise and short version when we get home. Have been a bit disappointed on the Lizard front. We've only seen two out in the wild and they were tiny freshies.
Hope all is well. Speak to ya soon.
FollowupID: 798336

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 19:39

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 19:39
A large croc was sighted and photographed in the De Grey in 2009.

The De Grey is the "official" territorial limit for crocs - but "official" doesn't mean much.

The crocs are slowly moving South, and are being found more often in the sea at Broome now.
One was caught at Cocos Island, some years ago, around 1100NM from Wyndham!
The Australian mainland was the only place this croc could have come from.

During heavy rains, crocs will often move upstream, and then become stranded in billabongs as the river dries up.
A croc will know you're there, long before you know he's there!

Always check with the local authorities as to the safety of any body of water, from the Pilbara Northwards - even one well upstream of the sea, and seemingly isolated.

http://dec.wa.gov.au/pdf/plants_animals/living_with_wildlife/crocodiles.pdf
AnswerID: 518085

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 21:35

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 21:35
It could have come from Sumatra, Cocos Island is a lot closer to Indonesia than it is to Oz and Salties are known to inhabit the Indonesian archipelago (just not in the same numbers and distribution as Australia)
FollowupID: 797838

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 21:28

Friday, Sep 13, 2013 at 21:28
The rangers in the NT will place a white foam float in the rivers to test for saltwater crocs. If there is one around they can't resist chewing on the float. If you ever see a white foam float tied up in the water it is a good indicator that someone thinks there is a saltwater croc in there. And if the float has been chewed then you know there definitely is one in there.

Either way if you can't see through the water - like so often up north the rivers are coffee colour then don't go near the water. At least if it is clear water and knee deep you could see a croc coming. Still didn't help that tourist in Kakadu a few years back. They swam in thigh deep crystal clear water - but at night. And there were definitely crocs at sandy billabong.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518093

Follow Up By: landseka - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 17:52

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 17:52
Crikey, I will be more careful in Mandurah Estuary from now on, there are heaps of foam floats there. Oh, hang on, they are crab net floats...ha ha
FollowupID: 797882

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 20:01

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 20:01
we stopped at De grey in 2010 and swam under the rail bridge, a fellow watched me my wife and our two sons walk past him say hello and spend a good two hours splashing and playing around,we did the same thing the next day before packing up and were even joined by another young family,as we walked past on the way back to our vans he thought it was the right time to tell us that a croc was sighted there only 6 months earlier when I asked him if he swims in there he laughed and said he has been going there for the last 30 yrs and witnessed crocs as well as the above mentioned bull sharks and he wouldn't be that stupid so I sarcastically thanked him for not warning us,at the end of the day we must all be accountable for our decisions but a little bit of friendly advice wouldn't hurt either?
FollowupID: 798051

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 21:12

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 21:12
Johny boy, I have to sympathize with your account. We too felt people mentioning it to us thought it was like `a joke'. I am really not happy now, after this feed back from our other guys on this forum, and the shire `non' notice warnings........ If there is a threat, people should be aware. Most people using this spot will be passers through, and therefore uninformed. Not really good enough I'd say.
FollowupID: 798315

Sponsored Links