Gas bottle Inside Hiace Camper

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:23
ThreadID: 104358 Views:5010 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi We are having problems finding information about gas bottle installation in a hiace camper. We are building a camper from a hiace van and wish to run a cooker from a gas bottle. We would like to install a 2kg gas bottle in a proper box near the cooker with a hole in the floor as a vent but are not sure if this is legal. If we are only use a 2kg bottle do we have to have an external box or can we install the bottle inside the van its self. Hope someone can help out there as we can not find any information on gas installation regulations for campers in NSW.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:44

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:44
Google is your friend!

Click on this link ...... OFFICE OF GAS SAFETY

AnswerID: 518281

Follow Up By: Rosy - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:43

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:43
That is a great help. Thank you very much. I have saved this and will keep it as a handy reference. I must have been googling the wrong thing. Should have looked for gas safety!!
FollowupID: 798072

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:27

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:27
Of course your licensed gas fitter should have all this information for you if you are making the space for the cylinder and appliance.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798084

Follow Up By: Rosy - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 13:56

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 13:56
Thanks to everyone. We wanted some idea of what we were allowed to do so that we could plan our layout but now we know. It is very hard to find a licenced gas fitter who knows anything about campervans around here but at last we have found one. Actually he just read the Office of Gas Safety info the same as me!! But at least he is prepared to do the job and give us a certificate, several we rang were just not willing to do it. I suppose because it was such a small job. Cheers Rosy
FollowupID: 798257

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:38

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:38
It certainly is not legal in Australia Rosy and for good reasons. My family purchased a camper van in UK in the 1960s and even then, on bringing it back to Australia we had to have to gas cylinder placed on the exterior. At the time they were place at the rear, but now that would not be accepted either.

If you Google "Fire safety, Smoke Alarms, Caravan gas safety" you should find an article with practical information about and links to all aspects of safety with gas in caravans and campers.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518290

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:27

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:27
The cylinder can be installed within the walls of the camper as long as it is fully sealed with no access from within the van & has a drain hole to the atmosphere at the lowest point.
FollowupID: 798073

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:21

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 13:21
Also Rosy you will need suitable vents to allow for escape of gas as you are having a gas cooker in the camper. If you are fitting a gas fridge note also the requirement to have the gas flame of a gas fridge sealed to the exterior similar to what Shaker has said about the gas cylinder. Compartments must be lined with a fireproof material in both cases.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798082

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:07

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:07
In Australia All gas fitting and connection for an installation MUST be done by a licenced gas fitter. If you do anything and there is a problem or an accident and someone is hurt by the actions then you are liable for criminal charges. Also you are will not be covered by any form of insurance.
Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518313

Sponsored Links