Tyre deflates

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 18:42
ThreadID: 104323 Views:2802 Replies:13 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all, curious to hear thoughts on tyre deflates, what brands? are they worth the cash? we have a trip planned to head across to Perth, via Eyre peninsula, and back via south west corner of WA, be in and out of sand for 8 weeks.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Odog - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 18:49

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 18:49
Deflaters!!! Sorry all.
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518146

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 19:06

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 19:06
Stauns.
Have them preset, screw on, walk around for a few minutes, and your done.

Have a decent gauge and a good compressor too for the re-inflation.
AnswerID: 518147

Follow Up By: Odog - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 19:36

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 19:36
Cheers Andrew, stauns do seem to be the popular choice, a few different ones on eBay. Around $80 a set... Think they would definately be worth the money, making it less of a hassle and quicker. Thanks

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797888

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 20:36

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 20:36
I have both the Stauns and ARB Easy deflator....I always use the ARB deflator these days as my preference.
AnswerID: 518153

Follow Up By: Odog - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 20:46

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 20:46
Cheers rumpig, why do you prefer the arb deflator? Which does the job quicker? Which is the more accurate of the two? I'm full of questions... I spent 3 weeks around sw wa with my son, who is living in Perth. Driving his d40 navara, did quite a bit of deflate and reflate... Lol just looking for the most effective way and simplest way of doing it. Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797892

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 01:40

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 01:40
Odog,
I have both the Stauns and the ARB deflator and only use the ARB.
A couple of times using the Staun it has stuck and deflated the tire more than needed.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 797900

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 06:40

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 06:40
Pretty much what Dave has said above Odog... My Stauns have stuck on a few times and just kept deflating the tyre past their setting, so need to then reinflate the tyre. I also can never remember what pressure I had set them to deflate too also. The ARB unit is easier to deflate to different pressures where as the Stuans are set to one pressure only, unless you set 2 to one pressure then the other 2 to another. If you do that you need to remember which is which come time to use them and only having 2 set at a pressure means taking twice as long to deflate the tyres.
FollowupID: 797905

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:20

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:20
Stauns aren't very accurate unless you spend a lot of time setting them up.
I have both Stauns & the ARB deflator & to be honest I still often just use a twig.

FollowupID: 797910

Follow Up By: tg123 - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:02

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:02
Love the ARB thingy! Easy to use and means you can deflate to any pressure required rather than being locked in to a preset. Never used Stauns so can't comment.
Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 797917

Reply By: craig h7 - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 21:45

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 21:45
I've got an ARB ezy deflator and love it. Its quick and very handy as you can deflate your tyres to whatever you want. The pressure gauge is very accurate as well. I did have the stauns but prefer the ARB deflator, its much more versatile in my opinion.
AnswerID: 518157

Follow Up By: Odog - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 21:58

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 21:58
Thanks Craig, I will check them out, it's great to hear what people think, and prefer to use. Thanks for your comments. Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797895

Reply By: Candace S. - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 21:57

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 21:57
I have a set of the Trailhead deflators, as seen here (I think they are locally available in Oz too):
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Tank-THD-8150-TrailHead-Deflator/dp/B004M9L2KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379159612&sr=8-1&keywords=trailhead+tire+deflators

I recall one of the pitches for these is that you can drive with them installed on the valve stems, not sure why you would want to though!

I think you'll find Deflators are very nice if you expect to be airing up and down a lot. I wish I could find a way to speed up and semi-automate the re-inflating part, lol!
AnswerID: 518159

Follow Up By: Odog - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 22:21

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 22:21
Thanks Candace S. checked them out, don't think I'd like to leave them attached while driving, could be asking for trouble. Was at a 4x4 show years ago, jumped in a hummer, it had a system where you could deflate and reinflate as you were driving along.. Maybe need to up date the prado.. Lol.. Thanks for the info. Cheers. Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797896

Reply By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 23:46

Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 23:46
Hi Odog,

We sell the Trailheads in Australia.

http://www.airdevilaccessories.com.au/gallery/Accessories/trailhead-5-20-psi-automatic-tyre-deflators/245012

On the market there are a few different types.

The Genuine Stauns are good, the adjustment on the Stauns is via an adjustable ring on the outside, which can be inadvertently changed. The trailheads use an internal allen key to adjust, which is in my opinion a better system.

The Eze Deflator which is a gauge combined with a inline valve remover also do a great job.

Advantage of Staun / Trailhead is screw one on each tyre and in a couple of minutes all tyres are at aired down.

Disadvantage is that they are preset to a set pressure, so you either have all four set to the same pressure or say two at 20 and two at 10 PSI.

Advantage of the Eze Delfator types is you just need the one device to go to any pressure.

Also on the market is a deflator only (no gauge) called the ferret, also a very good unit.

Mae sure you have a reliable pump for pumping the tyres back up again.
AnswerID: 518161

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:26

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:26
I carry two sets of Stauns, one set to 24psi and another set to 18psi, they are the pressures that work for me.

with stauns it is imporatnt to keep them clean and lubricated.
I give them a spot of lanox spray up the spout. manually exercise the valve a couple of times a then do a little deflation to blow out the excess.

They are a bit of a fiddle to set accurately bit if you have the locking ring snugged up properlywell they do not shift and they can not be changed inadvertently.

