Hitch hickers

Submitted: Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:03
ThreadID: 104340 Views:3140 Replies:23 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am looking for a general opinion about whether to pick up hitch hickers or not.
I do not care about skin colour, religion or nationallity but I do care about my safety as I will be doing the big lap 2014 by myself.
I thank all thoughs who post an opinion in advance.
Regards
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:56

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:56
It would be nice to have have somebody to talk on your travels but, just be very very careful.

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 518226

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 09:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 09:00
Dave

For non remote areas:
I used to, quite often, on my many Sydney to/from trips to Melbourne. That was before 1980. Have not since and wont. On purely a safety issue.

In remote areas:
It is on a case by case thing. Very hard question to answer in that case. Maybe if they were broken down I would call for some help to come and get them and either wait for help to arive or leave them with their car (with water is needed).

But still very much safety conscious especially if I have my wife or company with me.

I will also be interested in what others say.

Absolutely not if they have been drinking. No way. And that's not an anti drink thing. Continue and call the local constabulary from just down the road and out of sight in case the rest are hiding in the bush. Heard of that happening.

None of the above is affected by race or skin colour. Just playing it safe. Isn't horrible how we, well me, if that's what you want, have become. I used to enjoy the company. Oh well!

Phil
AnswerID: 518228

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 09:19

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 09:19
Pretty much x 2, Phil. Though I have made it easier to say "No" because I have removed 2nd and 3rd row seats from the Prado, so there's no room for them.

That didn't stop one hopeful on Fraser's beach highway, when we stopped to see if he was ok, seriously suggesting he get up on the roof. The roof, that is. No basket or rack, just a couple of rails. As if!

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 797987

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:01

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:01
I picked up a guy when the temp was in the high 30's. felt sorry for him.

Won't do it again.....he stunk due from the heat.

Brett....
AnswerID: 518229

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:28

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:28
X 2! Took a bloke from Katherine to Timber Ck one night, back in the early '70's. Good fellar, but been a long time between showers, I'd say. Was nice to keep the windows down and get plenty of fresh air.

Back to topic, don't think I'd pick up anyone these days, for many of reasons that Phil stated.Well, if she was blonde.......maybe :-)

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 797995

Reply By: Albany Nomads - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:22

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:22
Not unless they have an " ExplorOz" sticker stuck to their forehead :-)
AnswerID: 518231

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:34

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:34
HAHAHAHA! :)
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798067

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:25

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:25
Only in remote areas if they need help or someone hitching a ride who has a broken down vehicle but the regular hitch hiker travelling around the country I'd say no because most are just taking advantage of peoples generosity to bludge a ride from so they can travel around the country for free so they can spend their money partying eg; backpackers.
AnswerID: 518232

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 14:06

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 14:06
Anything wrong with that?

People hitch for many reasons. Back in the day I used to cadge rides to get around because I couldn't afford a car and sharing the cost of petrol was a good trade off.

I gave a young woman a lift as far as I could down the Stuart Hwy some years ago. She was trying to get back to Broken Hill from Alice and she'd been dumped at Kulgera by a truckie, apparently because she wasn't cooperative enough. The problem with picking up hitch hikers or actually hitch hiking yourself now is well-documented but I'd do the same again in similar circumstances any time.

We have a history of itinerant travellers in this country dating right back to the good old days of "colonial" Australia when swagees were always given tea, flour, sugar when they turned up on people's doorsteps. My how times have changed.
FollowupID: 798016

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 19:37

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 19:37
Not sure what you mean by anything wrong with that. And people hitch for many reasons "REALLY' well blow me down.
FollowupID: 798378

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 14:03

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 14:03
Taking advantage? Some might feel that way. Do I feel I am taking advantage? I am a veteran hitch hiker. The answer is No.

I hitch because there are times when I have no other way of getting around, particularly in the Outback I love so much. How would I have seen the Canning Stock Route had I not hitched? Twice. Walk it?

