Flat out hoses Vs Woolworths 'Pocket hose'

Submitted: Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:01
ThreadID: 104342 Views:4272 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

My wife pulled the flatout hose of the caravan yesterday and the female connection flew apart.

Now this connector is a one piece thing that is attached to the hose and does not look like it can be replaced.

I rang the flatout people a couple of hours ago and have not heard back from them.

Does anyone know if the connection can be cut off the hose and a new one put on?

Anyway I carry a pocket hose around to wash the car and my wife used that as a substitute. I tried the water and it did not have the taint taste you quite often get from a normal garden hose.

Does anyone use one of these hoses to regularly hook up at a caravan park?

I carry it because it shrinks up to the size of a small rockmelon and is easy to store.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:24

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:24
Hi Boo Boo,
Mate, what the hell is a pocket hose.??

They don't let me out that often so I don't get to see a lot of things. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518246

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 17:16

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 17:16
Had a bit of a look around the web and found the pocket hose. Interesting concept.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798040

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:05

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:05
Sorry Bruce

Did not see your post about looking it up.
FollowupID: 798044

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:47

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 16:47
I have 3 types of caravan style hose.

1)The cheap flat host, mine is green. Works ok, the fittings are a bit cheap and hard to replace. I did fix it once but worry that it will break again any day. 7/10

2)A flexible extending hose - pocket hose style. Great and light weight and packs away easily. The only trouble is that it shrinks and grows as you turn taps on and off, if you use its entire length it will try to shrink too much and pull at you when the water is running.

Nearly a good idea. 5/10

3)A good quality flat hose like this

Flat hose

Built like a fire hose, tough but a little bulkier than the other 2. More expensive but the one I use 99% of the time.

9.5/10/
AnswerID: 518247

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:03

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 18:03
Ok fella's

Flathose got back to me earlier this afternoon and will send the ball bearings and grub screw.

If that doesn't fix the problem I have to send the hose back to them and they will put a new fitting on it, no charge for either.

Can't complain about that.

Now I did a bit of research on pocket hoses to see what sort of reviews they got these days and was quite surprised to see so many negative reviews.

I have had mine for 2years (Big W) and have no problems, although it does not have the valve the newer ones appear to have.

Bruce it is a hose made from nylon and something else and shrinks down to next to nothing.

Just type pocket hose into goooooogle.

Boobook, where the caravan goes our flatout hose goes. Not cheap, but this is the first problem in about 6 years.

FollowupID: 798043

Reply By: MadCowz-lifemember (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:05

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:05
Fittings should be quite getable, if i can get them for my 3 inch layflat hose they should be available for smaller sizes. the layflat should be very durable, ours takes up to 150psi and has lasted 10 years so far so with a lower load they should have a good lifespan

nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518278

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:51

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:51
G"day Nick

I went to Bunnings yesterday and could not find anything that came close to fitting the flatout hose.

Can you suggest another place I could look, as it would be handy to carry a spare.

FollowupID: 798068

Follow Up By: MadCowz-lifemember (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:32

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 22:32
BooBoo,
I think your best bet would be a plumber who has some knowledge of irrigation supplies.

Good luck,
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798123

Sponsored Links