Great Ocean Rd -- Old Ocean Rd Detour?

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 14, 2013 at 22:03
ThreadID: 104324 Views:2029 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there

We're travelling the GOR in the Sept/Oct school holidays. Looking at the route from Lorne to Port Campbell, I've noticed an interesting detour via the Old Ocean Rd. It starts from around 12km east of Princetown and ends at Princetown. Looks like a dirt road the whole way.

Is it worthwhile route to take? We won't be pressed for time as we're travelling from Lorne to Port Campbell in a day. 4 4WDs plus camper trailers.

Thanks.,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Granty55 - Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:14

Sunday, Sep 15, 2013 at 09:14
G'day Bockstar1, We found this little detour on our way back from Warrnambool earlier this year, it follows the river flood plain that is utilised by dairy farms, it's a good gravel/dirt road narrow in places, I would guess it is used by milk tankers that service the local farms so your group will have no troubles with it. There are patches of bush that the track passes through and it does give you an idea of what the original Great Ocean Road between Apollo Bay and Princetown was like before it was sealed.
Enjoy this wonderful part of Victoria, there is so much to see down there in the Otways.
Ron
AnswerID: 518169

Reply By: MadCowz-lifemember (VIC) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:57

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:57
Another road which is kind of parallel to the old ocean road is the old coach road. It goes from the Moonlight head road to Princetown through scrub. I think a lot of the scrub might've been cut back.
It is a 4wd track with some holes and ruts and a bit of soft sand at the Princetown end, it would be easier if there hasn't been rain for a little while. I think parks might've done some work on the track, I'm not sure, either way one of my workers still managed to get bogged there a few months back......

Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518227

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:17

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:17
Drove through there in April with a trailer. Good road through dairy country and some bush.
Narrow in places but worth it to get away from the main road.

Another detour worth looking at is the trip into Johanna Beach. Loop road all sealed leading to a good beach with a camping area - even a tennis court!

Michael O
AnswerID: 518257

Sponsored Links