Lake Nuga Nuga National Park v Carnarvon Gorge

Submitted: Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 21:16
ThreadID: 104352 Views:3365 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy. We are on day 82 of our 6 month adventure. Currently in Palm Cove and heading south... The initial plan was to arrive in Carnarvon Gorge on 24th of Sept and ideally be in Chinchilla on the 27th however due to school holidays Carnarvon Gorge is booked out... So.

Having no idea about either Carnarvon Gorge or Lake Nuga Nuga NP can anyone answer:
(a) is Lake Nuga Nuga likely to be busy as well given it is more remote and you can't actually book to stay there
(b) any other suggestions for ways to see Carnarvon without actually camping in it...?

my last post on the forum about Aviation Camps received a great response for which I was very appreciative so any help again is appreciated....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:35

Monday, Sep 16, 2013 at 22:35
The actual Lake Nuga Nuga is private property, Nuga Nuga National Park is the big hill next to the lake, that said it seems as though the owners give everyone free rein regarding access to the lake. The road in (off Arcadia Valley) can be fairly rough at times and was closed most of last year and earlier this year. Most people go in there for the peace and quiet and twitching.

Not too sure if you can get through "Arcadia Station" to get to the Carnarvon Highway or you may have to go down to "Wallaroo" to get though if you want to get to Carnarvon Gorge.

AnswerID: 518265

Reply By: Krooznalong - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:59

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:59
Re Carnarvon Gorge - is Takarakka Bush Resort also booked out?
That and the NP campground (very small) are the only official places to camp.
Only way to see it is walking AFAIK.

There's a chopper that flies you over another nearby gorge area (they are not allowed to fly over CG NP) - as we'd walked CG previously we drove in, did the chopper flight and went back out and bush camped that night.

Can't comment on how busy Nuga Nuga would be but it was a very quiet relaxing spot when we were there last month. 2 other campers in there apart from us but that was out of school holidays. Road in was bumpy but it was OK at the appropriate speed and tyre pressures.
AnswerID: 518296

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:26

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:26
Don't discount going to Mt Moffatt as it is a great experience as well abiet a little bit more remote to Carnarvon Gorge.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518297

Sponsored Links