Coober Pedy here we come

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 16:53
ThreadID: 104362 Views:1813 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading up to Coober Pedy next week via Goog's Track then across the Painted Desert to Oodnadatta and back to Adelaide. Any information from the seasoned traveler's much appreciated. Went to Birdsville via the Simpson last year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 17:32

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 17:32
Coober Pedy is a great town! That sounds like a great trip! Enjoy! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518304

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:09

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2013 at 20:09
Was in Coober Pedy for a few nights 2 weeks back - a few tips..1. Fuel at the Mobil on the lower main street was 4c cheaper than at the big Caltex up at the top of the main street (the Mobil is a bit shambolic inside and the owner was having a blue with another customer while I paid, but hey.... the fuel was good :-o). 2. You can buy A grade water from a bowser in the main street, opposite the Caltex .. 20c/30L....water is very scarce up there... nobody offers it free. 3. If you go out to the Breakaways Lookout at sunset (well worth the drive - about 70k all up - spectacular), be prepared for the worst flies we have ever encountered anywhere on our outback travels... still hard to believe the concentration - it was untenable to be out of the car - I lasted a few minutes for photos and that was in a very stiff wind... if it had been calm, I might not have survived the ordeal :-o). Oh... the flies were only a nuisance back in Coober itself. We stayed at the Stuart Range CP - new high quality amenities...their in-house pizza restaurant was being refurbished... probably open again now.
AnswerID: 518315

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:38

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:38
We were out there in March and the flies were horrid, am going back again the end of next week and was hoping the flies were going to be better, your post has not given me much confidence LOL

Still I will happily put up with them to be there just the same
FollowupID: 798146

Reply By: The Bunyip - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 13:52

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 13:52
Don't expect much of Coober Pedy.
It's the type of place you visit once so you can say you've been there.

No doubt others may have had different experiences, but 90% of the worlds opals are mined in this area so some of the locals treated us like we intended stealing the wealth. We found some people abrupt & rude. Conversely, visit some the jewellery stores and they couldn't be friendlier!!

Have been all over our great country & can honestly say I couldn't get out of Coober Pedy quickly enough. That aside, hopefully you'll enjoy many other places & people on your trip. Drive carefully.
AnswerID: 518359

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 15:21

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 15:21
hi Sandra j
I visited coober-pedy in October 1987 and thoroughly enjoyed the place it is so different to anywhere else
with the right attitude and exceptence of its diversity it can be a good experience
but all depends on individual likes and dislikes
go with an open mind and you will probably enjoy it

one can hardly blame the flys for having a smorgasbord
on the tourists its a change to sucking on a roo or lizard
cheers
FollowupID: 798179

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 00:22

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 00:22
Coober Pedy is the pits
FollowupID: 798397

Reply By: Member - Sandra J2 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:18

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:18
Coober Pedy is what it is... I was curious about the treks and country surrounding it.
I know exactly what to expect from the town... My son is a Police Officer here as someone has to keep some order. He contends with more than the average person. We are so lucky to have water, wonderful views and a peaceful environment and take these for granted. Same with the flies... just where have they been?
Thank You All for your information... Happy for more SJ
AnswerID: 518363

Sponsored Links