I have made many friends through hitching, some of whom I am still in contact with today. They have inspired me and I believe, on occasion, I have returned the favour.

Hitching is about win-win. If you don't belive in win-win situations, picking up a hitch hiker is not for you. Many of the people who give me lifts are on long drives, struggling to stay awake. I see my part as entertaining them - talking or listening to their story.

Years later, I am often asked to house sit when my lifts, who are now friends, go on holiday. I take care of their houses, their gardens and their animals. It is always about win-win for me.

FollowupID: 798596

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:26

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:26
Check out thread 101234
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518233

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:26

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:26
Gday Robin
I was looking for your "hitch hiker" entry .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 797999

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:40

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:40
Maybe look at it from the other point of view. How safe would you feel if you and maybe your wife were broken down and needed a lift. Would you carefully check out the occupants of the car that stopped for you?

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 518235

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:59

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:59
Depends on where and when , out our way if you see a vehicle on the side of the road we slow right down to see if they are in need of assistance ,we don't actually get / see many hitch hikers nowadays..
AnswerID: 518236

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:15

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:15
Usually pick them up. Good Samaritan at heart.

Never stop for grey nomads. Old, smelly, talkative.
AnswerID: 518237

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:55

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:55
Gday,
Hich Hikers......I wouldn't normally pick them up. I have when Ive got talking to them in the pub or something and they seemed alright, but pulling over for someone standing on the road you have no idea about isn't something I would do. A lot of the ones I see are ferals who would rather spend their dole check on pot and 2 minute noodles than fuel....I don't like the idea of funding their holiday around Aus or moving them to the next social security office....LOL
Yes I know there not all bludgers but there is something about dirty dread locks, men wearing bloody dresses and no shirts that doesnt tempt me to pull over......

People broken down........Normally.....unless its a car load of drunken blackfellas or something really didn't look right about the situation.

Just asses the risk and make your own judgment at the time....not a rule to pick them up , or don't.

Cheers
AnswerID: 518239

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:16

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:16
Methinks there is a big difference between Hitch Hiking and someone in genuine need of a lift , times have changed and movies such as 'Wolf Creek' certainly put the wind up what was a right of passage before every household had 2+ cars in the driveway.....
FollowupID: 798031

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:29

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:29
absolutely.....
FollowupID: 798033

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 13:07

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 13:07
i was surprised to to see that very few hitchhikers when i moved to broken Hill we often travel to Mildura or Wagga Wagga and Adelaide and have not seen any times have changed a lot many trucking companies ban the drivers picking up hitchhikers

I am sure there are some out there but nothing like 40 50 years ago times are changing
AnswerID: 518240

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 14:53

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 14:53
I've picked up my share of backpackers - haven't seen any for ages though. Worst was a pair of yanks who proceeded to tell me how utterly crap my cortina was? Didn't end well for them.

Just be aware that hitchhiking and stopping them up is actually an offence.....
AnswerID: 518243

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:21

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:21
what is "stopping them up"?
Is hitch hiking an offence? In which state?
FollowupID: 798058

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 05:16

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 05:16
Ha! Auto correct - 'Picking them up' is what I meant.
I had to look up the rules it's been that long, but it is illegal to hitch in QLD and VIC. The police only have a 'verge obstruction' law to use but they do use it. Living in Hervey Bay in the 70's and 80's I saw the local bobby rounding up hitchers quite regularly.
FollowupID: 798062

Follow Up By: brad1972 - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:08

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 17:08
Depends were you stand in NSW.
Australian Road Rules

236 Pedestrians not to cause a traffic hazard or obstruction

(4) A pedestrian must not stand on, or move onto, a road--

(b) to hitchhike [...]

(7) In this rule: road includes any shoulder of the road, and any median strip, painted island or traffic island, but does not include any other road-related area.