When mine where new and I was trying to set them up the first time..yes there where accuracy and overshoot problems..but as soon as I gave em a bit of lube that problem ceased.

the other thing is if they has sat unused for an extended period of time.....expect them to be inaccurate....they have sat there with the valves jammed shut in the glove box for 6 months...what do you expect.
Before you go on a trip get em out and put en thru a couple of cycles.

The thing about the stauns is speed.

If I am airing down from highway.....I fit one after another, by the time a get around to the first wheel, I don't have long to wait...... I can go around a take them off and put the caps on.

If one seems to be taking more or less time than the other 3 it will be obvious that there is an issue.

Serioulsy the manual deflators can not compete with that..and you don't have to squat down any longer than to unscrew the cap and screw on the staun.

The other concern I have about the manual deflators is that you are removing and refitting the shrader valve from the tyre every time you make an adjustment.

These valves and their seals are not intended to be repeatedly removed and refitted, and every time you use one you run the risk of either not correctly tightening the valve or having a seal failure.

cheers
AnswerID: 518174

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:34

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:34
hi bantam
I have to agree with you about the concerns of repeatedly removing the Schrader valves and reseating them
they weren't designed for that and will only lead to risks of tyre failure when it is least expected
I have had a set of staun deflaters for a few years now and they haven't failed and have found them easy to use and reset the required pressures
like said just colour code them if they have different pressure settings surely
I didn't pay outright for mine
no I didn't steal them
they came as a 4x4 magazine annual subscription bonus of $90 at the time i'm a happy user
and also don't get the impatience of how urgent it is for 4wders to get the air out of their tyres the only exception here is if your in a rally or comp drive then time is essence
it seems like a few minutes hold-up is a life time to a lot of you
take it easy and have a casual break
its no wonder every second person is so stressed out
i'm sure some of you would complain about the time it takes to break wind ??
cheers
FollowupID: 797925

Follow Up By: Odog - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:53

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:53
Thank you guys, I can see the points you make are very real, and agree with the lube idea and also about having the valve core repeatedly removed and retightend. I think I will go with the staun.. Quite a few cheaper ones around, but think you always get what ya pay for... Cheers. Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797926

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:05

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 13:05
Yep and a mee too on the colour coding.

One set in red one set in blue.

If ya travel with a few people......ya all stop to air down...those using stauns stand around talking while they wait for the others.

cheers
FollowupID: 797929

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:03

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 11:03
I too have 2 sets of the Stauns set to 28 & 18 and marked with blue dot and red dot respectively. Only once did I notice an over deflation of one tyre.
Might add some lanox lubricant to my "kit".

On a whim, I bought an ARB deflator and have tried it out. Frankly, I found it to be a bit of a pain to use. You need to unscrew the internal tyre valve to deflate, then screw up again once the required pressure is displayed.

With the Stauns, I walk around the car screwing the deflators onto each wheel, then pulling the stem and usually, by the time I have done the fourth one, the first has reached the preset pressure, at least with the 28psi setting.
Much quicker than the ARB deflator.

The only pain I have at present is with the external TPMS sensors with locking ring.
I think I'm going to change to an internal sensor system.
Anyone care to talk me out of it:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518180

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:26

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:26
Odog,
I have a set of Stauns and an ARB (present). I actually tend to just use the tyre hose and guage which lives under the drivers seat. I don't plug it into the compressor and it has a deflator built in by just pushing the trigger the opposite way. I am trying to reduce the number of 'things' I carry and rarely need.
cheers
AnswerID: 518186

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:50

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:50
Hi Odog,
We use a "Ferret", available from a guy who sells them on E-bay. Last I saw they were around the $30.00 mark.

Simple to use,
Screw it onto the valve stem
Undo the valve - it is held in the ferret tube
One pound per second deflate - use a kitchen timer
Re-tighten the valve
Unscrew the Ferret from the valve stem.
Done.

A good gauge will set you back around $17.00, electronic kitchen timer around $5.00
The timer can also be used when re-inflating your tyres.
I ran a course yesterday where a person had two of the ARB Deflators and one of them didn't work properly. The other issue that I have with the ARB unit, you can't "just check tyre pressure" without removing the valve.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 518188

Reply By: Sandman - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:05

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 19:05
ARB deflater.......just so easy. Thought about getting staun deflators, keep getting notification from supercheap that they are on special but I cant bring myself to spend more money on something that already works well...
AnswerID: 518207

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 21:07

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 21:07
I pull the valve out count to about 22 seconds put the valve in and adjust to 18psi for the beach doesn't take very long haven't dropped a valve yet but I carry spares in case. Never had trouble with a valve leaking from use or problems with the thread and I use to go fishing or surfing at the beach at least 4 times a month sometimes more don't over tighten them and you get new valves when you buy new tyres any way so you'd be unlucky if the o-ring wore out in that time.
AnswerID: 518214

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:17

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:17
I use a tyre pressure gauge with a deflator button on it. It's quick, easy and accurate.

The beauty of the one I have is that it attaches to the valve with a lock on clamp and has a flexi hose so it is always easy to read while in place. It also has a valve on it so that I can clamp my compressor hose to the gauge. It works like an inline pressure gauge so I can monitor tyre pressure while inflating too.

I baught it at Ballard's Off Road, a motorcycle shop at Penrith NSW. Just had a quick look at their site but could not find it.

Probably not as quick as the ARB or Stauns but it is so easy.

Duncs
AnswerID: 518263

Sponsored Links