The definition of "road-related area" here is
13 What is a road-related area

(1) A road-related area is any of the following

(a) an area that divides a road;
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;
(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public and designated for use by cyclists or animals;
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles.

The definiton of "shoulder" here is: 12 What is a road

(3) The shoulder of the road includes any part of the road that is not designed to be used by motor vehicles in travelling along the road, and includes:

(a) for a kerbed road -- any part of the kerb; and
(b) for a sealed road -- any unsealed part of the road, and any sealed part of the road outside an edge line on the road

FollowupID: 799391

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 18:01

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 18:01
What a load of crap. Sometimes you see people hitching in a stupid place, and they dont get lifts. But if its safe and not a hazard then thats one of the idiotic laws worth putting in the "ignore" basket.
FollowupID: 799399

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 14:55

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 14:55
If they look like John Jarret leave them where you found them.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518244

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:18

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:18
The best person to ask about this would be Ivan Milat !

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 518251

Reply By: fisho64 - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:30

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:30
as someone else said, broken down as opposed to hitching

Broken down-always unless there appears some specific danger

Hitching-always if there is room and they have made an effort, i.e clean and not sucking on a gasper and obviously a traveller. Once again barring obvious dangers, and a little more hesitant about pairs of males I guess.

As someone said above, how times have changed. I hitched all over the US, Ireland and New Zealand in the 80's.
Met thousands of people both wierd and wonderful, had untold good times and hospitality sometimes from those with next to nothing to give away, made a couple of friends that Im still in contact with now and only a couple of scary experiences one of which was a copper ironically.
AnswerID: 518264

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 01:11

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 01:11
When we are touring we don't have the room, but otherwise we have picked up young European backpackers (oh yes, the armpits - but at least they have been walking not sitting waiting for the world to pick them up) or anyone broken down. As a woman if travelling alone I do not normally pick up hitchhikers. A breakdown or accident is different and I have also hitched lifts in these circumstances.

As you are alone, perhaps make it a rule that you will only pick up single travellers not two or three. These young travellers do make interesting travel companions.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518274

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:44

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:44
50 years ago no problem , today I type NO , those 2 letters should be red text size 72.
I wouldn't stop for anyone standing alone out on any highway , of course there are situations like accidents where one should check out the situation .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518277

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:31

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:31
Don't pick them up if they look like they smell. It doesn't take much for a hitch hiker to have a wash and put on some clean(ish) clothes, it is respectful. I always tried to be clean when hitching, difficult when finishing a week of walking through the mountains but I always keep a clean set of clothes just for this purpose.

But on a more serious note, try not to forget hitching and picking up hitchers is illegal in most states of Australia, if not all of them now, and there is a very good reason for this. It is for both driver's and hitcher's safety. If you see someone who obviously needs help like a breakdown, a bushwalker trying to get back into town or where they parked their car at the beginning of the walk, people travelling through/to places without public transport options, if it is me with my thumb out then of course you pull over. I'm a walker, I don't hitch unless I have no other option.

I pick up hitchers often when I'm travelling long distances. They are usually international backpackers. I enjoy listening to the story of their lives, especially the young ones offering their youthful philosophies acquired through a year on a working visa :)

I do not bother picking up anyone who stands where it is difficult to pull over, not smiling, wearing rags, can't see their face or carrying firearms, although I will almost always stop for someone who is walking in the direction of travel, not just sitting on their pack waiting.

I write a text into my phone about the pick up, or if I'm hitching I will write in the rego and make/model of the car and location and time, just for my own safety. Most people I give a lift to I will also buy them a meal, show them a great lookout or "big" icon and take a selfie with them and post to facebook. Also a safety thing but I end up feeling like a friend by the time I drop them off at their destination or a suitable place to catch another lift onwards.

As a hitcher I have met some amazing people and heard some unbelievable stories. Often drivers will speak to me as if I'm their therapist and I'm okay with that because sometimes all someone needs to do to start feeling better is talk about their troubles.
I have been picked up by police who understood I had no option because there was no public transport. In fact, one trip, from uni back home, a highway patrol officer picked me up and then when he was nearing the end of his zone he called ahead and arranged for a patrol vehicle from the next area to meet us and transfered me to the end of their zone where I had to hitch through a national park. That was fun, sitting in the front of the patrol car reminded me of when i was in the police and for a very brief moment i missed it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518279

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 14:12

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 14:12
Ditto on your hitch hiker post - on pretty much everything, including the policeman lift :-)

When a normal car came by and stopped, I climbed in and he told me in conversation that hitching was illegal (NSW) I asked how did he know? I am a policeman, off duty, he said. Decide to pick me up and help me get where I needed to go to avoid having to clean up the mess later. Considerate policeman.

Truckies are also good at looking out for me, linking lifts or giving trucks travelling in my direction, a heads up.

I almost always walk, not sit on my pack. This is because I like walking, but also for vehicle security. A hitch hiker who is walking is unlikely to have an accomplice or 10 hiding in the bush to ambush you when you stop.
FollowupID: 798599

Reply By: Penchy - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:44

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:44
What a selfish bunch you all are! As pop2jocem said, have a think from the other person's perspective. You make judgements on that hiker standing on the side of the road based solely on how they look, but have no idea the reasons for them standing the looking for a lift.
I see a lot of you playing the "safety" card, so have a think about this. Say you pick someone up and 10kms down the road they pull a knife and tell you to pull over, they want your car. Their knife is maybe 6 inches long, but you are in control of a 2.5 tonne vehicle travelling at 100km p/hr. Which is more deadly?
I pick hikers up because they're just people trying to get from point A to point B
AnswerID: 518298

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 15:04

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 15:04
Great, so you get to die either way, just a matter of which way?

And crikey, I'm being tongue in cheek...

Breakdown, for sure, hitch-hiking - no way...

FollowupID: 798090

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:13

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:13
I have picked up some very smelly and dirty hitchers and had to get the seats cleaned afterwards. I wasn't happy. That is my reasoning for not picking them up.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798150

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:15

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:15
I used to pick up hitchhikers regularly; I once had to walk 10 miles home one night after breaking down and no-one stopped until the speed restriction signs were in view. I declined that lift out of pride.

Hitchhikers are so few and far between now. As the local bus services are at more than an hour apart, you see them standing near the railway station and occasionally I will pick them up. 40 years ago, they could be lined up at the derestriction signs at any large town.

I have my own rules, normally look for backpacks, never pick up more than one and usually put their bags or packs in the boot. I have met some really interesting people, and some that I glad to be rid of when they got out. I will give a lift to a person is near a broken down vehicle (after enquiring what was wrong through a window with the doors locked).

I know of someone who was bashed and robbed by hitchhikers and I have also heard third hand of town local who when confronted with a knife, tightened his seat belt and told the passenger the car was insured, he was insured and he would attempt to slide the car into a tree passenger door first; the knife owner’s choice
FollowupID: 798157

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 20:06

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 20:06
Penchy you are having a go at people for judging people on the way they look ( face value) in situations like this you don't really have much more to go on do you?
At the end of the day you have to go with your gut feeling and if that is prejudging someone well that is how it is
FollowupID: 798379

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 13:50

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 13:50
Some people have made some pretty hectic comments on this thread, but at the end of the day, all you have to go on is looks and attitude. Safety for driver and hitch hiker depends on that.

I am speaking as a hitch hiker in Australia for almost 5 years. There were times when I simply did not have money to pay for transport. If someone gave me a lift, great. If not, that was also ok. The right lift for me always comes along without fail. All those that went on by were simply not the right lifts.

Part of being the hitch hiker is listening to the drivers stories of Australian life. I love it. Sometimes it is my life they are interested in. The lifts are always good. Because they are the right lifts for me.
FollowupID: 798595

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:05

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:05
I once picked up a lone old bloke on the edge of town (NSW side of the border). It was 40+ degrees and he wanted to go to the next town (Vic side of the border) where I'd been living for about 3 weeks. How much trouble could a lone old bloke pose?!
He eyed off my loose coins and pocketed them when I said it was all I had. He wanted somewhere to stay...even though I now lived in Vic I still had NSW plates so I told him I was just going to the such-&-such store and I knew no-one in town... I was only driving my little bomby 120Y coupe so I was hardly looking like rich pickings but he took my loose change anyway!
Had troubles convincing him to get out at the pub and ask around in there for what he needed. Thought I was going to get a house guest for 2 months or something!!
But 5 years later, hubby and I were driving home from holidays (midnight and on lonely stretch of country road) After a 15 hour drive, we were less than 100km from home and had just been discussing people "staging" a scenario and would we stop...10 minutes later passed a Hiace van on its side and a woman waving us down.
Gut instinct said that it was either a pretty elaborately "staged scenario" or real!
We stopped. Damn that road was dark and lonely!
She'd dodged a mob of roos only 5 minutes before and had almost kept control of the van until her load shifted...!
Hubby climbed into van from upper door to find her purse in all the van's jumbled contents and we went to the nearest town for help from the NRMA.
2 different cases.
You'd think the old bloke would be harmless-I thought I wasn't going to get him to leave!
Stopping on an isolated Riverina road at midnight? But our gut instinct said everything was for real.
No-one can give you advice on what to do and what not to do because every case is different.
There is no hard and fast answer. Just gut instinct.

:)

AnswerID: 518326

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 23:03

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 23:03
Picking up hitchhikers is illegal in W.A. So that's at least 3 states it's illegal in. There may be more.
I only pick up hitchhikers if it appears they are in trouble with their vehicle. I've had too many hitchhikers who expect you to have room for their 3 suitcases, plus their enormous backpack.

None of the professional hitchhikers ever offer to make a contribution towards your fuel.
It's like - "you've got a car, and I haven't, so I'm entitled to ride for free in your car".
Then there's always the personality/character question. Who knows if you're aren't picking up a prison escapee who just jumped the fence?
You have to make a snap judgement on someone you do not know in the slightest.
The risk isn't worth it in this day and age. Airfares and bus fares are cheap, there's no need for anyone to hitchhike unless they're a professional bludger.

Who remembers the Abos who would always put a single bloke or girl out on the road? - and as soon as you stopped - another 10 would pile out of the bushes, wanting a ride, too!
Known a few blokes with utes who got caught like that! LOL
One old Jew woolbuyer thought he'd give some Abos a ride on his ute, once. They jumped up on the back - and while they were up there, they kicked a bale of wool off!! LOL
He was SPEWING!! He hated Abos with a vengeance for the rest of his life after that episode!! LOL
Mind you, the Abos never hitchhike today - they drive better cars than us poor whiteys! LOL

Another bloke I knew, had a beautiful, near-new '52 Chev ute that he was so proud of. He picked up a hitchhiker - the hitchhiker threw his bag in the middle of the bench seat - and then the hitchhiker promptly proceeded to put his feet on the dashboard!!

Pud was furious, and thought about what to do. He pulled up in a screech of brakes and said to the hitchhiker - "Would you mind getting out for a minute?" The hitchhiker was puzzled, but got out - then Pud booted the blokes bag out onto the road, and drove off! LOL
AnswerID: 518332

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:18

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:18
When I hitch I offer to help with fuel or a meal. I even push a note down the back of the seat or quickly flick it into their console as I get out if they refuse to accept it. It makes a huge difference but i have never had one I picked up do the same. I think it is rare.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798151

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 13:43

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 13:43
Aborigine have never driven past me in Remote Outback Australia without stopping and asking if I was ok, or needed a lift. Plenty of white people have.

When it was clear that there was not a seat available in an over crowded car, they have always squeezed me in somewhere, even if it was on top of two tyres with a narrow gap to the ceiling.
FollowupID: 798594

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 14:09

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 14:09
Yer not wrong there, Gaynor. The Abos will always stop for you - but they expect all whiteys to always stop for them, too!
I broke down with a stripped timing gear in my HK Holden ute, about 200kms S of the Uluru turnoff in July 1969 - and I had to hitch a ride into Coober Pedy to get a new timing gear.

I hitched a ride South with a truckie in an old 1950's wooden-cab Foden (an interesting ride in itself) - but when I came back, the Abos picked me up with a near-new 5 ton truck!

I ended up on the tray amongst about 25 Abos, and they were passing a wine flagon around continuously, and kept offering me a drink!
Now THAT, was one of the most interesting hitch-hikes I'd had to do! LOL

When we lived in Higginsville in the early '80's, the brother was heading into Kalgoorlie with the HJ61 Toyota - and the Abos from Norseman flagged him down by standing in the middle of the road - as they always do - right next to their broken down Holden.

When he pulled up, one of the Abos says - "Ehhh, do you reckon you could lend us a spare wheel, mate! We got a flat!"
Brother says, "Well, my spare isn't much good to you, it's a Landcruiser wheel, and it won't fit a Holden!"

So the old Abo looks a bit downcast - but then he brightens up and says, "Well, would you have some oil??" We got no oil in the engine either!"

The brother says, "Unfortunately, I'm not carrying any oil at present, either - but how did you lose all your engine oil, anyway??"

And the old Abo says, "Well, when the tyre blew, the tread come right off - and it knocked the cork right out of the sump!!" ROFL!
FollowupID: 798597

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 20:51

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 20:51
I hitched once and the lift I got put me off for life.

Always said I would never pick up a hitcher. Then one day that changed. I had my wife and 3yr old daughter in the shortie Patrol and was coming down from Charlotte Pass toward Perisher. It was January but pouring rain and freezing cold.

I spotted 5 guys carrying huge packs. They were not asking for a lift, just head down marching toward their destination.

Having walked in similar circumstances I couldn't drive past.

They piled their packs on the roof, and squeezed in wherever they could and I drove them down to Perisher where they thanked me profusely and left. I was genuinely pleased to be able to help.

Years later I saw the car in front of me spin and spear off into the bush. We were 40k east of Broken Hill, it was late at night and I had only my three kids with me. The oldest was learning to drive. My initial thought was to give the guy a lift into town but an inner voice told me to be careful.

The guy turned out to be drunk, disgustingly smelly and offensive. Had he walked to the side of the road I would almost certainly have pulled up beside him and offered a lift. As it was I left him there drove into town and reported it to the Police.

They are two different stories. I would never give a lift to someone who was simply stationed at the side of the road with a hand out. But would I stop for hitchers again? Depends on a whole bunch of stuff.

Duncs

AnswerID: 518390

Reply By: River Swaggie - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 17:33

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 17:33
I used too, until I gave a bloke a ride from Phillip Island to Cranbourne, about an hour for people who don't know the area, so he was told where I was turning off, so we come to the drop off and he said can you please drop me further up the road and I said look mate its not raining etc and its 10 minutes out of my way but I did it, then he said I need you to drive me another 20 minutes up the road again, I pulled over and said that's it hop out, and he refused, so I said mate if I have to unbuckle my seat belt and rip you out my bloody car you'll come off second best, another gf word, right so as I unbuckled my seat belt opened my door and as I was ready to run around and drag him out he got out,I said so that's the Thanks I get for driving you all the way here and going out of my way, your an a-hole and I got into my vehicle and drove off.

Funny thing a couple of months later I see him hitch hiking again so I pulled over up the road a bit and just as he got to the vehicle I drove off with a wave out the Window, guess karma finally caught up with him. So now everyone miss's out, I pick no one up.

AnswerID: 518501

Sponsored Links